U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 05:22 PM

31 posts, read 60,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Read again:

I applied for a job with the county in a field I had been going to college (and getting straight A grades) for - I took the test - scored 100% - had great references - was told I "would have been hired" except "you don't speak Spanish".

Had I been fired for not speaking Spanish I would be currently living in my villa in Tahiti on the money I made from THAT lawsuit.

When you went to college and got a degree, why didn't you look at the companies that you were going to try applying to first. If spanish is such a priority, you should have taken spanish.

The is the thing with capatalism. You do what it takes to make the most money, and if it involves doing business with people who speak another language, then it is going to happen.

What kind of job only wants spanish speakers anyway? A call center? Not really a college degree type of job......

Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've brought this up before...and it was pretty much ignored.

I served in the Navy. There are a lot of Filipinos in the Navy. They speak their own language amongst themselves.

Is this any sort of problem??
In my opinion, no, unless they expected all the signage to be in Filipino, and/or if they wouldn't learn English and expected all the shipmates to learn Filipino to accommodate them.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:

I served in the Navy. There are a lot of Filipinos in the Navy. They speak their own language amongst themselves.

Hey shipmate! I was also in the Navy (JFK CVN-67) Desert Storm and we had entire companies with nothing but Tagalog speakers from the Philippines.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:09 AM

969 posts, read 2,459,662 times
Quote:

Thank you for your service - what people do "amongst themselves" has no impact on ME or my tax dollars or my ability to understand or be understood by the counter help at McDonalds

Old 04-11-2008, 04:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 817,589 times
I think I remember people saying that it was rude for Hispanics to speak Spanish amongst themselves at their workplace. Have we had a change of mind or what-- ay?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 PM

451 posts, read 235,437 times
Quote:

If they feel happy speaking a different language among themselves, I am happy for them, we have freedom of speech in this country and people are allowed to talk whatever they want in the language of their choice.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I think I remember people saying that it was rude for Hispanics to speak Spanish amongst themselves at their workplace. Have we had a change of mind or what-- ay?

If they said that it was a crock, it hurts nothing for them to speak their native language

Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
If they feel happy speaking a different language among themselves, I am happy for them, we have freedom of speech in this country and people are allowed to talk whatever they want in the language of their choice.

You've got that right Barinnas, who or what is it hurting

Old 04-12-2008, 06:15 AM

969 posts, read 2,459,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
This topic was never about people speaking their native language amongst themselves. Who cares? It is about the attempt of one culture to make another language equal and as prevalent as English when it comes to accomodations - I am positive I see no government pamphlets in Flillipino - I am sure I have never been asked to press "1" for Fillipino - and there is no doubt in my mind that if a Hispanic person walked into a store and the only clerks that were there spoke ONLY Fillipino they would walk out and vow to never return - they would NOT go running to the closest Fillipino language class

Old 04-12-2008, 07:00 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
This topic was never about people speaking their native language amongst themselves. Who cares? It is about the attempt of one culture to make another language equal and as prevalent as English when it comes to accomodations - I am positive I see no government pamphlets in Flillipino - I am sure I have never been asked to press "1" for Fillipino - and there is no doubt in my mind that if a Hispanic person walked into a store and the only clerks that were there spoke ONLY Fillipino they would walk out and vow to never return - they would NOT go running to the closest Fillipino language class
For that matter: where many of the people living there, if they were Americans, not Brits, would be Hispanic, is Gibraltar---------but their official website is in English only.

Gibraltar Official Website gibraltar.gi - Home: Directory Service

Government of Gibraltar

The Official Site of the Miss Gibraltar Pageant

Last edited by ArizonaBear; 04-12-2008 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or