U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 04:55 AM

969 posts, read 2,465,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Understand this, if everything else exceeds your powers of comprehension. This is the United States of America. Whatever was here before is past. Whatever may be here later is future. TODAY this is the USA, and we speak ENGLISH here. Not Spanish, not German, not French, not Nahuatl. E-N-G-L-I-S-H. That's the language our Constitution was written in, it's the language we use in front of the Supreme Court, it is the de facto national tongue.

IMHO, people who advocate for ANY other language are advocating AGAINST the one thing that has best held this nation together for the last 230 years. Those people need to THINK about what they're doing, and cogitate on the consequences of marginalizing the single LARGEST thing that has held us together THIS long.

Those people can KMA.
While this post is rather harsh - I agree - it is a common language that binds a diverse nation. The language of the USA is ENGLISH. Speak what you want at home - in public - ENGLISH

Old 04-15-2008, 05:35 PM

451 posts, read 236,472 times
Quote:
United States - established 1776

Mexico - established 1821

Southwestern U.S. - established 1848

It doesn't matter what language was spoken on this soil prior to 1848, the language of this nation is ENGLISH. I understand that you love the Spanish language, and I don't have a problem with that. The problem arises when you try to force or justify the Spanish language in THIS nation.

And BTW, have you noticed that the root word of 'Spanish' is SPAIN, a EUROPEAN country?
St. Augustine, FL established 1508 by Juan Ponce de Leon, centuries before
United States, and like so many other Spanish establishments, they have
experienced constatnt progress, Spanish has always been an integral part
of the US, and continues growing in relevance, nowadays every imaginable service is provided in Spanish, US is a proud bilingual state

Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,055,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
United States, and like so many other Spanish establishments, they have
experienced constatnt progress, Spanish has always been an integral part
of the US, and continues growing in relevance, nowadays every imaginable service is provided in Spanish, US is a proud bilingual state
Perhaps it should be regional, I'm sure Louisiana has a strong argument for making French (or their brand of it, Cajun) the official language of that state. I mean, historically it is accurate, right?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:02 PM

9,070 posts, read 15,509,515 times
New Mexico actually had its official language as Spanish/English now it has no official language.

Quote:
According the 2000 U.S. Census, 28.76% of the population aged 5 and over speak Spanish at home, while 4.07% speak Navajo.[4]
New Mexico is commonly thought to have Spanish as an official language alongside English, due to the widespread usage of Spanish in the state. Although the original state constitution of 1912 provided for a temporarily bilingual government, New Mexico has no official language. Nevertheless, the state government publishes a driver's manual as well as ballots in both languages, although they are required to publish ballots in Spanish by federal law.
The constitution provided that, for the following twenty years, all laws passed by the legislature be published in both Spanish and English, and thereafter as the legislature should provide.
Prior to 1967, notices of statewide and county elections were required to be printed in English and "may be printed in Spanish." Additionally, many legal notices today are required to be published in both English and Spanish.[5]
In 1995, New Mexico adopted a "State Bilingual Song," titled "New Mexico - Mi Lindo Nuevo México.
New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 PM

451 posts, read 236,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
New Mexico actually had its official language as Spanish/English now it has no official language.

New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we are all in the bi-lingual nation wagon!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 AM

1,268 posts, read 821,981 times
I'm curious to know what the official language of Puerto Rico. After all, they are American citizens.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:28 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,364,057 times
Quote:
What's your point?
Taco. buckaroo. lariat. You'd be amazed how many "English" words come from the Spanish.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,364,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I'm curious to know what the official language of Puerto Rico. After all, they are American citizens.
My girlfriend when I was in high school spoke BOTH. Of course, her mother was Anglo and her father Puerto Rican...so that might have a little to do with it. The last time I talked to her, her accent was a lot less noticeable.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 AM

969 posts, read 2,465,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
United States,
Funny - he was looking for the fountain of youth - instead founded a place for old people to retire

Perhaps he should have asked for directions

IN ENGLISH

Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 AM

334 posts, read 742,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Both Spanish and English are official -- but if you go, you'd be well off if you speak Spanish, it predominates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or