U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:03 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,698,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
i speak english am i not showing you respect.it's not just hispanics.
I think it shows respect when someone from another country makes a real effort to learn English here and use it whenever possible. Those that choose not to and want us to speak theirs, no it doesn't show respect.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
language, computer, MBA, they keep raising the bar no?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 AM

582 posts, read 1,786,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think it shows respect when someone from another country makes a real effort to learn English here and use it whenever possible. Those that choose not to and want us to speak theirs, no it doesn't show respect.
i speak it and was not born here so you're comments do not apply to me.try not to speak as if everyone is the same way.i came to this country and learned my english so i have no problem defending myself.you are generalizing hispanics as if every single one is the same.please take me out of that group of people in south florida that refuse to learn english and not get ahead.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,698,771 times
Quote:
i speak it and was not born here so you're comments do not apply to me.try not to speak as if everyone is the same way.i came to this country and learned my english so i have no problem defending myself.you are generalizing hispanics as if every single one is the same.please take me out of that group of people in south florida that refuse to learn english and not get ahead.
WTH are you talking about?!?! At what point did I say anything about hispanics? And you can speak it ,but can you read it, otherwise you wouldn't be commenting on me generalizing Hispanics by saying they get mad when I speak German to them and they expect me to speak Spanish. The ones i deal with do, did I say all, no!!!

So since my comment about people speaking English that come from another country doesn't apply to you, I guess that means you are not respectful. Wow

Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM

185 posts, read 319,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I have no trouble with Hispanic people - what I have trouble with is the idea that in an English speaking country we are expected to learn a language of another culture.

What happens when the Chinese send 22 million people over here (leaving them PLENTY more to send later) - will we be expected to learn Chinese - and if so - which dialect?

My grandparents on both sides came to this country from elsewhere. Their FIRST goal after finding a place to live was to learn ENGLISH - they didn't expect the North American's already here to learn THEIR language.

Why has that changed?
I can only imagine the outcry from the Hispanic community if some version of the Chinese language started cropping up all across America, signs in Chinese only, Chinese being required for jobs, etc. They would be livid!

It is very likely that will occur sometime in the not-so-distant future as asians make up the majority of people on the planet.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
I can only imagine the outcry from the Hispanic community if some version of the Chinese language started cropping up all across America, signs in Chinese only, Chinese being required for jobs, etc. They would be livid!

It is very likely that will occur sometime in the not-so-distant future as asians make up the majority of people on the planet.
then you would have 2 problems because you'd have to learn spanish and chinese.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM

17,281 posts, read 24,972,811 times
Quote:

And it would mean new immigrants will have TWO languages they'll refuse to learn: Chinese and English.

Luckily, unlike many of our "uninvited guests" in this country, Asian immigrants show at least a willingness to learn the language!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 PM

185 posts, read 319,606 times
Quote:
Would that be Spangeselish? At my age I'm struggling with remote controls and forget about text messaging! The only option I have is to keep fighting for my country.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And it would mean new immigrants will have TWO languages they'll refuse to learn: Chinese and English.

Luckily, unlike many of our "uninvited guests" in this country, Asian immigrants show at least a willingness to learn the language!
you mean like the ones that work in the back of the chinese restaurants that look at you like you have 10 heads.sure they speak a lot of english.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:53 PM

17,281 posts, read 24,972,811 times
Quote:
you mean like the ones that work in the back of the chinese restaurants that look at you like you have 10 heads.sure they speak a lot of english.
Maybe. Because I've never heard of a Chinese person yell at a store clerk for not speaking Chinese, where I have heard of more than one "Spanish speaking" persons doing the same.

Again, maybe it's just where I live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or