U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My girlfriend when I was in high school spoke BOTH. Of course, her mother was Anglo and her father Puerto Rican...so that might have a little to do with it. The last time I talked to her, her accent was a lot less noticeable.
I once knew a White Puerto Rican lady who was married to a generic Anglo guy-------their daughter could not pass for a stereotypical 'Latina' if her life depended on it.

And; it broke the mom's heart------daughter hated Mexicans.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I once knew a White Puerto Rican lady who was married to a generic Anglo guy-------their daughter could not pass for a stereotypical 'Latina' if her life depended on it.

And; it broke the mom's heart------daughter hated Mexicans.
Puerto Ricans and Cubans tend to think they are better than Mexicans IMO and look down on them, I think it is mainly because Mexicans are seen as doing most of the manual work.

However when I lived in South Florida rarely did I ever encounter a problem actually the majority of the girls I dated were Puerto Rican and Cuban. They were normally ok, but the parents were still old school and looked down.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 AM

38 posts, read 151,586 times
I don't understand why some people are so afraid of other languages
In Europe and Latin America, people are encouraged to learn a second or third language. Spanish speaking people are a big market and they are here to stay, it makes sense that business owners recognize this and takes advantage of it.

American companies overseas also require and prefer English speaking personnel, what's the big deal?
Dell and Microsoft have plants in Central America, and most everyone speaks English, even though the region's language is Spanish.
Being bilingual in these countries is seen as an asset, not as a threat.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_Mom View Post
I don't understand why some people are so afraid of other languages
In Europe and Latin America, people are encouraged to learn a second or third language. Spanish speaking people are a big market and they are here to stay, it makes sense that business owners recognize this and takes advantage of it.

American companies overseas also require and prefer English speaking personnel, what's the big deal?
Dell and Microsoft have plants in Central America, and most everyone speaks English, even though the region's language is Spanish.
Being bilingual in these countries is seen as an asset, not as a threat.
I am not 'afraid' to learn another language---------I choose not to.

World traveler I ain't.

BTW: I am first US born generation in my family.

That stated: if I moved to Argentina, etc. I would make damn sure to learn the dominant tongue---------and, learn it well

Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
I HATE seeing this on job postings!!!

How difficult would it be for a English speaking accounting/financial professional to get a job without speaking Spanish fluently in Miami?
Ok AZBear well in MIAMI where the OP was looking for a job, Spanish just might be dominant.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM

38 posts, read 151,586 times
Quote:
I am not 'afraid' to learn another language---------I choose not to.

World traveler I ain't.

BTW: I am first US born generation in my family.

That stated: if I moved to Argentina, etc. I would make damn sure to learn the dominant tongue---------and, learn it well
I'm sure you're not afraid to learn another language, what I mean is that we shouldn't be afraid to let others speak other languages.
So what if other people want to speak Chinese, Russian or Portuguese? who cares? if I go to a business and they don't speak my language I go elsewhere, and I find that most foreigners always try to speak English if I give them a chance.
If I see people speaking in other languages I never assume they're talking about me or conspiring against me, maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_Mom View Post
I'm sure you're not afraid to learn another language, what I mean is that we shouldn't be afraid to let others speak other languages.
So what if other people want to speak Chinese, Russian or Portuguese? who cares? if I go to a business and they don't speak my language I go elsewhere, and I find that most foreigners always try to speak English if I give them a chance.
If I see people speaking in other languages I never assume they're talking about me or conspiring against me, maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.
I believe that the point being made is not that everyone should only speak English.....of course other languages should be spoken. What should not happen is having Spanish printed on government forms. Of course all immigrants should have ample time to learn English, but there is a segment that refuses to learn. And that is very devisive.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I believe that the point being made is not that everyone should only speak English.....of course other languages should be spoken. What should not happen is having Spanish printed on government forms. Of course all immigrants should have ample time to learn English, but there is a segment that refuses to learn. And that is very devisive.
I agree.

Aside from public health/safety concerns---------all governmental documention should be in English only. That means driving tests, voting ballots, etc.

Hell: Gibraltar; where most of its residents would be considered 'Hispanic' if born in the USA-------its official government website is in English, no Spanish, Italian, or anything else.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:38 PM

334 posts, read 741,485 times
Quote:
I agree.

Aside from public health/safety concerns---------all governmental documention should be in English only. That means driving tests, voting ballots, etc.

Hell: Gibraltar; where most of its residents would be considered 'Hispanic' if born in the USA-------its official government website is in English, no Spanish, Italian, or anything else.
Gibralter is/was a BRITISH protectorate.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
go to school and learn spanish it would only be an advantage for you.why make something negative out of something that would benefit you?less qualified than you?now would that be because their hispanic?because that's what it sounds like.
You sound insecure and angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or