U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 PM

126 posts, read 245,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
When I was in Middle School, I took two years of Spanish. Our teacher was from Puerto Rico.

When I went to visit my step-grandmother (Colombian), I tried talking to her in Spanish, and telling her all the words I knew. I remember her making a face when I told her my teacher was Puerto Rican, because that wasn't the Spanish she wanted me to learn!
The reason for that is that Puerto Rican spanish is very "pure", their background is heavily European, the natives were "wiped out" early during colonization, while Colombia like central america and other countries in south america have significant indian ancestry. That's also the reason why Puerto Ricans tend to be tall and fair skinned, while colombians tend to short and darker.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM

29 posts, read 105,588 times
Some years ago I applied for a job that required "bi-lingual." I applied and was contacted for a phone interview. During said interview, the lady asked me where I learned Spanish. I told her that I did not speak Spanish. She then became a bit indignant that I claimed to be bi-lingual. I advised her that bi-lingual meant two languages and that I was actualy multi-lingual, speaking English, Russian, French and Vietnamese. Needless to say, I wasn't hired but it does irritate me when now "bi-lingual" is expected to mean Spanish.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,160,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
The reason for that is that Puerto Rican spanish is very "pure", their background is heavily European, the natives were "wiped out" early during colonization, while Colombia like central america and other countries in south america have significant indian ancestry. That's also the reason why Puerto Ricans tend to be tall and fair skinned, while colombians tend to short and darker.
The only "pure" Spanish is Spanish from Spain. As the only "pure" English is from Britain.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,917,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
I HATE seeing this on job postings!!!

How difficult would it be for a English speaking accounting/financial professional to get a job without speaking Spanish fluently in Miami?
I totally agree

Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 PM

Can anyone make the connection to immigration?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:26 AM

969 posts, read 2,460,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
Miami, is basically a hispanic city, they handle bussines with Latin American people, that is why spanish is too important when hiring, they want to get a good grip of the market in their own language, simple.
Learn spanish, I strongly recommend it, very soon hispanic population in America, will take at leat 25% of the entire country census. You got it now?

Miami is an AMERICAN city in FLORIDA (which last time I checked was STILL a part of the USA) that has a number of residents who CHOSE to come to THIS COUNTRY to become AMERICANS. Not HISPANIC Americans or Australian Americans or Oriental Americans.

AMERICANS.

Language should be the common language of a country -not a specific ethnic group.

Cultural diversity is a wonderful thing - speak Spanish at home - teach your children where their parents/grandparents came from - celebrate the 5th of May or Columbus Day or Inca Freedom Day for all I care.

But do NOT expect ME to have to push ONE for English in America and to think this is the way things should be.

AMERICANS of ALL ethnic origins (should) EXPECT to learn ENGLISH when they move here.

I see no reason to learn SPANISH (unless I choose to visit a SPANISH country - where I would EXPECT to speak THEIR language)

Comprende?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 AM

407 posts, read 715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Can anyone make the connection to immigration?
I sure can and so can any thinking American.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:54 PM

608 posts, read 881,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
You are not serious are you? You obviously do not know many Puerto Ricans or Columbians. Pure Spanish (as someone else posted in here) is from Spain. Like American English vs. British English the Spanish (Spain) consider Spanish spoken in the Americas as Latin American Spanish. Each country has its own slang. You can't go to Spain and ask for a guineo where in PR it is Taino for banana. Yet in Mexico a banana is plantano while at the same time in PR a plantano is a type of banana that is cooked and never eaten raw. That doesn't cover those who have moved to the mainland US and returned theyby affecting their fluency in Spanish. So what do you mean by pure? OK that is language but tall white Puerto Ricans? Sure there are many but they are also varied in height and color more so than what you describe.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
You are not serious are you? You obviously do not know many Puerto Ricans or Columbians. Pure Spanish (as someone else posted in here) is from Spain. Like American English vs. British English the Spanish (Spain) consider Spanish spoken in the Americas as Latin American Spanish. Each country has its own slang. You can't go to Spain and ask for a guineo where in PR it is Taino for banana. Yet in Mexico a banana is plantano while at the same time in PR a plantano is a type of banana that is cooked and never eaten raw. That doesn't cover those who have moved to the mainland US and returned theyby affecting their fluency in Spanish. So what do you mean by pure? OK that is language but tall white Puerto Ricans? Sure there are many but they are also varied in height and color more so than what you describe.
As far as I'm concerned, like the U.S, Latin Americans in general are as White as Daisy Fuentes and as Dark as Sammy Sosa. I believe it was George Lopez who said this .

Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I totally agree
IS it really legal for them to post jobs that way. My city is posting city jobs in this manner

gertee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or