U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:50 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,562,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
They may not be legally eligible for Medicare, but then again, they aren't here in this country legally to begin with, and they are most definitely collecting it.
Which no one is arguing or refuting. So now that we agree that it is illegally happening and illegal immigrants are not legally eligible for it, how do you reasonably enforce it to prevent people from illegally getting Medicare? Cribster is giving one idea, what do you propose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 PM

15,181 posts, read 10,273,122 times
Quote:
They may not be legally eligible for Medicare, but then again, they aren't here in this country legally to begin with, and they are most definitely collecting it.
The truth….the whole truth….and nothing but the truth!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Before this thread becomes another whine session about illegal immigrants, let’s try to make this more constructive and follow a few reasonable assumptions to move towards reasonable solutions:

1) Illegal immigrants are not legally eligible for Medicare/SSI.
2) An unknown number of illegal immigrants are using fraudulent forms of identification.
3) An unknown number of illegal immigrants are illegally receiving Medicare/SSI benefits.
4) An unknown number of illegal immigrants, legal immigrants, and US citizens are illegally receiving medicare and SSI benefits.

Now that we have that, what enforcement solutions are there to prevent people from illegally obtaining SSI and/or Medicare? Of course my solution is more money towards enforcement, but then where do we take that money from to go towards enforcement?

Government is so compartmentalized that you just cant take it from A to give to B, as politicians in charge of A don’t want their money moved away from A. So B has to get it from somewhere as they don’t want to move money around from within B. So what do you do?

Last edited by madicarus2000; 01-17-2008 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 PM

9,758 posts, read 13,808,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Which no one is arguing or refuting. So now that we agree that it is illegally happening and illegal immigrants are not legally eligible for it, how do you reasonably enforce it to prevent people from illegally getting Medicare? Cribster is giving one idea, what do you propose?
What I would propose is that our laws be enforced, and our lily-livered politicians and bureaucrats stop making us take it bent over. It would be quite simple - no legitimate SSN, no benefits. If the number provided doesn't match the name of the applicant or isn't an actual SSN, deny benefit.

No need to start massive deportion - once the people riding the gravy train get the boot, and can't catch up to hop back on the train, there will be no reason to stay.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM

185 posts, read 239,873 times
Quote:
What I would propose is that our laws be enforced, and our lily-livered politicians and bureaucrats stop making us take it bent over. It would be quite simple - no legitimate SSN, no benefits. If the number provided doesn't match the name of the applicant or isn't an actual SSN, deny benefit.

No need to start massive deportion - once the people riding the gravy train get the boot, and can't catch up to hop back on the train, there will be no reason to stay.

Therein lies the crux of the problem. The oligarchy that Capitol Hill is working towards wants a subservient population, to do that they have to eliminate the middle class and illegal immigration is the perfect vehicle for doing so.

Americans have become too comfortable and therefore complacent and apathetic. We have let our "leaders" get away with too much for too long. Bush signed a law into effect to build an 854 mile, double fence with $3 billion in funding to start with. While we were enjoying the Christmas season and not watching as close as usual, Kay Bailey Hutchison reduced the funding to $1.2 billion. It is nothing less than treason!

If we enforced the laws already on the books this problem would mostly sort itself out. But the people in washington blatantly disregard the laws and the will of a majority of the people. Close to 80% of Americans want this illegal immigration stopped, NOW!

Illegal aliens are shooting themselves in their collective foot. This problem has become too large to ignore anymore, more and more Americans are waking up every day. Hopefully this will lead to voting the bums out of congress so we can take our country back.

The way to fix this is by making your voice heard, it takes millions of voices to make congress take notice.

Here's a handy list I use, I don't know if it's the latest or best but it works well for me.

List of U.S. congress and governors;

Complete E-Mail Addresses for Congress, Senate, Governors & State Legislators

Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM

1,863 posts, read 2,173,958 times
Quote:
Before this thread becomes another whine session about illegal immigrants, let’s try to make this more constructive and follow a few reasonable assumptions to move towards reasonable solutions:

1) Illegal immigrants are not legally eligible for Medicare/SSI.
2) An unknown number of illegal immigrants are using fraudulent forms of identification.
3) An unknown number of illegal immigrants are illegally receiving Medicare/SSI benefits.
4) An unknown number of illegal immigrants, legal immigrants, and US citizens are illegally receiving medicare and SSI benefits.

Now that we have that, what enforcement solutions are there to prevent people from illegally obtaining SSI and/or Medicare? Of course my solution is more money towards enforcement, but then where do we take that money from to go towards enforcement?

Government is so compartmentalized that you just cant take it from A to give to B, as politicians in charge of A don’t want their money moved away from A. So B has to get it from somewhere as they don’t want to move money around from within B. So what do you do?
I don't think we can find out if they illegals ARE eligible unless we call the number. Why would that statement even be in there? Isn't it obvious that they would NOT be eligible? That's what doesn't make sense to me.

You mean, they call and SS tells them, "no,you are not eligible, thanks for calling". "If you are not a citizen or legal immigrant, call us so we can tell you you're not eligible?"

Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I don't think we can find out if they illegals ARE eligible unless we call the number. Why would that statement even be in there? Isn't it obvious that they would NOT be eligible? That's what doesn't make sense to me.
No, illegals are not eligible. Plain and simple. However there are certain classes of legal immigrants and “qualified aliens” who are exempt from the five-year residency requirement. Those people are the ones to call in and see if they qualify. Legal refugees are one.
If you are not a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. continuously for a five-year period, please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for your Medicare enrollment and eligibility."

Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM

11,879 posts, read 25,460,716 times
I want to say that I appreciate the tone of the discussion here. I am going to rep each and every one of you for a civilized debate. Thank you!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 4,153,091 times
Quote:
No, illegals are not eligible. Plain and simple. However there are certain classes of legal immigrants and “qualified aliens” who are exempt from the five-year residency requirement. Those people are the ones to call in and see if they qualify. Legal refugees are one.
If you are not a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. continuously for a five-year period, please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for your Medicare enrollment and eligibility."
Medicare funds cover a portion of the bills that illegals fail to pay each year. This benefits illegals because the cash strapped hospitals would perhaps have to close were it not for this infusion of taxpayer dollars. If this were to happen, the illegals would have to drive further to find another ER.

Quote:
U.S. to help cover health costs of illegals
Providers in state to divvy up $71 million for emergency care

Beginning today, California hospitals and health care providers can charge the federal government for emergency care they provide to illegal immigrants.
The Bush administration announced final rules Monday for seeking reimbursements funded by a 2003 Medicare law that set aside $1 billion over four years.
California providers are to get $71 million of the $250 million that will be disbursed by Sept. 30 -- more than providers in any other state.
That's only a fraction of the estimated $500 million California hospitals spend each year caring for illegal immigrants.

Those in border states have complained that providing that care without reimbursement is financially untenable. In response, lawmakers earmarked the $1 billion.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who pushed for the funding, said Monday that the money will "help to keep the doors of California's safety net hospitals open."
"This funding comes at a crucial time, when nine California hospitals have closed in the past year, due in part to a spike in costs associated with care for undocumented aliens,"
said Feinstein...
U.S. to help cover health costs of illegals / Providers in state to divvy up $71 million for emergency care

Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Medicare funds cover a portion of the bills that illegals fail to pay each year. This benefits illegals because the cash strapped hospitals would perhaps have to close were it not for this infusion of taxpayer dollars. If this were to happen, the illegals would have to drive further to find another ER.
The hospital is the beneficiary of the Medicare payment, not the illegal immigrant. That’s the distinction. The illegal immigrant is not legally eligible to receive Medicare money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration