U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:55 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,006,882 times

Advertisements

ERs are not staying open because of Medicare payments. Hospitals are being squeezed because of Medicare payments. Medicare payments are far too low and the government has failed to keep pace with the dramatic increase in costs associated with both routine hospital care and emergency room care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,713,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
The bottom line is that the hospital ER still remains open for people who need it due to Medicare payments.

This is usually the jump the shark moment in the immigration threads, when the “they shouldn’t be here in the country in the first place” comments come out it usually means the discussion of the actual issue has ended. I think I’ve made my point: Illegal immigrants are not allowed to legally enroll in Medicare. Nothing has so far proven that point false.
...Got it.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,713,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
ERs are not staying open because of Medicare payments. Hospitals are being squeezed because of Medicare payments. Medicare payments are far too low and the government has failed to keep pace with the dramatic increase in costs associated with both routine hospital care and emergency room care.
Yes, Medicare payments are below the actual cost, but they are an improvement over the $0 that a hospital would otherwise receive when they provide care to illegal aliens. The Medicare dollars along with state and local money often allow a hospital to keep it's doors open.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,006,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post

The Medicare dollars along with state and local money often allow a hospital to keep it's doors open.
Of course, but then again any money a hospital receives from any source at all, including Medicare, helps keep a hospitals door open.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,184,622 times
This drives me nuts. We have elderly people who are having to choose between food and medicine and we are giving these XXXXXXX.
This has to stop NOW.

Shut down the access to ALL hospitals, doctors, pills etc unless they can PROVE they are legal, otherwise, sorry, no entry !

And people say they are helping our economy...give me a break.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 PM

1,252 posts, read 726,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
This drives me nuts. We have elderly people who are having to choose between food and medicine and we are giving these XXXXXXX.
This has to stop NOW.

Shut down the access to ALL hospitals, doctors, pills etc unless they can PROVE they are legal, otherwise, sorry, no entry !

And people say they are helping our economy...give me a break.
There's nothing to disagree with as far as the sentiment goes.

What I'd like to see is some of the same indignation directed towards where the larger share of injustice is found.

Those who are choosing between food and medicine need our help, but just blaming immigrants isn't going to change the fundamental problems with the abuse of Medicare and Medicaid.

Far larger abuses are being carried out by the HMOs, the insurance companies, the medical establishment themselves, the pharmaceutical corporations and the politicians who are supported by this bunch of cronies.

If we were to quantify all the abuse, the far larger share of the problem would come from another quarter, yet I hear little of any similar indignation about the largest share of the fraud.

Seems to me, the perspective is skewed and the fraud is but another scapegoat which serves to detract from other larger issues.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:
The topic of the discussion is “Social Security/Medicare for Illegals”. The reality is that illegals are not legally eligible for Social Security or Medicare. They will not legally receive any medicare money. They can only obtain it illegally which is practiced by citizens and non-citizens alike.

In the case of the hospital getting medicare payments, the illegal may benefit by not having to pay, but the illegal did not get any money, the hospital did.
But not having to pay for something you get is still getting something.

An American will have to pay insurance premiums, deductibles, co-payments, taxes and so on to get health care -- an illegal gets off Scot-free.

That's sort of like saying a grocery store is who benefits by having shoppers using food stamps -- the store does benefit -- but the shoppers can load up their carts at no cost to themselves.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I'm curious about fraud in Medicare enrollment. If we have people here unlawfully using other people's social security numbers for the purpose of employment, what's to stop them from using the same fraudulent means to enroll in Medicare?
They use the Medicare or Medicaid cards and numbers of others.

A physician's office here happened to catch multiple use of a Medicaid card because an observant clerk happened to notice that the same number was being used for two different office visits on the same day -- different children.

It turned out the card itself was being "shared" and they made the mistake of using the same card at the same doctor's office the same day. Otherwise who will ever know the difference?

Also "Emergency Medicaid" is meant for illegals -- that way they can get whatever emergency care they like -- the hospital will be paid.

Not having any health care costs is certainly a nice benefit for illegals. Otherwise they might have to dip into that $300-$400 average monthly remittance money.

Nothing stops an illegal from using cash to make a doctor's appointment -- they don't choose to do that because it's free at the Emergency Room.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 AM

185 posts, read 319,627 times
Quote:
The bottom line is that the hospital ER still remains open for people who need it due to Medicare payments.

This is usually the jump the shark moment in the immigration threads, when the “they shouldn’t be here in the country in the first place” comments come out it usually means the discussion of the actual issue has ended. I think I’ve made my point: Illegal immigrants are not allowed to legally enroll in Medicare. Nothing has so far proven that point false.
10's of millions of illegal aliens have bankrupted ER's across the country. Maybe I'm crazy but I cannot justify this behavior.

It's all a part of their mindset, "you have more than me, I am entitiled to everything you have."

The difference is I've worked non-stop for 35 years and have contributed to the country in numerous ways. Illegals came here yesterday and have contributed nothing. Unless you want to count disease and crime.

Two Mexican nationals stole all the tools it took me 25 years to collect. I guess that's OK, they didn't take any money from me directly.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM

902 posts, read 506,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
10's of millions of illegal aliens have bankrupted ER's across the country. Maybe I'm crazy but I cannot justify this behavior.

It's all a part of their mindset, "you have more than me, I am entitiled to everything you have."

The difference is I've worked non-stop for 35 years and have contributed to the country in numerous ways. Illegals came here yesterday and have contributed nothing. Unless you want to count disease and crime.

Two Mexican nationals stole all the tools it took me 25 years to collect. I guess that's OK, they didn't take any money from me directly.
And yet, we have many people telling us what an asset they are to our country and how they are just here to work and etc, which of course is nothing but bunk these days. They are here to take what they can get, and this includes the ones that work, because they are still stealing and using fake and/or forged documents and still expect to be treated special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or