U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
185 posts, read 240,152 times
Reputation: 148

Advertisements

How on Earth is this possible?

"If you are not a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. continuously for a five-year period, please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for your Medicare enrollment and eligibility."

Link below;

Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (Eligibility Questions)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,181 posts, read 10,289,255 times
Reputation: 2984
I'm speechless!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
 
1,863 posts, read 2,176,652 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I'm speechless!!!
I'm not surprised.

But, what is "lawfully admitted alien" mean? If you admit it, you're supposed to be deported. What a bunch of garbage our government is forcing on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Small patch of terra firma
1,275 posts, read 1,564,296 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
How on Earth is this possible?

"If you are not a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. continuously for a five-year period, please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for your Medicare enrollment and eligibility."

Link below;

Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (Eligibility Questions)
Research it more and you’ll see the requirements. Per the last updated Overview of Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs, under Medicare it states:

Eligible only if:
• Lawfully present, and eligibility for assistance is based on authorized employment

http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...gms_032505.pdf

Remember the Medicare link states “and eligibility”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 24,540,520 times
Reputation: 4812
LAWFULLY - as in LEGAL - as in YOU GOT PERMISSION

Totally opposite of ILLEGAL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
 
2,429 posts, read 4,608,253 times
Reputation: 973
I'm curious about fraud in Medicare enrollment. If we have people here unlawfully using other people's social security numbers for the purpose of employment, what's to stop them from using the same fraudulent means to enroll in Medicare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Small patch of terra firma
1,275 posts, read 1,564,296 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I'm curious about fraud in Medicare enrollment. If we have people here unlawfully using other people's social security numbers for the purpose of employment, what's to stop them from using the same fraudulent means to enroll in Medicare?
Absolutely nothing. Medicare fraud is happening by legal immigrants, US Citizens, and illegal immigrants. But illegal immigrants are not legally eligible for Medicare. However money for fraud enforcement is low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Little Pond Farm
543 posts, read 802,568 times
Reputation: 459
In NJ there is a five year wait if they entered the country after a certain date.

Medicare, Social Security isn't the only thing illegals are getting, SSI as well..........

Why do you think ADHD/ADDhas become such a popular condition (sorry to those that deal with REAL cases of ACHD/ADD. ) Get your unruly kid diagnosed and collect 500.00 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,758 posts, read 13,830,149 times
Reputation: 13802
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Absolutely nothing. Medicare fraud is happening by legal immigrants, US Citizens, and illegal immigrants. But illegal immigrants are not legally eligible for Medicare. However money for fraud enforcement is low.
They may not be legally eligible for Medicare, but then again, they aren't here in this country legally to begin with, and they are most definitely collecting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
185 posts, read 240,152 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Research it more and you’ll see the requirements. Per the last updated Overview of Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs, under Medicare it states:

Eligible only if:
• Lawfully present, and eligibility for assistance is based on authorized employment

http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdate...gms_032505.pdf

Remember the Medicare link states “and eligibility”.

Illegal aliens have hundreds of groups that help them procure phoney ID, not to mention stolen ID.

We need to get e-verify up and runnning and I would hope that government agencies as well as employers will use it. It's not the total solution but it will be a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top