U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 AM
 
195 posts, read 173,876 times
Reputation: 387

Advertisements

Thousands of "migrants" are being picked up at sea by the European version of the Navy and Coast Guard. Now they have got what they wanted, they have now made it to Europe. What happens now? Are they just let loose to find housing and jobs? Or are they put in some type of immigration prison? Does anyone check and see if they could be Islamic radials or even members of ISIS?

When I was in Paris and Rome, the cities were flooded by North Africans begging and living in the streets and doing con jobs near tourist attractions. Letting those that make it by boat in the latest flood into the streets of major European cities is not going to be pretty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM
 
622 posts, read 397,937 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Thousands of "migrants" are being picked up at sea by the European version of the Navy and Coast Guard. Now they have got what they wanted, they have now made it to Europe. What happens now? Are they just let loose to find housing and jobs? Or are they put in some type of immigration prison? Does anyone check and see if they could be Islamic radials or even members of ISIS?

When I was in Paris and Rome, the cities were flooded by North Africans begging and living in the streets and doing con jobs near tourist attractions. Letting those that make it by boat in the latest flood into the streets of major European cities is not going to be pretty!
I think you mean asylum seekers rather than migrants. A migrant in that respect can be a member of an EU state who proposes to migrate to another country in order to take up work there. This is perfectly legal under the free movement of labour laws which apply to the EU.

An asylum seeker on the other hand can be somebody who feels that their life is in danger where they lived prior to trying to reach Europe. These people will probably qualify for safe haven.

They can also be so called economic refugees who don't qualify on the above grounds and are simply looking for a better life in Western Countries. This latter group will be repatriated to their own countries once they've been unable to prove that their own country doesn't constitute a dangerous place to live.

Once an asylum seeker has arrived in the nearest country either through being rescued at sea, or have somehow managed to reach landfall themselves, they will be transferred to a secure centre to be processed. They will also be given a health check to ensure that they aren't a danger to other refugees in the same centre and then given bed and board while their claim for asylum is processed. This can take up to four months.

If their claim is successful, they are entitled to the same rights as a person already living legally in that country.

Failed asylum seekers are usually evicted from the secure centres they were housed in and left to fend for themselves. However, as far as the EU is concerned, they are entitled to bed and board until they agree to be repatriated. DGs - Migration and Home Affairs - What we do - ...Asylum - Temporary protection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 AM
 
31,710 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
I think you mean asylum seekers rather than migrants. A migrant in that respect can be a member of an EU state who proposes to migrate to another country in order to take up work there. This is perfectly legal under the free movement of labour laws which apply to the EU.

An asylum seeker on the other hand can be somebody who feels that their life is in danger where they lived prior to trying to reach Europe. These people will probably qualify for safe haven.

They can also be so called economic refugees who don't qualify on the above grounds and are simply looking for a better life in Western Countries. This latter group will be repatriated to their own countries once they've been unable to prove that their own country doesn't constitute a dangerous place to live.

Once an asylum seeker has arrived in the nearest country either through being rescued at sea, or have somehow managed to reach landfall themselves, they will be transferred to a secure centre to be processed. They will also be given a health check to ensure that they aren't a danger to other refugees in the same centre and then given bed and board while their claim for asylum is processed. This can take up to four months.

If their claim is successful, they are entitled to the same rights as a person already living legally in that country.

Failed asylum seekers are usually evicted from the secure centres they were housed in and left to fend for themselves. However, as far as the EU is concerned, they are entitled to bed and board until they agree to be repatriated. DGs - Migration and Home Affairs - What we do - ...Asylu - Temporary protection
Economic refugees? I am glad we have no such policy here as all the illegal aliens that come here would get a pass for just claiming they are here for a better life. If you think we have an illegal alien problem now just think of what it would mean for all of them to be able to claim economic refugee status. Can we say billions? Bye, bye, America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 10:12 AM
 
622 posts, read 397,937 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Economic refugees? I am glad we have no such policy here as all the illegal aliens that come here would get a pass for just claiming they are here for a better life. If you think we have an illegal alien problem now just think of what it would mean for all of them to be able to claim economic refugee status. Can we say billions? Bye, bye, America.
The OP's post is about immigration into Europe, not the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 01:37 PM
 
31,710 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
The OP's post is about immigration into Europe, not the US.
So, all I said is that if we had the same policies of allowing anyone in here who claims economic hardship it would be a disaster. I think comparisons are ok in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 PM
 
195 posts, read 173,876 times
Reputation: 387
I am talking about the 1000s of people trying to cross the sea into Europe who are being picked up and sent to processing centers in Europe. I am sure they are all saying they had to leave their homes or they will be killed. So what happens to them now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 AM
 
622 posts, read 397,937 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I am talking about the 1000s of people trying to cross the sea into Europe who are being picked up and sent to processing centers in Europe. I am sure they are all saying they had to leave their homes or they will be killed. So what happens to them now?
They can say what they like, but the immigration authorities can easily check what the situation is on the ground. Many failed asylum seekers come from Eritrea which is a one party state and where military duty is mandatory. Those who try to escape are imprisoned.

But the country isn't considered to be a place where its inhabitants will be at risk of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 02:13 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
8,861 posts, read 8,988,503 times
Reputation: 9102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Thousands of "migrants" are being picked up at sea by the European version of the Navy and Coast Guard.
FYI: Europe is not a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 PM
 
Location: In a state of mind
5,998 posts, read 6,376,225 times
Reputation: 11253
They are taken to meet the Pope, then given staff jobs in the Obama administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 01:23 PM
 
1,859 posts, read 1,961,805 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
The OP's post is about immigration into Europe, not the US.
The point is, people shouldn't be allowed to immigrate based on economic status, or really for any reason for that matter. These people are not entitled. It is not Italy's fault Africa is in chaos, nor is it their problem to take care of these people, which will likely be a continuous drain on the Italian economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top