Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,720,174 times

Advertisements

I thought the reason opposed illegals is because they are here **illegally***. If they were given steps to take to make their status legal, why is this a bad thing? Sounds like half of the people here are simply against immigrants rather than illegals. Being a legal alien means you pay taxes like everyone else as opposed to being illegal and skipping the whole "give back to the community" part. I don't see why making people legal is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,335,393 times
deporting is NOT that hard..

getting the border closed.. secure it from future illegals acrossings..

and in time, those who get caught here can be deported "without" the option of sneaking over again.. IF our border has a secure structure to begin with...

Also as time goes by.. deporting illegals will also REDUCE spending on them by way of welfare, education and so-on...

It's NOT that hard to get this done.. money and big business opposing closed borders in the biggest reasons... but it could still be done...
They are already starting to get more of the double-fences built..

Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,335,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I thought the reason opposed illegals is because they are here **illegally***. If they were given steps to take to make their status legal, why is this a bad thing? Sounds like half of the people here are simply against immigrants rather than illegals. Being a legal alien means you pay taxes like everyone else as opposed to being illegal and skipping the whole "give back to the community" part. I don't see why making people legal is a bad thing.

you dont' put the cart, before the horse!

sneaking over here first "illegally" is not the proper and LEGAL way of immigration... Giving someone the option to be a legal U.S. citizen is great... but shouldn't be an option, after illegally sneaking over here in the first place... Going thru the proper LEGAL channels PRIOR to illegally sneaking over is and should be thier ONLY option...

putting the cart.. before the horse is not the way to go.. and if you get caught illegally being here.. you should NEVER be given the right to U.S. citizenship.. EVER! Do it by way of leagl channels... and they are more than welcome... any other way.. get lost.. don't come back!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,045,289 times
Quote:
Simple answer here:

Granting amnesty to illegal immigrants is rewarding criminal behavior-------and, is a slap in the face of those people who 'played by the rules' immigrating to the USA.

Think of someone cutting in front of you in a grocery store checkout line.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:11 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,227,747 times
The Asylum and Immigration Act in the UK requires that each corporation check that each of their employees has the right to reside and work in the UK It is a criminal offence to employ someone who does not have the appropriate immigration permissions. Criminal proceedings can be taken against both the employer and any officer of that employer who is proved to have allowed someone to work illegally.

Are there similar laws in the US?? I worked in Wisconsin for a while and didn't really take any notice as the workforce was all American born. If coporations were fined for the hiring of illegal immigrants, then this might stop them hiring them in the first place???

Giving a path to legalization is a way of ensuring that more taxes are paid, and that workers are documented etc but if the system worked properly in the first place.. and enforced, then companies would be forced to search for the right candidate, ensure proper training and pay, and then hire a foreign worker if they are right for the job, going through the approriate channels.

I personally went through a TON of paperwork to work in the US, and very much benefited from the experience. I also appreciated and didn't mind the thorough checks on me as I felt that this was right. My American wife has been subjected to the same interogation here!! BUT if we broke the rules we would be subjected to criminal proceedings... the frustration is that the rules are not consistent, or enforced properly when needed.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Simple answer here:

Granting amnesty to illegal immigrants is rewarding criminal behavior-------and, is a slap in the face of those people who 'played by the rules' immigrating to the USA.

Think of someone cutting in front of you in a grocery store checkout line.
I don't think the "path to legalization" is necessarily granting asylum but rather giving them the chance to do things "legally". To set things straight and actually become a decent, tax-paying citizen so to speak. I think the process should be strict and structured and definitely not a guarantee to legalized status.

Oh and Arizona, my parents and I emigrated here legally (one on work visa and the other on student visa) and I don't really feel like its a slap to the face at all. An exception doesn't make the rule, I understand, but I really think those who vehemently oppose a method of finally teaching illegals how to do things the "right" way are simply anti-immigrants.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,045,289 times
Quote:
I don't think the "path to legalization" is necessarily granting asylum but rather giving them the chance to do things "legally". To set things straight and actually become a decent, tax-paying citizen so to speak. I think the process should be strict and structured and definitely not a guarantee to legalized status.

Oh and Arizona, my parents and I emigrated here legally (one on work visa and the other on student visa) and I don't really feel like its a slap to the face at all. An exception doesn't make the rule, I understand, but I really think those who vehemently oppose a method of finally teaching illegals how to do things the "right" way are simply anti-immigrants.
Two years ago; prior to those illegal immigrants 'rights' marches when those fools flew the Mexican flag demanding their non existent rights, attitudes towards the above were more laid back.

Not now; the damage has been done in the eyes of most Americans.

BTW: my father is an immigrant as well (legal of course).

Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times
There is already a path to legal immigration -- and the USA has far more legal immigrants than any other nation. Many of the illegals and their employers could not care less about legal immigration because it involves filling out forms, paying fees, waiting with all the others. The employers don't want to have to sponsor their immigrant because that involves taking a little financial responsibility for that immigrant.

What the employers want is to bring in truckloads of dirt-cheap labor and ignore labor laws and cut their labor costs so that they can reap big profits. The CEO's don't want to give up $8 million annual bonuses.

Mexico wishes to dump it's entire underclass into the USA so that it can protect it's extremely wealthy and privileged oligarch class. And Mexico doesn't want to lose any money being raked in by it's remittance sender and drug cartels.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times
Quote:
They have steps to come here legally -- they just don't wish to follow them and think they should be rewarded for having broken the laws. Why should an illegal be moved to the front of the line -- ahead of those who patiently followed the laws?

And there are signs of a serious recession coming -- all this cheap labor and job loss to Americans has not really benefitted this country. We cannot keep on having taxpayers pay for the free health care and education for Mexico and keep that corrupt government in power with billions of dollars sent to it every month.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Two years ago; prior to those illegal immigrants 'rights' marches when those fools flew the Mexican flag demanding their non existent rights, attitudes towards the above were more laid back.

Not now; the damage has been done in the eyes of most Americans.

BTW: my father is an immigrant as well (legal of course).
The Mexican flag flying is a total red herring to this conversation. I don't see the relevance. It's like saying "Well, ILLEGALS CAN RAPE YOUR CHILDREN!!!"...yeah well so can legals. As matter of fact, there's a house about 2 blocks down from me flying the Ethiopian flag. Yes, he's legal, even owns a business but is the most unpleasant of personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration