U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:03 AM

10,026 posts, read 8,899,712 times

Advertisements

Yeah considering the Chicago area is very pro illegal. Many people are attending there already.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:57 PM

3,034 posts, read 2,888,352 times
I can only dream of E-verify being used here where I live (Orange County, Ca.)
I've worked in restaurants most of my adult life and the last place I worked I had Spanish all around me everywhere. If it weren't for the great regular customers, I would have been lonely.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:00 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,176,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
BOS, I didn't know AZ. used E-verify. What did the illegals there do, move? I wonder if any other states use it. I would patronize that restaurant also. I think I would even thank the owner for the patriotism they are showing.

-----------------------
Jess5 --- When AZ enacted state-wide mandatory E-verify usage, lots of illegals did leave the state. People who live in AZ (especially in the Phoenix and Tucson areas) reported that when the illegals left, some elementary schools closed. Also, some neighborhoods almost became ghost towns. Landlords who were renting to illegals lost their tenants and couldn't find new ones. Some were so desperate to have their properties occupied, that they looked for people to live in them rent-free. The trouble is that those neighborhoods were still bad ones even when the illegals left so very few people wanted to live there.
This touches on what came to my mind yesterday and that is slum lords. Here, rents are very high for anything remotely decent because the slum lords charge so much for the dumps they rent out and guess who their captive renters are? For instance, a house that would sell for $60,000 would rent for nearly $800.00 per month. Many of the places need to be torn down with rents in the $500 to $600.00 range, they rent them until they get ready to fall down and then try to sell them at that point far beyond the point that the code dept should have become involved. Codes doesn't seem to touch them. Our town is deteriorating because of this so I figure the slum lords have made enough so I wouldn't shed a tear if KS started to e-verify all jobs and they left town. We will graduate kids next month and there will be no jobs here for them so they will have to either commute 60 to 90 minutes (very rough in the winter since they don't plow or do anything with the ice) or move away and then, they'll cry that we really need these illegals because of our decreasing population. I do think our schools would be fine and we surely can't afford to build schools as they have more "anchor" babies.

Seems like it would be better to start e-verify for all jobs sooner than later.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 AM

31,980 posts, read 14,763,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I can only dream of E-verify being used here where I live (Orange County, Ca.)
I've worked in restaurants most of my adult life and the last place I worked I had Spanish all around me everywhere. If it weren't for the great regular customers, I would have been lonely.
Same thing out here in the Inland Empire of So. Calif.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or