Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 03:29 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times

Advertisements

Let me just observe the political aspects of this.

Let's assume it passes the House. There will be a lot of controversy for sure. Republicans simply do not have the votes to overcome the guaranteed Democratic filibuster. But let's say there is a miracle and the Senate passes the law. Obama will absolutely veto, and there is simply not enough vote to override the veto. If Obama loses his mind and sign the bill by mistake, there will be a SCOTUS case, which will rest on the "jurisdiction thereof" language in the 14th Amendment, and therefore the opponents of the law will have yet another bite at the apple.

We all know, procedurally speaking, there is no way that a Constitutional amendment of this ilk can ever be made.

So, what's the point? Pandering to the extreme right is fine, but you already had them at hello. They wouldn't vote Democratic no matter what any way.

Meantime, you would absolutely lose the Latino votes (and Asian votes), with some exceptions, for good. Doing something like this says they are not welcome in this country, even if they are citizens. Like Maya Angelou said, "I won't remember what you did, but I will remember how you made me feel." What happened to the Big Tent? With minority population exploding and white population stagnant, you may never see the White House in your lifetime.

Please give it a shot. It would be fun to watch with popcorns.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:30 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Exclamation Demcrates Promoting Racsism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I repeat again neither Rubio or Cruz were anchor babies but I wouldn't vote for either of them regardless.
Where do these guys get this stuff? Left Wingers will throw anything against the wall to make it stick. Actually Democrats / Liberals can be accused of Racism because many Left Wingers assume Rubio was Illegal and Cruz was a Anchor Baby with not even checking. Or worse yet making up claims as they go to discredit Conservative Candidates the pose a real threat to the DNC.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:01 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
I repeat again neither Rubio or Cruz were anchor babies but I wouldn't vote for either of them regardless.
In reality you are correct:
Cruz got his automatically because at least one of his parents was a US Citizen, just like the President, except that the President was born in the USA.
Rubio because hos parents were Cubans, and after all they are a protected bunch of Hispanics, they get special treatment since all they have to do is set foot on US soil and bang they are fast tracked to Citizenship. That means hos parents did not need his birth to fast track their way to Citizenship, they had special status. Now if his parents had been from Mexico or from any Central or South American country we would label him as exactly that.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:32 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

So, what's the point? Pandering to the extreme right is fine, but you already had them at hello. They wouldn't vote Democratic no matter what any way.

Meantime, you would absolutely lose the Latino votes (and Asian votes), with some exceptions, for good. Doing something like this says they are not welcome in this country, even if they are citizens. Like Maya Angelou said, "I won't remember what you did, but I will remember how you made me feel." What happened to the Big Tent? With minority population exploding and white population stagnant, you may never see the White House in your lifetime.

Mick
Poppycock! (And I'm being nice here by using that term!)

I'm half Latina and anyone who votes to end the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco, be they democrat or republican, will have my vote. Everyone in my family is an American citizen and trust me on this, none of us will be made to feel unwelcome in this country

And again, no politician on either side of the aisle should be pandering to lawbreakers and those who aid and abet them.

This may surprise you but there are dems who dislike the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco and want it to end.

You are apparently unaware that the Hispanic voting bloc amounts to 10% of the population---and not all of them vote democrat. Plus, with any group, you have those who don't vote at all. In other words, the Hispanic vote doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic. If you're serious; that'd probably cut off almost all American "Indians" too since most of them have some after "1492" blood in their families.
Read what I said again... you have to have _one_ naturalized ancestor, not _all_ naturalized ancestors. This should not affect that many people, but everyone must have _proof_ for at least one ancestor.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:38 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
WTH are you talking about? If a naturalized citizen gives birth on our soil there is nothing in the Constitution that denies their offspring birthright citizenship.
Of course not. I am saying that _only_ naturalized citizens and their offspring should be citizens though. If no one in your family ever naturalized, if everyone gained citizenship solely by being born on American soil, then you lose your citizenship and become a permanent legal resident.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Let me just observe the political aspects of this.

Let's assume it passes the House. There will be a lot of controversy for sure. Republicans simply do not have the votes to overcome the guaranteed Democratic filibuster. But let's say there is a miracle and the Senate passes the law. Obama will absolutely veto, and there is simply not enough vote to override the veto. If Obama loses his mind and sign the bill by mistake, there will be a SCOTUS case, which will rest on the "jurisdiction thereof" language in the 14th Amendment, and therefore the opponents of the law will have yet another bite at the apple.

We all know, procedurally speaking, there is no way that a Constitutional amendment of this ilk can ever be made.

Please give it a shot. It would be fun to watch with popcorns.

Mick
Wait a minute here. Why would Hispanic and/or Asian citizens be opposed to changing birthright citizenship? How would it not be welcoming to them? They're already here and their babies are automatic citizens at birth by virtue of them being citizens themselves. As for legal immigrants of either of those ethnicities it isn't about them. It's about parents who are here illegally giving birth on our soil. It's not an extreme right issue nor is it a white issue. It's an American issue. I see, so unless we agree to give our citizenship away like candy to the spawn of lawbreakers "we" (whoever that is) will never see the White House again? WTH? Doing what is right for our own citizens is wrong these days?

Old 05-17-2015, 04:43 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Of course not. I am saying that _only_ naturalized citizens and their offspring should be citizens though. If no one in your family ever naturalized, if everyone gained citizenship solely by being born on American soil, then you lose your citizenship and become a permanent legal resident.
Again, ridiculous!

My paternal grandparents were granted citizenship courtesy of the Jones Act. Why would any of their descendants be denied American citizenship?

So, people whose ancestors came on the Mayflower before there was a US would be subject to your ridiculous idea? How about Native American Indians whose ancestors came here from Asia when there was no US?

Where do you think the money would come from to implement this absurd idea of yours? And how would you make anyone comply?

Give it a rest, please.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I hope this passes. Birthright citizenship is an unmitigated disaster.
Actually it's not! My parents came here legally and I was born in the US? What citizenship should I hold in your opinion?
Am I a American citizen or not?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:50 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Actually it's not! My parents came here legally and I was born in the US? What citizenship should I hold in your opinion?
Am I a American citizen or not?
We are against birthright citizenship for babies born from illegal alien parents not those here legally. I think that was quite apparent from the remarks being made in here and that this is the illegal immigration forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration