U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,079,663 times

Advertisements

I also live in Southern Californian and my experience has been different.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:47 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Please explain how speaking Spanish is rude. If they aren't speaking to you, it is none of your business what language someone is using.
I already explained it. Sorry if you don't get it. As other posters have said it's like living in a foreign country with so many of them refusing to speak English even when they know how to. It's particularly annoying when they feel the need to speak Spanish so loudly.

"When in Rome do as the Romans do". Part of the problem is that we have so many Spanish speaking illegal aliens here. So, yes it is all of our business. Don't want to assimilate to our language then move to a country where your native language is prevalent. I don't care what language they choose to speak at home.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
I also live in Southern Californian and my experience has been different.
Oh really? Where do you live....Beverly Hills?

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-04-2015 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
They expect that all around them will speak their language while not in their country. They expect to be catered to, ie drivers licenses and government forms in their native language while making no attempt to conform to their current surroundings.

Rude.
This. It is offensive that one has to be bilingual to find a job in things like social services. I think we all get knowing another language when it comes to things like tourists but why should a caseworker at public aid have to speak Spanish? Simple, because most on welfare in Illinois are illegals and most illegals use welfare. Illinois along with other states encourage it. It's bad enough they are mooching off taxpayers but then expect catering to? I do speak Spanish but why should I have to?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:32 PM

698 posts, read 431,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I already explained it. Sorry if you don't get it. As other posters have said it's like living in a foreign country with so many of them refusing to speak English even when they know how to. It's particularly annoying when they feel the need to speak Spanish so loudly.

"When in Rome do as the Romans do". Part of the problem is that we have so many Spanish speaking illegal aliens here. So, yes it is all of our business. Don't want to assimilate to our language then move to a country where your native language is prevalent. I don't care what language they choose to speak at home.
You are talking about people that aren't speaking to you, why can't you just mind your own business?

If the mere sound of Spanish is so offensive to you, it really has little to do with immigration and is more about your own prejudices.

I find it weird that someone pays that much attention to other people anyway. Why can't you just ignore them the same way they are ignoring you?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:43 PM

11,484 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Quote:
You are talking about people that aren't speaking to you, why can't you just mind your own business?

If the mere sound of Spanish is so offensive to you, it really has little to do with immigration and is more about your own prejudices.

I find it weird that someone pays that much attention to other people anyway. Why can't you just ignore them the same way they are ignoring you?

Oh, please!

If 2 people are standing aside and having a private conversation in Spanish, that's one thing. For example, workers on a work break standing outside conversing and everybody participating in the conversation speaks Spanish.

Here is when it gets rude---we were eating at a chain restaurant that has an open kitchen. All the back of the house employees were Hispanic. When they had conversations in Spanish, the whole dining room can here them. The 3 guys in the kitchen were talking and saying **** while they were looking at the cashier who was non-Spanish speaking. Even worse, at one point, the manager, again non-Spanish speaking was in earshot at one point . Those 3 in the kitchen weren't even fazed by this and continued to talk about the cashier in a denigrating way.

They didn't know that my husband and I knew exactly what the word **** meant in English. You better believe that I let corporate HQ know about this, even telling them the word. They had the restaurant manager call me and he couldn't believe that these guys he trained so well would do such a thing but said that he would discipline them.

^That's when speaking Spanish (or another foreign language) is rude and should never be tolerated.

I guess that you find all of the above to be perfectly acceptable, right?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
I agree that it's rude but I imagine the process goes smoother when these companies use Spanish to talk to their customers. Plus, I don't see how that situation is comparable to what the OP said. It's doubtful that Spanish is everywhere because of illegals when there are more native-born Hispanics and legal Hispanic immigrants that speak Spanish.
Years ago, if an immigrant either didn't know English or wasn't fully fluent, they would have a friend or relative who was fluent make these kinds of phone calls for them. They never would have expected a company to cater to them in their native tongue.

My maternal grandparents came here from Europe. After arriving, they enrolled in night school and stuck with it until they could both read, write and speak English fluently. Before they were fluent, they turned to others in their ethnic community to help them with translations. After my grandparents became fluent, they paid it forward by helping others who were in the same boat (no pun intended) that they once were in.

When did things change to the point where non-English speakers developed such a sense of entitlement?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:55 PM

698 posts, read 431,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Oh, please!

If 2 people are standing aside and having a private conversation in Spanish, that's one thing. For example, workers on a work break standing outside conversing and everybody participating in the conversation speaks Spanish.

Here is when it gets rude---we were eating at a chain restaurant that has an open kitchen. All the back of the house employees were Hispanic. When they had conversations in Spanish, the whole dining room can here them. The 3 guys in the kitchen were talking and saying **** while they were looking at the cashier who was non-Spanish speaking. Even worse, at one point, the manager, again non-Spanish speaking was in earshot at one point . Those 3 in the kitchen weren't even fazed by this and continued to talk about the cashier in a denigrating way.

They didn't know that my husband and I knew exactly what the word **** meant in English. You better believe that I let corporate HQ know about this, even telling them the word. They had the restaurant manager call me and he couldn't believe that these guys he trained so well would do such a thing but said that he would discipline them.

^That's when speaking Spanish (or another foreign language) is rude and should never be tolerated.

I guess that you find all of the above to be perfectly acceptable, right?
Great job at moving the goalposts, LOL.

Your post was censored so it wasn't completely clear. You appear to be making the claim that kitchen staff made rude comments about another employee in Spanish in order to conceal it. I don't see that as being any different than when an employee makes rude comments in English while they think nobody is listening. It is the behavior not the language that is an issue.

However, that is not the topic being discussed. Posters have claimed that merely hearing Spanish being spoken by other members of the public is offensive and rude. I want to know how it can be rude for people to use a foreign language in your presence. They are not talking to you or insulting you, just having their own private conversation. If anyone is being rude, it is the people that are eavesdropping on other conversations.

On a normal day, I will hear Spanish and at least a couple other languages being spoken. Are you seriously telling me that every one of those people are being rude to me just by talking amongst themselves?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM

CD didn't "censor" anything. I purposefully put in the asterisks.

I explained to you just how speaking Spanish (or another foreign language) is rude. What, exactly, don't you understand abut that? Those workers were denigrating all women with their use of that word. It wasn't just the cashier who was being denigrated. They figured that by speaking Spanish they could get away with despicable behavior---and they were very wrong.

Anytime someone speaks in a foreign language for the purpose of denigrating a non-speaker, that is rude.

If you paid any attention to my post---you would have noticed that I said a group of people off to the side or on a work break speaking a foreign language---and if everyone in their group understood that language, that's not rude. What don't you get about that?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Just because you don't agree with me even though my points were very valid that is no reason to tell me what to do or how I should think. I has nothing to do with prejudice either. It's about not being respectful on their part. I can't mind my own business when they are speaking it "loudly" and being rude. A lot of it has to do with illegal immigration from south of our border. It's like pouring salt in a wound knowing why in many cases it is this way. There is no need to reply to me anymore. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or