Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times

Advertisements

Last night I had to call my cable company, and I was greeted by the automated voice speaking in Spanish! When the rep got on the line, I told him that I got the Spanish greeting first, then the English speaking greeting. He said," Hmmm, you're in Oklahoma. right?" I said"Yes, and when I went to bed last night we were still in the United States. I haven't heard if that's changed, but you never know with our president." He chuckled and said "Well, the phone shouldn't be answered in Spanish in Oklahoma. Right now that's just supposed to be happening in Southern California." I said "What, you have to be kidding me.! Isn't Southern California still in the United States?" He said "Yes, but we have Spanish speakers on first in heavily Hispanic areas"! I told him that was just wrong, and he said he would tell his supervisor that it's going out first in other areas besides S. CA.

So, I guess as areas get heavy Hispanic populations all over, Cox Cable will accommodate them with Spanish Speaking greetings, but is that fair to the English speaking residents in that area? Is there anyone here who lives in S. CA. that has Cox Cable that speaks English? I should have told him that most of my Hispanic friends wouldn't know what they were saying either, as they don't speak Spanish, except for the words you pick up in Spanish Class.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
It's a private sector decision best left to local discretion. Not a one size fits all.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:47 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Last night I had to call my cable company, and I was greeted by the automated voice speaking in Spanish! When the rep got on the line, I told him that I got the Spanish greeting first, then the English speaking greeting. He said," Hmmm, you're in Oklahoma. right?" I said"Yes, and when I went to bed last night we were still in the United States. I haven't heard if that's changed, but you never know with our president." He chuckled and said "Well, the phone shouldn't be answered in Spanish in Oklahoma. Right now that's just supposed to be happening in Southern California." I said "What, you have to be kidding me.! Isn't Southern California still in the United States?" He said "Yes, but we have Spanish speakers on first in heavily Hispanic areas"! I told him that was just wrong, and he said he would tell his supervisor that it's going out first in other areas besides S. CA.

So, I guess as areas get heavy Hispanic populations all over, Cox Cable will accommodate them with Spanish Speaking greetings, but is that fair to the English speaking residents in that area? Is there anyone here who lives in S. CA. that has Cox Cable that speaks English? I should have told him that most of my Hispanic friends wouldn't know what they were saying either, as they don't speak Spanish, except for the words you pick up in Spanish Class.
Yet people around the world are learning English... my son may be going over to Taiwan to teach it! Go figure!

BTW... I live in So. Cal, but gave up Cox Cable last year (gave up cable in general) so I haven't heard it, but it doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by Podo944; 04-30-2015 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: BTW...

Old 05-01-2015, 06:52 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post

I live in So. Calif. but I have a different cable company than yours. If I call them I get the option of English or Spanish. Here is what I think. Since most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English the only possible reason that Spanish is an option is to accommodate the millions of illegal aliens we have in our state. Disgusting! I guess money talks and nothing else matters.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
If money doesn't talk to a corp, that corp should dissolve.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I live in So. Calif. but I have a different cable company than yours. If I call them I get the option of English or Spanish. Here is what I think. Since most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English the only possible reason that Spanish is an option is to accommodate the millions of illegal aliens we have in our state. Disgusting! I guess money talks and nothing else matters.
So do I have a different cable company. I also have the option of English or Spanish.

And live in O.C.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:27 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
The default advertising mailings for anyone with an Hispanic name, be they Filipino, multigenerational American or fresh over the southern border and speaking an indigenous Native American language as a first language is Spanish. Money talks

Old 05-03-2015, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Kids all over the world are learning English in school because that is the language of business.
Here...we go out of our way not to demand English be learned and used.

Our future...look to the South American countries to see the direction we are headed.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:43 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The default advertising mailings for anyone with an Hispanic name, be they Filipino, multigenerational American or fresh over the southern border and speaking an indigenous Native American language as a first language is Spanish. Money talks
Ye, unfortunately, but most Hispanic-Americans know English so it is illegal aliens they are catering to. We have legal immigrant groups from other countries who may not know English yet either but it is only those whose native language is Spanish that are being catered to.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:24 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Southern CA. English speakers, speak up!

You mean the few that are left? They apparently don't make a large enough demographic to count
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration