U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I, like many, do not think these laws will be struck down. The only laws of a similar nature which courts have ruled unconstitutional thus far are ones relating to the provision of housing and housing services. It IS a violation of federal law to pass a law the prevents the provision of housing services to people. It is, however, a very different matter when it comes to providing employment. It is, in fact, already illegal to employ an individual who is NOT authorized to work in this country. So, in fact, not even the Supreme Court will have a chance to kill these unless they find some way to deem the already existing employment code unconstitutional. Which they may, but that will take a couple of years. These laws will have had the intended effect well before then.
Also, if someone is illegal, they can't get welfare, or social security benefits, or WIC, or schooling, even some medical care. But, of course, they get it, because the feds refuse to follow their own laws!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM

635 posts, read 1,559,968 times
All of the laws in different states might actually be helping a federal government led pathway to Citizenship. If Latinos vote heavily Democrat and heavily change this year's election in some crucial battleground states i.e. Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Florida, there could very well be comprehensive immigration reform. Anti-Illegal Immigration activists should be wary if the Democrats control the house, senate, and presidency. Florida Latinos have already begun to shift from Republican to Democrat. Democrats already firmly control the house, there presidential picks are alot stronger than the Republicans, and many Republican senators are retiring in '08.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,855,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
All of the laws in different states might actually be helping a federal government led pathway to Citizenship. If Latinos vote heavily Democrat and heavily change this year's election in some crucial battleground states i.e. Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Florida, there could very well be comprehensive immigration reform. Anti-Illegal Immigration activists should be wary if the Democrats control the house, senate, and presidency. Florida Latinos have already begun to shift from Republican to Democrat. Democrats already firmly control the house, there presidential picks are alot stronger than the Republicans, and many Republican senators are retiring in '08.
There's 0 correlation between Repub and Democrat in this regard. There are at least as many republicans who are amnesty friendly as there are democrats. I think the Pro-Legal Immigration crowd could benefit just as easily from democrats.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,921,520 times
what the pro-illegals ... do NOT understand.. is the vast difference between legals and illegals. Legal immigration is, and has been on the books for many, many years.. and laws against people who do not go thru the proper LEGAL channels as well. Any one of these illegal-lovers will tell you.. we need to change the immigration laws.. but what they REALLY mean is.. we want to leave our borders open to any one who wishes to come across, we want to give amnesty to any and all ILLEGALS. We want (need) cheap slave labor because we don't want to pay Americans a decent wage. We want the rest of our family to join us here in the U.S. but don't want to have to go thru the LEGAL formalities, amnesty is a lot quicker and easier. We want to get elected, so if the illegals can vote.. that's a lot of votes. We don't care if Americans keep losing jobs and lowering the wage scale because sooner or later, we'll end up getting the same pay anyway. We don't care if it costs Americans billions of dollars each and every year.. heck, I'm not paying for it.. I'm a amnesty-illegal myself. So what if a few million illegals commit violent crimes.. at least the ones we wanted to come got here too. Who cares if she did sneak across the border to have her child born here.. at least her kid is an automatic citizen! and now she won't get deported either.

These are things you will NEVER hear from an illegal-lover.. all you ever hear is we need to fix the immigration PROBLEM.. The fact is the only immigration problem we have is.. ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.. but you won't hear that coming outta any illegal-lovers mouth!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:07 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
INDIANAPOLIS — Companies could face strict penalties — including losing their business licenses — if they knowingly hire illegal aliens under a bill being considered by a Senate committee.

Bill sponsor Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, said Indiana is stuck with the public and social costs of illegal immigration because federal immigration law isn’t being enforced.

“This bill is not about race,” he said. “It’s not about ethnicity. It’s not about nationality. It’s about one thing and one thing only: the respect for the rule of law.”

“If a business, after two warnings, doesn’t get the message that violating the law is not going to be tolerated in the state of Indiana, they should lose their license,” he said. “They should go out of business because they’re not being good corporate citizens.”

Bill supporters said they were tired of illegal immigration going unchecked in their communities.

FINALLY.. HURRAY FOR INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!

ILLEGALS.. GO HOME!!!!!!
This is more good news! Hopefully other states will follow suit and also levy heavy fines on businesses that profiteer off of illegal labor. Businesses need to pay a living wage to a legal worker. If they can't do so they shouldn't be in business.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
what the pro-illegals ... do NOT understand.. is the vast difference between legals and illegals. Legal immigration is, and has been on the books for many, many years.. and laws against people who do not go thru the proper LEGAL channels as well. Any one of these illegal-lovers will tell you.. we need to change the immigration laws.. but what they REALLY mean is.. we want to leave our borders open to any one who wishes to come across, we want to give amnesty to any and all ILLEGALS. We want (need) cheap slave labor because we don't want to pay Americans a decent wage. We want the rest of our family to join us here in the U.S. but don't want to have to go thru the LEGAL formalities, amnesty is a lot quicker and easier. We want to get elected, so if the illegals can vote.. that's a lot of votes. We don't care if Americans keep losing jobs and lowering the wage scale because sooner or later, we'll end up getting the same pay anyway. We don't care if it costs Americans billions of dollars each and every year.. heck, I'm not paying for it.. I'm a amnesty-illegal myself. So what if a few million illegals commit violent crimes.. at least the ones we wanted to come got here too. Who cares if she did sneak across the border to have her child born here.. at least her kid is an automatic citizen! and now she won't get deported either.

These are things you will NEVER hear from an illegal-lover.. all you ever hear is we need to fix the immigration PROBLEM.. The fact is the only immigration problem we have is.. ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.. but you won't hear that coming outta any illegal-lovers mouth!
I don't think anyone here has or is advocating open borders. Just because we disagree with some here on how to deal with the undocumented population doesn't make us "illegal lovers" nor does it make us "amnesty illegals". We also are not idiots as not to understand the difference between someone who is here legally and someone who is not. We believe and know there are several situations that can cause a legal immigrant to become undocumented very easily, all you need is an incompetent lawyer to screw up the paperwork. I want the borders secured, workable employment verification implemented but also an earned path to legalization for those already here.

Using phrases like the words i bolded in your posts will not encourage a civil discussion as the moderator has been advocating for.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM

902 posts, read 505,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Gonna be heaps of voter fraud going on in those states too. Of course there will be the normal voter fraud and election fraid going on around the country but illegals will be voting in mass in the southwest, hence the new rules that Nevada Democratic party passed for that state.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The problem is these laws will be struck down by the courts just like the arizona law is eventually going to be. All sides must sit together and compromise at the federal level ie congress and the president.
I think your barking up the wrong tree by saying a these laws will be struck down
The individual states are meerly adopting the federal laws that PROHIBIT employment of an illegal alien

Let me see, there is a legal term for it.....states rights perhaps.
I guess we will see in the long run...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 PM

440 posts, read 236,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
There's 0 correlation between Repub and Democrat in this regard. There are at least as many republicans who are amnesty friendly as there are democrats. I think the Pro-Legal Immigration crowd could benefit just as easily from democrats.
I have to disagree with this statement. The majority of democats are pro illegal immigration while the majority of republicans are not. All of the democratic presidential candidates are OBL and favor a "path to citizenship" aka amnesty.

As a black woman who marched during the civil rights movement as a kid I am proud of Barack Obama's accomplishments however, it saddens me that because of his pro illegal alien stance, I will not be able to cast a vote for the man who may become the first black president of the United States.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 PM

23,004 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
I have to disagree with this statement. The majority of democats are pro illegal immigration while the majority of republicans are not. All of the democratic presidential candidates are OBL and favor a "path to citizenship" aka amnesty.

As a black woman who marched during the civil rights movement as a kid I am proud of Barack Obama's accomplishments however, it saddens me that because of his pro illegal alien stance, I will not be able to cast a vote for the man who may become the first black president of the United States.
Same here (except i'm a guy), and probably for mama too who was raised in the Jim Crow south and who was 18 when MLK was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration