Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Chertoff says new rules mean longer lines at border, tells critics to 'grow up'

New border crossing rules to take effect at the end of the month will initially mean longer lines for those entering the country, including returning Americans, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Thursday. But he said the rules are necessary to prevent another Sept. 11-style attack.

Critics of the effort need to "grow up," Chertoff said in an Associated Press interview.

Starting Jan. 31, a driver's license and oral declaration of citizenship will no longer be enough to enter the United States for Americans and Canadians age 19 and older. People will have to present proof of citizenship, usually in the form of a passport or a birth certificate. A driver's license is not proof of citizenship.

Chertoff says new rules mean longer lines at border, tells critics to 'grow up' (broken link)

For those who travel, be aware!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 03:19 PM

902 posts, read 717,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

New border crossing rules to take effect at the end of the month will initially mean longer lines for those entering the country, including returning Americans, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Thursday. But he said the rules are necessary to prevent another Sept. 11-style attack.

Critics of the effort need to "grow up," Chertoff said in an Associated Press interview.

Starting Jan. 31, a driver's license and oral declaration of citizenship will no longer be enough to enter the United States for Americans and Canadians age 19 and older. People will have to present proof of citizenship, usually in the form of a passport or a birth certificate. A driver's license is not proof of citizenship.

Chertoff says new rules mean longer lines at border, tells critics to 'grow up' (broken link)

For those who travel, be aware!!
Good!! I have traveled extensively in my life and have always had a passport. I even go to Mexico often with family and have stayed in Mexico for extensive stays and have never had any problem. No big deal at all.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Makes perfect sense to me, Greatday.

Anyone entering The United States (even American Citizens) should provide adequate proper documentation.

As for the CRYBABIES . . . Chertoff is absolutely correct.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Good!! I have traveled extensively in my life and have always had a passport. I even go to Mexico often with family and have stayed in Mexico for extensive stays and have never had any problem. No big deal at all.
It is a "big deal" if you are ILLEGALLY entering this country!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:59 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,441 times
Well that's all well and good but how about the hords of illegals hoofing across all along the border?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Well that's all well and good but how about the hords of illegals hoofing across all along the border?
I was thinking the same thing!

But we ALL know.. they ain't LEGAL LOL!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Time to stop the insanity and protect our borders.

Come on, I went to Canada side of Niagara Falls last spring and they did everything except for a blood test on me. Even had to take out everything in the van, let them go through my bags etc. I have no problem with that at all.
That is the way it is suppose to work.

They need high tech equipment at the border to cross ref fingerprints, backgrounds, medical problems etc.

** Watch... the libs will make this into an issue that we are cold hearted and turning the poor people away. Wait and see!

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2008 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: offensive content

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

** Watch... the libs will make this into an issue that we are cold hearted and turning the poor people away. Wait and see!
Not me. I'm a liberal and I've long been sick and tired of illegals coming here. Long been sick of bilingual education too, where we waste our money teaching kids in a foreign language so that they grow up and can't even speak the language. I'm even sick and tired of PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH. I went to the ATM last night and it was broken and wouldn't take English so I got to go through the entire transaction in Spanish.

I can't begin to understand why our leaders allow all of this when we, the citizen voters are the ones they should be helping --and my liberal family and friends all feel the same way I do.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Not me. I'm a liberal and I've long been sick and tired of illegals coming here. Long been sick of bilingual education too, where we waste our money teaching kids in a foreign language so that they grow up and can't even speak the language. I'm even sick and tired of PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH. I went to the ATM last night and it was broken and wouldn't take English so I got to go through the entire transaction in Spanish.

I can't begin to understand why our leaders allow all of this when we, the citizen voters are the ones they should be helping --and my liberal family and friends all feel the same way I do.
Sorry, no offense to you at all. Hope you see what I am saying, instead of fighting with us and closing the borders tight, deporting them all, I can see the lib party in general using this as a tactic come election time. If we close our borders and use any force I truly believe many, not all libs will go after this.
I am glad to see you think that way, this issue is huge, the media is not saying it is and dont even mention it much, but I have to believe it is No 1 or No. 2 on the list infront or behind Economy.
Accept my apoligies as I meant no harm to you being a liberal, I am just glad to see someone who is a liberal take such a stand.

This is not a party issue, it is OUR issue.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Accept my apoligies as I meant no harm to you being a liberal, I am just glad to see someone who is a liberal take such a stand.

Thank you and there are a LOT of liberals who believe as I do. By and large, the US, no matter which party you are in, people oppose ILLEGAL immigration. LEGAL is fine, rich or poor, no matter what country they are from but do it within the law, that is all we are asking. Most Americans would welcome people who respect our laws and wait in line for the privilege of living here. You can bet that the legal immigrants usually WANT to learn English and to fit into our culture. I don't even think most of those illegals have any stake at all in this country -- they just want the money, then they'll decide whether to go home or to stay here (if allowed.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration