U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Yeah you are probably right. The author of the article is far too unqualified to know what she is talking about. BTW- Here is her bio

V. Nelly Salgado de Snyder (Mexico) obtained her doctorate in Social Welfare from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Currently, she is Director of Community Health and Social Welfare of the Center for Health Systems Research of the Mexican National Institute of Public Health. Previous to this position, Dr. Salgado de Snyder was a senior researcher at the
National Institute of Psychiatry in Mexico City and professor of public mental health at National Autonomous University of Mexico, School of Medicine. From 1980 to 1990 she was Associate Director of the Spanish Speaking Mental Health Research Center, at UCLA.
Her professional research career for almost twenty-five years has focused on the psychosocial and cultural factors that affect the quality of life, physical and mental health of Mexican-origin groups in the United States: Immigrants and later generation Mexican Americans; documented and undocumented immigrants; wives and children left behind in Mexican rural villages, and return migrants. Dr. Salgado de Snyder has published her research findings internationally, in more than 70 journal articles and book chapters.
She is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association (Division 45), Fulbright Fellow, member of the Mexican Academy of Sciences, and member of the prestigious Mexican Sistema Nacional de Investigadores. She has also been the Associate Editor of the Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences for the last 15 years. Among other groups of experts, Dr. Salgado de Snyder coordinates the Mexican side of the Migrant Health Core Group of the Mexico-U.S. Binational Commission; she is Presidential Advisor on Migration and Health; and Scientific Associate of the Texas/World Health Organization for Cross-Cultural Research on Mental Health and Psychosocial Factors in Health.
AND it is published in the Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences. I would not listen to that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
AND it is published in the Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences. I would not listen to that either.
One thing that would help is if the US government would remove the 'Hispanic' label from 'preferred groups'.

There is no 'Hispanic' race at all.

Most of the North American Latinos are American Indian genetically speaking despite denials by both.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I learned in creative writing that you can spin any Joe Schmo's resume into a professional-sounding piece of art.
Creative writing?

Quote:
She might have a lot of "experience" but as I previously said, every immigrant's story is different and her "study" certainly doesn't apply to most Asians that I know.
Her study doesn't apply to ANY Asians: "The Role of Ethnic Loyalty Among Mexican Immigrant Women." *smacks head*

Uh...From the short excerpt in the OP, the author agrees that immigrants' stories are different.

Quote:
Just because you have a long bio doesn't make you right when you're...uh. wrong.
And your credentials are? How many studies have you conducted on Mexican immigrant women? Perhaps you would link us to a contrasting study?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
No offense but what's the point of this post?
I'm not sure I "get" the point, either. Women from a macho, somewhat misogynistic culture LEAVE it. Afterward, those who 'reject' its restrictions and thrive in their new 'independent female' status----become less "loyal" to that 'old' culture.

Meanwhile, those who've been more 'accepting' of their status as 'inferiors', and more willing to accept their subservient role as women, remain more "loyal" to that culture.

The FIRST group (the 'disloyals') are less eager to return home than the SECOND group (the 'loyals').

Makes a lot of sense to me---but what's the point?

I'm sure that blacks who "enjoyed" segregation in the 1950's would be more eager to return to Mississippi from Chicago, in contrast to blacks who objected to segregation, who'd be more inclined to want to stay "up north"....but so what? What does this prove?...

Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Creative writing?

Her study doesn't apply to ANY Asians: "The Role of Ethnic Loyalty Among Mexican Immigrant Women." *smacks head*

Uh...From the short excerpt in the OP, the author agrees that immigrants' stories are different.

And your credentials are? How many studies have you conducted on Mexican immigrant women? Perhaps you would link us to a contrasting study?
nvxplorer, you get a A+ for paying attention in class. Thank you.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,347,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Except if they are here illegally. Then they should go home.
No doubt! When I say "Immigrants" I mean LEGAL immigrants. I always use the correct terminology and refer to them as illegal ALIENS when I am not referring to immigrants!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
No doubt! When I say "Immigrants" I mean LEGAL immigrants. I always use the correct terminology and refer to them as illegal ALIENS when I am not referring to immigrants!
Actually, that's a good point. Even in the term 'illegal immigrant', the "immigrant" part is something of a euphemism.....like calling a squatter an 'illegal renter'. A squatter isn't ANY kind of a renter--he's a trespasser.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,396 times
Knowing and living around Hispanics for the last 23 years in Los Angeles, I find that most many do not want to assimilate culturally, but language is more assimulation. However, the illegals that have been coming here for several years are of a 'new class' as law enforement states; they have an attitude that they own America, are brazen in many areas such as replacing our culture with theirs and criminal behaviours....this is of course illegal men mostly with the crime. Come to L.A. and see how bad it is, we want it all to go away yesterday.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,996,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Knowing and living around Hispanics for the last 23 years in Los Angeles, I find that most many do not want to assimilate culturally, but language is more assimulation. However, the illegals that have been coming here for several years are of a 'new class' as law enforement states; they have an attitude that they own America, are brazen in many areas such as replacing our culture with theirs and criminal behaviours....this is of course illegal men mostly with the crime. Come to L.A. and see how bad it is, we want it all to go away yesterday.
Well said Faith!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Quote:
they have an attitude that they own America
They read the paper, the internet, it is no secret they will be the majority in America in less than 25 yrs. Who can blame them for this attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or