U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,660,175 times
Reputation: 690

Advertisements

The Role of Ethnic Loyalty among Mexican Immigrant Women

V. Nelly Salgado De Snyder
University of California, Los Angeles

The purpose of this study was to examine the role of Ethnic Loyalty in a sample of 140 Mexican women who immigrated to the United States at age 14 or older and who have lived in this country for an average of 7.5 years. Using the median of the ethnic loyalty scale as the cut-off point respondents were divided into two groups: High Loyalty and Low Loyalty. Women who remained highly loyal to Mexican culture (High Loyalty) had significantly lower levels of self-esteem and satisfaction and higher levels of acculturative stress than their counterparts who scored lower on the loyalty scale (Low Loyalty). Furthermore, most of the women in the High Loyalty group had plans of returning to Mexico and planned on obtaining only legal residency status rather than U.S. citizenship. Findings of the study suggest that because of the lack of appropriate coping skills to deal with their new environment, immigrant women from Mexico who remain strongly attached to their traditional Mexican culture (High Loyalty) are at higher risk of manifesting psychological conflicts than those women who are more flexible in their cultural orientation as shown by their lower ethnic loyalty scores.

The Role of Ethnic Loyalty among Mexican Immigrant Women -- De Snyder 9 (3): 287 -- Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,794,116 times
Reputation: 620
No offense but what's the point of this post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM
 
Location: SW Kansas
1,787 posts, read 3,348,312 times
Reputation: 1401
Which supports the idea that immigrants should assimilate into their new country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,794,116 times
Reputation: 620
Not all immigrants are mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 AM
 
2,484 posts, read 7,904,579 times
Reputation: 1916
As someone who emigrated into this country with my parents, I know the above article certainly does not apply to all immigrants. In another words, it's a crock of horsepoop

Asians are highly loyal to our home culture and yet many are perfectly able to assimilate or perhaps even bring more into the American culture than we take out of it. I'm sure this is the case with many, many Mexicans as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Reputation: 3785
I depends upon the individual woman in this case.

Some become 'American' whereas others tend to hold on to more of the old ways.

Same applies for men.

I am first generation US born/raised on my father's side and I consider myself to be an 'American', period--------no hyphen involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,660,175 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
As someone who emigrated into this country with my parents, I know the above article certainly does not apply to all immigrants. In another words, it's a crock of horsepoop
Yeah you are probably right. The author of the article is far too unqualified to know what she is talking about. BTW- Here is her bio

V. Nelly Salgado de Snyder (Mexico) obtained her doctorate in Social Welfare from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Currently, she is Director of Community Health and Social Welfare of the Center for Health Systems Research of the Mexican National Institute of Public Health. Previous to this position, Dr. Salgado de Snyder was a senior researcher at the
National Institute of Psychiatry in Mexico City and professor of public mental health at National Autonomous University of Mexico, School of Medicine. From 1980 to 1990 she was Associate Director of the Spanish Speaking Mental Health Research Center, at UCLA.
Her professional research career for almost twenty-five years has focused on the psychosocial and cultural factors that affect the quality of life, physical and mental health of Mexican-origin groups in the United States: Immigrants and later generation Mexican Americans; documented and undocumented immigrants; wives and children left behind in Mexican rural villages, and return migrants. Dr. Salgado de Snyder has published her research findings internationally, in more than 70 journal articles and book chapters.
She is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association (Division 45), Fulbright Fellow, member of the Mexican Academy of Sciences, and member of the prestigious Mexican Sistema Nacional de Investigadores. She has also been the Associate Editor of the Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences for the last 15 years. Among other groups of experts, Dr. Salgado de Snyder coordinates the Mexican side of the Migrant Health Core Group of the Mexico-U.S. Binational Commission; she is Presidential Advisor on Migration and Health; and Scientific Associate of the Texas/World Health Organization for Cross-Cultural Research on Mental Health and Psychosocial Factors in Health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 AM
 
1,304 posts, read 2,922,878 times
Reputation: 393
so.. in other words.. she'll say or do whatever she has to.. to help her get her poor repressed relatives across the border...

Educated in America... where else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 AM
 
2,484 posts, read 7,904,579 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Yeah you are probably right. The author of the article is far too unqualified to know what she is talking about. BTW- Here is her bio

V. Nelly Salgado de Snyder (Mexico) obtained her doctorate in Social Welfare from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Currently, she is Director of Community Health and Social Welfare of the Center for Health Systems Research of the Mexican National Institute of Public Health. Previous to this position, Dr. Salgado de Snyder was a senior researcher at the
National Institute of Psychiatry in Mexico City and professor of public mental health at National Autonomous University of Mexico, School of Medicine. From 1980 to 1990 she was Associate Director of the Spanish Speaking Mental Health Research Center, at UCLA.
Her professional research career for almost twenty-five years has focused on the psychosocial and cultural factors that affect the quality of life, physical and mental health of Mexican-origin groups in the United States: Immigrants and later generation Mexican Americans; documented and undocumented immigrants; wives and children left behind in Mexican rural villages, and return migrants. Dr. Salgado de Snyder has published her research findings internationally, in more than 70 journal articles and book chapters.
She is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association (Division 45), Fulbright Fellow, member of the Mexican Academy of Sciences, and member of the prestigious Mexican Sistema Nacional de Investigadores. She has also been the Associate Editor of the Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences for the last 15 years. Among other groups of experts, Dr. Salgado de Snyder coordinates the Mexican side of the Migrant Health Core Group of the Mexico-U.S. Binational Commission; she is Presidential Advisor on Migration and Health; and Scientific Associate of the Texas/World Health Organization for Cross-Cultural Research on Mental Health and Psychosocial Factors in Health.
I learned in creative writing that you can spin any Joe Schmo's resume into a professional-sounding piece of art.

She might have a lot of "experience" but as I previously said, every immigrant's story is different and her "study" certainly doesn't apply to most Asians that I know.

Just because you have a long bio doesn't make you right when you're...uh. wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Which supports the idea that immigrants should assimilate into their new country!
Except if they are here illegally. Then they should go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top