Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Just as I predicted here, sure enough immigration is turning out to be a non issue in the Presidential races. Nobody is even talking about and now John McCain- a Republican who is liberal on immigration- is running ahead of the pack and could snare the nomination in a few weeks. And both of the Democrats are liberal on it too with Hillary being the more liberal one of the bunch and she will probably wrap up the nomination next Saturday in South Carolina.
I have stated all along that all the noise on this issue was being made by a few people. In fact very few people as it turns out. The vast majority of Americans do not hate the Mexicans and recognize the great benefits these people bring to our country and its economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,655 times
they just want the anchor baby votes... just like anything else.. once they get into office... you'll hear them spew off about then...

and anyone who thinks they are a benifit to our country is an idiot!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Just as I predicted here, sure enough immigration is turning out to be a non issue in the Presidential races. Nobody is even talking about and now John McCain- a Republican who is liberal on immigration- is running ahead of the pack and could snare the nomination in a few weeks. And both of the Democrats are liberal on it too with Hillary being the more liberal one of the bunch and she will probably wrap up the nomination next Saturday in South Carolina.
I have stated all along that all the noise on this issue was being made by a few people. In fact very few people as it turns out. The vast majority of Americans do not hate the Mexicans and recognize the great benefits these people bring to our country and its economy.
WTF...what's your source on all this...Air America? For most people, it's their most important, or second most important issue.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:13 AM

382 posts, read 954,301 times
We have not held these presidential clowns to any level of accountability on the illegal alien issue. They have not really given us much substance for what their stance is on illegal alien immigration and certainly no media person is going to risk their career on asking them and bringing the issue to the front. All of these career politicians have successfully danced around this issue because they know that many legal Hispanics are in favor of illegal immigration and they need their votes. Clinton and Mccain are one in the same. If Mccain gets the Rep nomination its a shoe in for Clinton. Mccain is a liberal Dem in Rep clothing; always has been. However, all this doesn't matter, the politicians in America will not do anything about illegal aliens because of the oil that Mexico imports to US. Mexico is the second largest importer behind Canada. This is why Bush has and always will kiss Mexican ass and has never done anything to rid US of illegal aliens. Any candidate that gets in to office will do the same thing. As much as leftists bash Bush, I feel he has been one of the most leftist Rep presidents we have had since his father.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 AM

902 posts, read 718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
WTF...what's your source on all this...Air America? For most people, it's their most important, or second most important issue.

I have him on ignore but see his posts when you quote him but he is all for illegals and really only reads and hears what he wants to see and hear.

You can bet that whomever gets "elected" they will give amnesty unless we hold Congress' feet to the fire. The President will not make any difference at all. It will be Congress we have to keep from sending an amnesty bill to the President to sign.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

Are you sure about this one? I'd like to know where you're getting this info. Virtually everyone I've talked to from many different walks of life think of this as a major problem to the US. I've also never heard anyone rave about the benefits of a ton of illegal immigrants in our country.

"The vast majority". You are a funny one, KevK. I like how you put "I have stated all along", all matter-of-factly. I just picture someone at the other end of the computer feeling really good about themselves for "setting the record straight" or something right now.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:19 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,738 times
In poll headlines for the last week or so, which did ask what issue was most important, immigration concerns still did not lead:

Exit polls: Economy was top issue for Michigan voters - CNN.com

Poll: Economy ties Iraq as top concern - 01/13/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation/story/377506.html - broken link)

Newsvine - AP Poll: Economy Ties War As Top Issue

cbs5.com - Poll Done By AP Says Americans Worried About Economy And War (http://cbs5.com/business/Economy.War.Issue.2.628340.html - broken link)

Economy Moves To Fore as Issue For 2008 Voters - WSJ.com
In a poll completed last month of a random sample of 1,013 adult residents in the Southwest United States, the question of what is, 'the' most important issue when compared to all issues, wasn't asked, ...but some other results are interesting.

Those taking the poll, 279 in Arizona, 103 in Nevada, 526 in Texas and 105 in New Mexico.

http://issrweb.asu.edu/pollresults.pdf (broken link)

...the results appear to contradict much of what is often said.

38 percent of respondents say that immigrants from other countries “helped their state more than they hurt it.

34 percent say that immigrants “helped and hurt their state about the same amount.”

83 percent of the respondents agree that undocumented immigrants who serve in the military should earn citizenship.

79 percent agree that children of undocumented immigrants who graduate from high school and are not involved in crime should become eligible for legal residency.

71 percent agree that undocumented immigrants who attend public colleges and universities should be able to pay in-state tuition rates if they grew up and graduated from a high school in the state.

58 percent agree that children who are born in the United States, but whose parents are undocumented immigrants, should be considered U.S. citizens.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
McCain ran adds in NC all last week saying he had “listened and learned” about cracking down on illegal immigration. Of course that’s just another of his lies, but it is the only add he ran.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:41 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Between the hardening legal/social attitude against illegal immigration and the looming recession.......it will become extremely 'uncomfortable' to be an illegal very soon.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I have him on ignore but see his posts when you quote him but he is all for illegals and really only reads and hears what he wants to see and hear.

You can bet that whomever gets "elected" they will give amnesty unless we hold Congress' feet to the fire. The President will not make any difference at all. It will be Congress we have to keep from sending an amnesty bill to the President to sign.
It is all about personal attacks and sticking your head in the sand when people disagree with you, isn't it?

On the other hand, I completely AGREE with you (*gasp!*) that its not the President that will be the change-bringer but rather the representatives each state elects to Congress. I think nowadays, people underestimate the power of Congress and forget that they are designed to be a branch that is JUST AS if not MORE powerful than the executive branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration