Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:04 PM

368 posts, read 413,253 times

Advertisements

I find the subject of Illegal Immigration to be "interesting", so to speak & after living here now for 2 years & seeing it first hand, I figured I could get the best answers from the folks who have lived here the longest. Also, why the would the Governor of this state declare on a live broadcast that, he welcomes all of the illegals to come here with open arms? Im just somebody trying to understand how all of this really works & I thank you in advance for your replies.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:50 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Politicians just cherry pick what laws they want to enforce. Liberal ninnies.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:15 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Because they are more of a help to the economy than they are a hindrance. Also because there is some sympathy to the fact they California is often safer or has more opportunity than the places they come from.

But ultimately because immigration is entirely the domain of the federal government. States are simply not allowed to deport people for being illegal. And if you can't deport illegals, anything else you might do is just pointless.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:30 PM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
Because los angeles is a mostly Democrat voting region and there has been a push by the Dems to cast illegal immigration as a civil rights struggle. Also, Hispanics are a huge voting bloc here so immigration hardliners are unlikely to gain traction

it's unfortunate... typical shortsighted politics from people who don't have the will or understanding to attack the root problems. real progressives would end the drug war and free trade deals which have brutalized much of latin america's working class so they're not incentivized to immigrate here, and in turn protect american workers by reducing the pool of illegal labor, strain on the social safety net, and higher cost of living that results from mass illegal immigration

Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM

496 posts, read 574,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
Because los angeles is a mostly Democrat voting region and there has been a push by the Dems to cast illegal immigration as a civil rights struggle. Also, Hispanics are a huge voting bloc here so immigration hardliners are unlikely to gain traction

it's unfortunate... typical shortsighted politics from people who don't have the will or understanding to attack the root problems. real progressives would end the drug war and free trade deals which have brutalized much of latin america's working class so they're not incentivized to immigrate here, and in turn protect american workers by reducing the pool of illegal labor, strain on the social safety net, and higher cost of living that results from mass illegal immigration
Very well stated

Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
Nothing wrong unless they are paying their taxes like everyone else and not on the welfare system or going to college on the taxpayer dime .. Oh wait...

Old 05-29-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
b

Hypothetically, if California or solely Los Angeles for that matter were Republican across the board in the corridors of power, it would be a different story here?

Old 05-29-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:

That definitely answered my question. Thanks for posting.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:13 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I don't think so. The politicians would just turn after their primary, back when they were party specific, and double cross for the general elections. Hoping that a future Latino voting bloc won't be locked to the Democratic Party like the so-called Black vote is.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:

Real progressives ARE trying to end the war on drugs. Why do you think there is such a big push for the decriminalization of marijuana, medical marijuana, and even now recreational marijuana? A lot of Democrats are also against completely open free trade. I, for one, support the full legalization of marijuana controlled by the state and the lessening of free trade agreements. I've studied and written thoroughly on the subject of free trade in my academic years. I understand how horribly it has affected basically all of North and South America, aside from the US and Canada.

I doubt the cost of living is significantly higher due to illegal immigrants though. The most sought after neighborhoods are never attainable on their generally low incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: