U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would MLK support illegal immigration?
Yes, he would be pro illegal immigration. 13 37.14%
No, He would be anti-illegal immigration 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
no. just like cesar chavez, he would have been reporting illegal workers to la migra b/c he knew that they would be competing with the very people that he was trying to defend and bringing their wages down. dr king was concened with the plight of americans, not tthe plight of a foreign people.
I was going to bring up Cesar Chavez. That's a good point because Cesar Chavez was joined by Ralph Abernathy a Civil Rights leader of that time and Walter Mondale for a march down to the border to demand enforcement of it.

Liberals in the past were more intelligent and for the people. Today they are with the big corporations and elitists who want their unlimited cheapest-possible labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Tomorrow, we will celebrate a man, who i feel, is one of the top 5 most important people to the United States, Dr. Martin Kuther King Jr. This is one issue that i feel should be talked about. Would MLK support illegal immigration? Illegals want to line their fights for amnesty up the civil rights struggle (which i feel is appalling). So do ya'll think MLK would support illegal immigration?

My opinion is that MLK fought for law-abiding, hard-working citizens who were done wrong only on the basis of their skin color (including hispanics) and nothing else. I doubt that he would have lifted a finger to fight for the non-existent rights of illegal immigrants because they broke laws to get here.

Plus -- there were illegals back then and MLK never brought them up to be included in with Americans for American civil rights.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,532,251 times
I tend to agree with Xavier.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I was going to bring up Cesar Chavez. That's a good point because Cesar Chavez was joined by Ralph Abernathy a Civil Rights leader of that time and Walter Mondale for a march down to the border to demand enforcement of it.

Liberals in the past were more intelligent and for the people. Today they are with the big corporations and elitists who want their unlimited cheapest-possible labor.

Good point. I knew a couple of people very close to Cesar Chavez, who'd actually worked alongside him in the UFW. Chavez was a champion of non-unionized, exploited, farm workers, MOST of whom were either Mexican immigrants, or whose parents had been. He was NO supporter of illegal immigration. Like anyone else, he recognized illegals as a direct threat to his own organization, serving to "undo" all the hard work he'd done in trying to improve conditions for his members.

Want to put Dr. Martin Luther King in the middle of all this? I don't see WHY--but OK, let's talk about Dr. King. What "would have been" (were he alive today), his feelings about "gangsta rap"?---would he have encouraged people to "stay in school"? (he certainly did when he was ALIVE)----What would Dr. King have had to say on the subject of Islamic terrorism, or the notion of "Aztlan"? What would Dr. King's comments have been about MTV? Were he still alive today, would he be wearing his pants up around his waist, or would Dr. King have adopted the habit of letting his pants "sag"? What would have been his advice to young folks regarding such expressions as "ho's"....or the "B" word? Would he have approved, or would he have suggested another way of expressing onesself?

We'll never really KNOW, of course--(but I have my OWN opinions)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,794,116 times
Quote:

So liberals are dumb now?? Just because you don't agree with liberals don't mean you have to insult them.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Plus -- there were illegals back then and MLK never brought them up to be included in with Americans for American civil rights.
Illegal immigration wasn't a big deal back then. Nobody cared about what they did.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,660,356 times
I think MLK would be neutral on the issue. ( Damn if you do, damn if you don't!)

I'm sure he would see through the thin veil of corporate/government policy creating the mess. He would compare it to a sophisicated slave holding/creating process.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Btw, what about the option of pro legalization? Being pro legalization doesn't necessarily mean you are pro- illegal immigration. I don't think you would appreciate it if someone called an anti-illegal anti-immigrant.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,701,141 times
We are not anti immigrant, just anti illegal, there is a difference.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Btw, what about the option of pro legalization? Being pro legalization doesn't necessarily mean you are pro- illegal immigration. I don't think you would appreciate it if someone called an anti-illegal anti-immigrant.
You CAN'T be serious. "Anti-illegal" is just about taken for GRANTED on this forum as meaning "anti-immigrant"---or "anti-Hispanic"---or "racist". "Anti-illegal" can even be taken to mean "being against ALL Americans of Hispanic descent--even those whose ancestors were here BEFORE the 'gringo' arrival". That's the whole problem, and it persists, even in the face of CONSTANT reminders that "illegals" and "legals" are two VERY DIFFERENT class of immigrants. A huge number of Hispanics aren't immigrants at ALL-they were here all along.

To make things more complicated, of course there ARE racist elements among the "anti-illegal" thinkers--however, it's perfectly possible to be against illegal immigration for MANY, non-racist reasons.

Some racists have a very dim view of Islamic suicide bombers...yet, hating suicide bombers is entirely possible, even for those who do NOT hate Muslims. Many people just hate the entire CONCEPT of suicide-bombing, with or without any 'racial' overtones...Ditto for illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or