U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 05:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Long thrashed by swings in the U.S. economy, Mexico now boasts a thriving housing sector whose record growth leads Latin America a sign of increased economic stability and an outlet for investors looking to escape the U.S. downturn.
Yahoo News article (broken link)

Interesting; maybe Mexico is starting to take responsibility for itself finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,045,476 times
I have also read that as an American if you go to Mexico to purchase property, you are not allowed to own it directly, its owned by some government set up trust.

I wouldn't give you 5 pesos for property in Mexico.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:10 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,442,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have also read that as an American if you go to Mexico to purchase property, you are not allowed to own it directly, its owned by some government set up trust.

Maybe this is good news, I am unsure, but if it creates an atmosphere where the illegals all return to Mexico it will give us time to secure our borders so they can't pull an encore performance! I wouldn't give one peso for anything in/from Mexico.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:46 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:

Don't know the exact state of the law just now, but traditionally, foreigners couldn't purchase land on their own in Mexico--they needed a Mexican business partner. This actually discouraged the country's development a great deal.

After "losing" California, Texas, and other areas, the Mexican government became extremely paranoid about 'selling' to foreigners...apparently too paranoid for their own best interests.

I knew a couple of illegals who COULD have been naturalized years before, but elected remain Mexican citizens, in order to hold on to land they owned there. (Nowadays, I suppose they could just become 'dual citizens')

Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,633 times
Quote:
President Felipe Calderon has set a national goal of a million new mortgages a year by 2010. On Monday, he unveils a set of measures to ensure growth continues, with plans to boost Mexico's small resale market and combat the urban sprawl that has begun to carpet valleys with hundreds of thousands of matchbox rowhomes.

Behind the boom are six years of economic growth and stability, and a national shortage of 6 million dwellings. While interest rates are falling, just 6 percent of Mexico's 25.7 million homes are financed with mortgages compared to about 67 percent in the U.S. Most Mexicans still inherit their homes, buy them with cash, or build them by hand
Sounds like Calderon has been reading economist Hernando De Soto's book

Amazon.com: The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else: Books: Hernando De Soto

Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,667 times
House soar in Mexico in part is using their Country's second largest income, which is all the money illegals send back home to Mexico. Americans have paid dearly for this, too.

Americans used to own property in Mexico, but that ended several years ago. All the house owners of many years on the beach in Baja lost their homes to the Mexican gov. due to the claim of it being Indian land.

Last edited by faith10; 01-21-2008 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,674,204 times
Quote:

You are way too generous, Lindsey. ! ! ! !

Old 01-22-2008, 07:38 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,691,681 times
It's a crying shame that it will take an American economic "downturn" (I prefer to call a pig a pig--it's a recession) in order for Mexico to begin any sort of economic reform. Guess they're getting ready for their influx of Mexican nationals driven out of this country by immigration enforcement and the lack of available jobs.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 AM

436 posts, read 576,585 times
Whether they need them or not, we should still send them back. Let them worry about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration