Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,808,221 times

Advertisements

No Habla Espanol!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,680,870 times
Is this really true? Jeb Bush's wife doesn't speak English? I would think that would be out in the news by now if it was true.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,134,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
Mandarin/Cantonese is even more different from English than Spanish is, yet did not stop Jackie Chan for example from learning to speak English and do media interviews in English. And he does not even live in the U.S as he spends most of his time in China and Hong Kong. Jeb Bush's wife actually lives in the U.S 365 days a year, what is her excuse? She can afford to hire some of the best English speaking tutors in the world because she married into money. Yet she chooses not to.

You answered your own question because "she chooses not to" just like you choose to make a thread about someone you don't personally know....

Old 06-07-2015, 10:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,680,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You answered your own question because "she chooses not to" just like you choose to make a thread about someone you don't personally know....
If Jeb Bush runs for president, her not speaking English is actually an issue and you know it. If a Democratic candidates wife didn't speak English, the GOP would flip out.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,767,039 times
Why does she need to speak English?

Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 PM

22,387 posts, read 11,908,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What's wrong with you Conservatives with the whole "i don't like to agree with you" mindset?

SMH...that's a ridiculous stance to have. You WANT people to post things that you disagree with so that you can be disputatious, or because you don't like them....although they're people that you don't even know?

Right wingers...i swear. You folks are something else.

Feel better now?

It seems to me that YOU like to be "disputatious" yourself as you don't want to agree with conservatives

Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 PM

15,844 posts, read 21,388,539 times
I'm sure she speaks English, but she may be more shy and introverted coupled with a common reluctance due to accents. I've found that Mexican immigrants in particular are concerned about their accents - a dear friend of mine was born to an American mother and Mexican father who met while getting their PhDs in the US and was raised speaking both languages at home in Mexico. He has lived in the US almost 15 years now and will always have a heavy accent. He believes he is treated differently because of it, even though his English is perfect.

I can imagine that would feel even more magnified if you are a politician's wife. Unfortunately, some people will make an automatic negative impression of someone because their English has a foreign (or regional, like Southern) accent. Her lack of public speaking to English-speaking audiences might be a calculated choice.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:56 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,140,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It's commonplace. And it's perfectly understandable in Columba Bush's case. Becoming fluent in a second language as an adult is hard, and with a rich husband who likes to speak Spanish, she simply hasn't had a compelling reason to put in that kind of effort.
Nah...that's bunk and of course, you know it.

No compelling reason? That't bunk too. She lives in an English speaking nation and is married into an American political dynasty that has spawned two presidents, two congressmen, and two former governors. She's also married to a man with presidential ambitions and has a son with serious political ambitions of his own.

That's not compelling enough? Please.

She has nothing but time and money to sit down with a tutor a few hours a day and learn English, and she's had 40 years to do it.

Now again, i'm sure she's a wonderful person and i don't care if she can or can't speak good English...i won't be voting for her husband regardless. But you can't avoid the fact that The stated Republican standard is that everyone coming here must assimilate and learn English. She's a registered Republican.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Why does she need to speak English?
Again, she's a REGISTERED REPUBLICAN. Her party's standard, which they can't help but reiterate every 5 minutes is that all immigrants must assimilate and learn English.

I've never heard a single Republican state the caveat that not learning fluency in English is ok after four decades if you're married to a wealthy politician.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Feel better now?

It seems to me that YOU like to be "disputatious" yourself as you don't want to agree with conservatives
Because i usually disagree with Republicans on the issues of the day.

But when i don't disagree, i sure as hell don't say something as lame as "i hate to agree with you."

I agree with you or i don't. If i don't, i'll tell you why i don't. But if happen to agree with you, i don't need to give you some silly ass preamble about how i hate agreeing with you as if you offended me by saying something that i happen to agree with. That's petty.

So yeah, i feel better.

Moving on....
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm sure she speaks English, but she may be more shy and introverted coupled with a common reluctance due to accents. I've found that Mexican immigrants in particular are concerned about their accents - a dear friend of mine was born to an American mother and Mexican father who met while getting their PhDs in the US and was raised speaking both languages at home in Mexico. He has lived in the US almost 15 years now and will always have a heavy accent. He believes he is treated differently because of it, even though his English is perfect.

I can imagine that would feel even more magnified if you are a politician's wife. Unfortunately, some people will make an automatic negative impression of someone because their English has a foreign (or regional, like Southern) accent. Her lack of public speaking to English-speaking audiences might be a calculated choice.
Yeah, well we'll find out, won't we. Something tells me that you could be right, but i'm not buying it at this point.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:22 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,742,384 times
Quote:
She lives in an English speaking nation and is married into an American political dynasty that has spawned two presidents, two congressmen, and two former governors. She's also married to a man with presidential ambitions and has a son with serious political ambitions of his own.
None of that will fix her accent. For some people it is almost impossible to do as an adult.

Quote:
She has nothing but time and money to sit down with a tutor a few hours a day
and learn English, and she's had 40 years to do it.
And you've had 40 years to get into Ronnie Coleman like physical condition. All it takes is a few hours of training every day. How's that going?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 AM

22,387 posts, read 11,908,977 times
Quote:

Because i usually disagree with Republicans on the issues of the day.

But when i don't disagree, i sure as hell don't say something as lame as "i hate to agree with you."

I agree with you or i don't. If i don't, i'll tell you why i don't. But if happen to agree with you, i don't need to give you some silly ass preamble about how i hate agreeing with you as if you offended me by saying something that i happen to agree with. That's petty.

So yeah, i feel better.
Such blather. You need to take a chill pill instead of just about bursting a blood vessel over something so trivial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.