U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,700,585 times

Advertisements

Would you vote for a presidential candidate with the following platform:

1. USA out of the UN
2. Against the closing of military bases. Thinks we need more bases in the states.
3. Strict constitutionalist.
4. Strong belief in U.S. sovereignty! No North American Union!
5. Belief that states should be allowed to police their own borders.
6. Belief that homeowners have the right to protect their "borders".
7. Believe that Ramos & Compean should have never gone on trial and wants them out of prison NOW!!
8. Wants to pass legislation clarifying/defining 14th amendment original intent - NOT for the children of aliens, legal or illegal. At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen in order for the child to obtain U.S. citizenship.
8. Against the REAL ID act.
9. For the Fence Bill!
10. Believes that there should be more border guards on the border, BOTH of them!
11. Believes illegals should go back home. No rewards for bad behavior!
12. Out of Iraq as soon as humanly possible.

I'm just curious to know how many people believe this to be a supportable stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,926,091 times
who do you have in mind that fits the bill?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,076,964 times
Of course, no candidate will support all of these views, but yes, I agree with you (Except for the strict constitutionalist position. As the Constitution is, by design, open to interpretation, I'm not sure what a "strict constitutionalist" actually is.)

Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 PM

23,052 posts, read 32,062,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Would you vote for a presidential candidate with the following platform:

1. USA out of the UN
2. Against the closing of military bases. Thinks we need more bases in the states.
3. Strict constitutionalist.
4. Strong belief in U.S. sovereignty! No North American Union!
5. Belief that states should be allowed to police their own borders.
6. Belief that homeowners have the right to protect their "borders".
7. Believe that Ramos & Compean should have never gone on trial and wants them out of prison NOW!!
8. Wants to pass legislation clarifying/defining 14th amendment original intent - NOT for the children of aliens, legal or illegal. At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen in order for the child to obtain U.S. citizenship.
8. Against the REAL ID act.
9. For the Fence Bill!
10. Believes that there should be more border guards on the border, BOTH of them!
11. Believes illegals should go back home. No rewards for bad behavior!
12. Out of Iraq as soon as humanly possible.

I'm just curious to know how many people believe this to be a supportable stance.
this sounds very similar to ron paul. I'm voting for paul if he is still in it by the time the VA primary comes around, so i guess i do support someone with that stance.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,700,585 times
A constitutionalist believes that the federal government must be held to the standards of the official process of passing Amendments to change the Constitution when needed, instead of merely passing legislation that is either not expressly allowed under the language of the Constitution or directly violates the intent of the document.

This is a candidate within this presidential race, someone I had not thought I would necessarily agree with on very many issues. I like the stance on the above stated platform issues, but I am still researching this person. I just wondered if others thought these issues to be relevant to whether or not they would look at a candidates stance further than the one or two issues they seem to be getting the most press on.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 PM

902 posts, read 507,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Of course, no candidate will support all of these views, but yes, I agree with you (Except for the strict constitutionalist position. As the Constitution is, by design, open to interpretation, I'm not sure what a "strict constitutionalist" actually is.)
Do you also believe that the Bible is open to interpretation? Just wondering is all because I see bothas either open to interpretation or not but not either or.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
A constitutionalist believes that the federal government must be held to the standards of the official process of passing Amendments to change the Constitution when needed, instead of merely passing legislation that is either not expressly allowed under the language of the Constitution or directly violates the intent of the document.
I understand, but this is still a matter of interpretation. We may disagree with a Court decision (Indeed, rarely are the Justices unanimous in opinion), but those of the majority do feel they are interpreting the language correctly.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,799,291 times
If you want a police state, this candidate would be great. Btw, what do you mean by states police their own borders? Many Americans will not like the idea of not being able to freely move about the country without being stopped at checkpoints.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Do you also believe that the Bible is open to interpretation? Just wondering is all because I see bothas either open to interpretation or not but not either or.
I'm an atheist.

The written word is open to interpretation. Heck, our own thoughts are open to interpretation by ourselves.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,418,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
what do you mean by states police their own borders?
Having a States police force, like in AZ, the AZ Dept of Public Safety, patrol the border entry points and elsewhere.

Perhaps you have never come through a border area - not uncommon now for the Border Patrol to have check points -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration