Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would MLK support illegal immigration?
Yes, he would be pro illegal immigration. 13 37.14%
No, He would be anti-illegal immigration 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow, we will celebrate a man, who i feel, is one of the top 5 most important people to the United States, Dr. Martin Kuther King Jr. This is one issue that i feel should be talked about. Would MLK support illegal immigration? Illegals want to line their fights for amnesty up the civil rights struggle (which i feel is appalling). So do ya'll think MLK would support illegal immigration?

My opinion is that MLK fought for law-abiding, hard-working citizens who were done wrong only on the basis of their skin color (including hispanics) and nothing else. I doubt that he would have lifted a finger to fight for the non-existent rights of illegal immigrants because they broke laws to get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 11:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Frankly, who cares?

And, it would anyones guess because MLK is dead and no one can ask him!

You should have had a third choice - "I don't know"

Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
I don't believe Dr. King would condone the behavior of illegal aliens. The attempt by pro-illegals to hijack the Civil Rights Movement is indeed appalling, and an affront to all who fought and died in support of the cause. There is no logical comparison between the ‘rights’ of legal citizens, and the ‘demands’ of foreigners who have illegally entered our country. Of course, we will never know.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Since Dr. King advocated equal rights for all Americans I doubt he would have lifted a finger to support or further the cause of these illegal lawbreakers!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
MLK was first and foremost a bleeding-heart liberal so OF COURSE he would be on the same side that Jesse Jackson is today: amnesty.

Dumb question.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
He would have been against illegal immigration; I think he would resent the illegals demanding rights and benefits of citizenship that many African-American citizens don't have. If he were alive during the 2000 election, he would have been outraged at how African-Americans were given false information and in some cases turned away from the polls.

Hispanic civil rights leader Cesar Chavez was adamantly opposed to illegal immigration as it undercut the wages and employment of the farm workers for whom he was fighting.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:50 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Dr. King would have expressed sympathy for the plight of the poor in ANY country, but would have admonished them also to obey the law. He'd have offered moral support, but would have insisted that breaking the law was not a permanent option. He'd have encouraged the illegals to use non-violent means in their OWN country to press for social change..

Old 01-20-2008, 03:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don't believe Dr. King would condone the behavior of illegal aliens. The attempt by pro-illegals to hijack the Civil Rights Movement is indeed appalling, and an affront to all who fought and died in support of the cause. There is no logical comparison between the ‘rights’ of legal citizens, and the ‘demands’ of foreigners who have illegally entered our country. Of course, we will never know.
No joke there; I take offence to a bunch of trespassers my country attempting to justify their behavior via 'Civil Rights'

Most Blacks were brought here as slaves and; if if any 'Hispanics' can make that same claim.

Like you; Benicar, I cannot say yay or nay what Dr. King would have said/done.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,441 times
MLK had way too much on the ball to condone law breakers. He was an good and honest man that expected the same of others.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Tomorrow, we will celebrate a man, who i feel, is one of the top 5 most important people to the United States, Dr. Martin Kuther King Jr. This is one issue that i feel should be talked about. Would MLK support illegal immigration? Illegals want to line their fights for amnesty up the civil rights struggle (which i feel is appalling). So do ya'll think MLK would support illegal immigration?

My opinion is that MLK fought for law-abiding, hard-working citizens who were done wrong only on the basis of their skin color (including hispanics) and nothing else. I doubt that he would have lifted a finger to fight for the non-existent rights of illegal immigrants because they broke laws to get here.
no. just like cesar chavez, he would have been reporting illegal workers to la migra b/c he knew that they would be competing with the very people that he was trying to defend and bringing their wages down. dr king was concened with the plight of americans, not tthe plight of a foreign people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration