U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM

8,063 posts, read 3,623,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
Well, Reagan, his followers, and conservative Republicans in general, are huge supporters of immigration, to keep labor costs down.
It always tickled my fancy to watch these white people support them over and over, thinking, any day now they will control the borders, and America will be ours again. These suckers believed it for going on 34 years now, and they still believe it.

But this is all academic. Surely you all can see that America is headed for economic and political dissolution.
All I know is we had a robust improving Economy over Carter Failure. I do not why we mix Immigration with the economic success of Ron Reagan. JFK even had the same ideals Reagan had and he was a firmly New England Democrat.

Immigration is and always be a hot topic. It is true that its been a Luke warm boarder security, Now we are in a new time.

Boarder security is absolutely required now, with the threat of terrorism. We need to enforce our current laws and enforce employer mandates. It works and works well in my home state of Arizona.

Of course there is always room for improvement and revised a more strict visa work program and adapt Australia's immigration policies . This actually works!

There has been long on going debates over President Reagan. He in mind of many is still one the greatest Presidents this country has the privilege to have.

There are many who would like to rewrite history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,238,468 times
Meanwhile Obamanomics has been an unmitigated disaster for the middle class and a heck of a lot of the rest of us.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:06 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Immigration policy and supply side economics are not the same thing. That's like comparing an orange to your television.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't comparing immigration to ss economics. I was stating that the immigration we've seen is a byproduct of the policy.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,404,000 times
I'm not buying that either. At a basic level, Reagonics was just supply side economics. Basically lowering taxes will result in enough economic growth to cover the cost of the taxes. It really only works at very high levels of taxation. To state your argument another way, we wouldn't have seen this immigration without Reagan's policies which is really asinine. They're not closely related. We have illegal immigration because jobs here pay a lot more than in Mexico and Central America. Not electing Raegan wouldn't have avoided illegals in this country.

Quote:
Obamanomics
There's not even a real definition of that, so you're just whining. Obama inherited the greatest recession in 100 years. You can blame that solidly on the guy before him. Of course, it's hard to own up that your votes might have been the cause of the problem, huh.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM

405 posts, read 358,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think you're totally correct that this was planned, and the government wants to keep it going, unlike the People.

If jobs keep getting outsourced, given to illegals, and wages of citizens are depressed further, EVENTUALLY, there will be an uprising.

According to Marx (I studied this a LONG time ago!), capitalism must expand or die. Well, it keeps expanding, and as it does, the theory is that the workers will finally unite against this situation, and capitalism WILL die. It never happened here in the PAST because everyone thought they could achieve the American Dream - but, now, lots of people cannot, even if they have good jobs. Wages have been depressed for decades, and with everything going on including globalism with low-wage competition, it just gets worse as costs of housing, utilities, etc. go up.
I give this about 75 years. Long beyond the lifespan of most on here.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:51 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I'm not buying that either. At a basic level, Reagonics was just supply side economics. Basically lowering taxes will result in enough economic growth to cover the cost of the taxes. It really only works at very high levels of taxation. To state your argument another way, we wouldn't have seen this immigration without Reagan's policies which is really asinine. They're not closely related. We have illegal immigration because jobs here pay a lot more than in Mexico and Central America. Not electing Raegan wouldn't have avoided illegals in this country.
Okay. Then, the question is why did we see such a great influx of illegals in the eighties? Jobs have always paid more here, but until ss economics was instituted, illegal immigration was low. I realize correlation does not equal causation.

Quote:
There's not even a real definition of that, so you're just whining. Obama inherited the greatest recession in 100 years. You can blame that solidly on the guy before him. Of course, it's hard to own up that your votes might have been the cause of the problem, huh.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Okay. Then, the question is why did we see such a great influx of illegals in the eighties? Jobs have always paid more here, but until ss economics was instituted, illegal immigration was low. I realize correlation does not equal causation.
IMHO it's because Mexico's HUGE birthrate in the 1960's "forced" lots of its people to come here ILLEGALLY 20 years later because Mexico wouldn't step up and let businesses do their thing.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
All I know is we had a robust improving Economy over Carter Failure. I do not why we mix Immigration with the economic success of Ron Reagan. JFK even had the same ideals Reagan had and he was a firmly New England Democrat.

Immigration is and always be a hot topic. It is true that its been a Luke warm boarder security, Now we are in a new time.

Boarder security is absolutely required now, with the threat of terrorism. We need to enforce our current laws and enforce employer mandates. It works and works well in my home state of Arizona.

Of course there is always room for improvement and revised a more strict visa work program and adapt Australia's immigration policies . This actually works!

There has been long on going debates over President Reagan. He in mind of many is still one the greatest Presidents this country has the privilege to have.

There are many who would like to rewrite history.
I believe we will soon see some disaster related to an open border. Whether it's an EBOLA type epidemic or a terrorist act it will have the same effect. There will be partisan support to actually close the border and defend it.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM

7,846 posts, read 5,035,112 times
Reagonomics. (See 1981).

Old 09-23-2014, 02:26 PM

31,491 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I believe we will soon see some disaster related to an open border. Whether it's an EBOLA type epidemic or a terrorist act it will have the same effect. There will be partisan support to actually close the border and defend it.
Unfortunately, I think that's what it will take for our politicians to wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration