Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nope.

Right

Right
Yep.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
What argument? No facts were presented in rebuttal. No name calling. Just behavior identification.

This forum is as I suspected. A handful of regulars backslapping each other without a lick of foundation for their blind allegiance to the Trump's and Limbaugh's.
Your "argument" is that it is fine for us to have illegals committing crimes because they supposedly commit fewer crimes than U.S. citizens.

That argument is absurd.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:46 AM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I don't know how much more simply I can put it to you, but let's try this scenario based on real life:

Authorities have the opportunity to deport an illegal alien who already has a felony record.

But the authorities fail to take advantage of that opportunity.

The illegal alien then murders a U.S. citizen.

Clearly, that murder would not have taken place if the authorities had done their job and deported the illegal alien in question.

We can't deport U.S. citizens who might commit crimes.

We can and should (whenever we have the opportunity to do so) deport illegal aliens -- especially those who already have numerous felony convictions as was the case in San Francisco.

Now, if you can't or won't accept this, then I submit that you don't care about U.S. citizens.

You only care about protecting illegal aliens -- even when they are felons.

Hey, what not be upfront about it? Why all the dancing?

Old 07-11-2015, 10:26 AM

335 posts, read 329,650 times
Quote:
Your "argument" is that it is fine for us to have illegals committing crimes because they supposedly commit fewer crimes than U.S. citizens.

That argument is absurd.
Never argued that it is fine for us to have illegals committing crimes regardless of the ratio to citizen committed crimes. Quote it if you think otherwise.

What's absurd is not reading carefully and thoughtfully before firing off inaccurate salvos.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:34 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:

That argument is absurd.
Actually you are arguing that crime would be better if committed by citizens. Perhaps you believe the family of the woman murdered in Hollywood feels better than Kate's family because her assassin was likely US born?

And in fact the presence of Hispanics, legal or not, likely lowers the probability that one living in an area will be a violent crime victim.

And your message again demonstrates how little you understand about all this . It is not illegal for an undocumented worker to take a job. If you disagree cite the statute violated. It is not even always illegal to hire one. Generally day workers can be illegal and legally hired.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,571 times
Day workers need a temporary work visa to legally do manual labor in the U.S. Employers can face serious fines if they hire illegal aliens. Why do you think so many employers are using E-Verify? I worked in management at a luxury hotel when ICE came in and cleared out the illegals working in housekeeping and the kitchen. The hotel had stiff fines levied against it.

Let's stop with regurgitating the pro-illegal alien talking points. I am surprised that the "picking our crops" and "doing what Americans refuse to do," oh, I almost forgot about the "you're a racist," aren't being bandied around more. See, what those pro-illegals folks always miss is that we are FOR legal immigration.

BTW, about 5% of illegals work in the fields of the Central Valley. Yup, because illegals are upsurping the carpenters, laborers, and painters because "that is where the money is." Talk to construction workers about the number of illegals working in their field. To me, those are the real statistics.

How about our veterans (including Vietnam Era veterans) who can't get into construction or other similar jobs because the industries are chock full o' illegals? It is about time we pay attention to our needy citizens before throwing out this noisy debate and wasting time and money on those who broke our laws to sneak over here "for the American Dream." As far as I am concerned, they can have the so-called Dream because this country is going down the tubes. Plus the "Dream" is being paid for by the U.S. taxpayers. What cha gonna do, Dream seekers? We are running out of money and patience.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:36 PM

335 posts, read 329,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Day workers need a temporary work visa to legally do manual labor in the U.S. Employers can face serious fines if they hire illegal aliens. Why do you think so many employers are using E-Verify? I worked in management at a luxury hotel when ICE came in and cleared out the illegals working in housekeeping and the kitchen. The hotel had stiff fines levied against it.

Let's stop with regurgitating the pro-illegal alien talking points. I am surprised that the "picking our crops" and "doing what Americans refuse to do," oh, I almost forgot about the "you're a racist," aren't being bandied around more. See, what those pro-illegals folks always miss is that we are FOR legal immigration.

BTW, about 5% of illegals work in the fields of the Central Valley. Yup, because illegals are upsurping the carpenters, laborers, and painters because "that is where the money is." Talk to construction workers about the number of illegals working in their field. To me, those are the real statistics.

How about our veterans (including Vietnam Era veterans) who can't get into construction or other similar jobs because the industries are chock full o' illegals? It is about time we pay attention to our needy citizens before throwing out this noisy debate and wasting time and money on those who broke our laws to sneak over here "for the American Dream." As far as I am concerned, they can have the so-called Dream because this country is going down the tubes. Plus the "Dream" is being paid for by the U.S. taxpayers. What cha gonna do, Dream seekers? We are running out of money and patience.
There's been zero "pro-illegals" argument here. Zip. No one has suggested that illegal aliens have a right to be here or are desired here. What has been amply demonstrated without question is the danger of illegals as criminals is vastly overstated. To get rid of illegals try focusing on real issues rather than myths. Focus on punishing the crime of employing them. A crime which is perpetrated exclusively by natural born American citizens.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:44 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:

Agreed and to go further; a head of lettuce that's a dollar now MIGHT go up to a few cents if the illegal alien farm people went away. I'll GLADLY pay more for food if it was handled by Americans or at least legal aliens while here in the US.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:58 PM

288 posts, read 212,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I see people get their undies in a bunch over crime, and of course incidents like SF are going to get the usual suspects here in one of their frenzies, but I'd really like you guys to explain this one. The US violent crime rate has dropped by about 50% 1990-2012, while the illegal immigrant population rose from an estimated 3.5 million in 1990 to about 12 million in 2012, or up almost 3.5x what it was in 1990. I'm sure most of you think those numbers are underestimated, which makes the falling crime rate even more puzzling given the tone of this forum.

How is this explained? Clearly, many if not most of you believe that illegals are in large part made up of hard-core criminals. Many of you are no doubt subscribers to the Trump view that illegal groups of chock full of rapists, murderers and otherwise unsavory characters. So why aren't their high crime rates showing up in the overall US numbers? Even broken down by state or city, almost everywhere is seeing the exact same trend, even those with significant numbers of immigrants, legal or not, like California, Arizona and Texas.

I suspect this data will simply be ignored (despite the fact that illegal crime has been made the subject of thread after thread in this awful forum) and that contributors will simply say that it doesn't matter, that they shouldn't be here whether or not they are contributing to national crime rates. I'm hoping at least someone, however, will approach this question honestly and not simply go for the typical copout. We'll see. The national violent crime rate chart 1990-2012 is below.
You stand correct my friend, PEW research (an independent entity) reveals that immigrants, including illegal immigrants, have much lower crime rates than american citizens, which implies that the more illegal immigrants in the USA, the lower the crime rates, however participants in this forum would never accept that fact, and will continue spewing hate against immigrants, legal or illegal till they die. Shameful it is the way they reason, which would be the equivalent to state, for example, that since all serial killers are white, therefore, all whites are serial killers, which we all know not to be true....

Old 07-11-2015, 04:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Nope. Day workers need no documents. But cite the statute that an illegal alien needs a work visa. Should be a piece of cake.

Quote:
I am not in the least pro illegal. Just want to see it resolved...and particularly before it gets worse. Little of it is racist. Lots of it is xenophobic. And don't you bet on who is for legal immigration. CIS for instance and Ann Coulter in particular are no fans of legal immigration. I certainly have trouble with H1Bs and I am not sure family reunification is the best algorithm for legal immigration.

Quote:

You just noticed? The trades for residential construction went Hispanic 30 years ago here in Vegas. Encouraged by Caucasian contractors trying to break the unions...which they did. That provides a rich employment opportunity for the illegals and has vastly strengthened the hold of the underground economy in that area. Nobody actually knows who is working on a job but the low level subs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration