Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,492,771 times

Advertisements

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the agriculture industry needing more workers in the field. (I didn't catch if this was just a California thing.)

I found this older article, and it did get me wondering...
How would the mess we're in with open borders be different if American employment included field work? Yes, it's hard work, but isn't that what people are claiming about out of country hiring? "They're only doing the work Americans wont do"? If your kid needed a job, would you oppose them working in the fields with the H-2A groups?

We’re running out of farm workers. Immigration reform won’t help. - The Washington Post

Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Why would an American kid that can stay at home playing video games or work at Disney land, want to sweat in the fields with no future?

I truly believe illegals are the only ones that actually look for these jobs and can manage to take care of their families in these conditions and pay.

America is not so great that people with degrees from Latin America will leave their countries to come work in the fields either.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,826,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the agriculture industry needing more workers in the field. (I didn't catch if this was just a California thing.)

How would the mess we're in with open borders be different if American employment included field work? Yes, it's hard work, but isn't that what people are claiming about out of country hiring? "They're only doing the work Americans wont do"? If your kid needed a job, would you oppose them working in the fields with the H-2A groups?

We’re running out of farm workers. Immigration reform won’t help. - The Washington Post
Oh well. Unless the US is totally stupid: we'll figure out how to do more with less help. So food prices go up a bit; it's not like most Americans are too thin. lol

Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM

22,289 posts, read 11,794,332 times
The minute I saw that it was a Washington Post article, I knew that it would be pro-illegal immigration/pro-amnesty.

First of all, there is an agricultural guest worker program that has no caps on it. Second, if Mexicans don't want to come here on that visa program, I'm sure that there are those in the Central American countries that would do so.

Either way, it's not like honest farmers don't have any options. It's the sleazy farmers who refuse to use the visa program and instead opt for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor who have problems when a state cracks down on illegals.

My daughter went to college in the Mid-West and met many students at her school that spent their summers working on farms---apparently, it's a very common occurrence in rural, Mid-Western areas.

Plus, when illegals are a dime a dozen, farmers have no incentive to mechanize. Some have mechanized, but those who refuse to use the guest worker program and refuse to mechanize are the ones who are doing most of the whining.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM

62,439 posts, read 28,688,891 times
Quote:

The H-2A visas are unlimited so why are the growers having a shortage of workers? If I had lived in a rural area and growers were needing workers I would encourage my kids to do it for spending money. Many Americans however don't live in rural areas.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:25 PM

62,439 posts, read 28,688,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Why would an American kid that can stay at home playing video games or work at Disney land, want to sweat in the fields with no future?

I truly believe illegals are the only ones that actually look for these jobs and can manage to take care of their families in these conditions and pay.

America is not so great that people with degrees from Latin America will leave their countries to come work in the fields either.
You're stereotyping our American youth and I find that shameful. Did you read my prior post about many Americans not living in rural areas? So the H-2A visas aren't attracting Mexicans and other Latinos to come here legally and work? Why would that be? Of course, no foreigner with a degree would do it and why would they? There aren't enough poor, unskilled Latinos to come on those visas? If so, then why are there millions of them here illegally?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:13 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Oh well. Unless the US is totally stupid: we'll figure out how to do more with less help. So food prices go up a bit; it's not like most Americans are too thin. lol
Probably be cheaper just to import food from Mexico.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,806,627 times
Quote:
"They're only doing the work Americans wont do"?
They won;t do it for the wage the Mexicans work. Someone needs to pick the tomatoes and without cheap labor either A)wages will rise until someone takes those jobs or B)robots to pick them will arrive on the scene much more quickly.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,826,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Probably be cheaper just to import food from Mexico.
Agreed for maybe 10 years. Tho since Mexico's pop growth's crashing like a rock; soon Mexicans won't be making enough babies to replace the old people dying, that'll start forcing wages up and FAST.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,065,286 times
Remember when Alabama enacted tough immigration law and all the Mexican immigrants moved away? The farmers hired a bunch of Americans to replace them, but all of those folks quit within two days. So that's Exhibit A. It's back breaking physical work in 100 degree humid climate for low pay - not gonna work. Literally.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration