U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 AM

635 posts, read 1,560,627 times

Advertisements

There's not enough Americans who do the extremely hard work of meat packing. Without illegal immigrants working in those factories, you bet meat would skyrocket in supermarkets and when there's an increase many people usually panic and don't buy the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
There's not enough Americans who do the extremely hard work of meat packing. Without illegal immigrants working in those factories, you bet meat would skyrocket in supermarkets and when there's an increase many people usually panic and don't buy the product.
As if anyone take an aider and abetter of illegal immigrants seriously?

We have suffered through much worse as a people; besides, many of us (including myself) are too fat as it is.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
You obviously didn't bother to read the OP or any of the rest of the thread before making your inane comments. These jobs used to be SOLIDLY middle-class and paid very good wages, wages that were earned by Americans. Now that the corporations have murdered the unions, slashed the wages and brought in hundreds of thousands of illegals to perform these jobs, have you seen the price of meat go DOWN???

I don't think so...

Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
You obviously didn't bother to read the OP or any of the rest of the thread before making your inane comments. These jobs used to be SOLIDLY middle-class and paid very good wages, wages that were earned by Americans. Now that the corporations have murdered the unions, slashed the wages and brought in hundreds of thousands of illegals to perform these jobs, have you seen the price of meat go DOWN???

I don't think so...
Consider the source.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,913,854 times
I am proud to say I worked in a beef packing plant in Minnesota for 19 years from 1963-1982. (2 years off for serving my country when drafted)

What was it like ?--- same as today! Hard work ( I loaded trucks ---beef lugger)
What was different then?--wages and benefits

We had dental insurance when dentists hadn't even heard about it yet. I worked hard and was rewarded well. Applicants came from many places to get the best paying job in that city of about 35,000--------all legals

When I left in 1982, the "handwriting was on the wall". The 2 packing plants (1800 head per day production) could no longer compete with the packing plants that sprung up in rural Iowa, rural Nebraska, rural Colorado, rural South Dakota.

Packing plants under the guise of moving closer to where the cattle were------were actually moving to areas that had low wages. However, those areas did not have the population to provide enough workers to fill those low wage jobs.

I feel the companies knew that the area they moved to would not have enough workers to fill those low wage jobs and would have to "recruit" outsiders to re-locate.

They should have known legal residents don't re-locate cuz they are attracted by low paying jobs.

IMHO----packing plants had the plan in place 30 + years ago to lower wages and benefits to the point where they felt justification in hiring ILLEGALS .

I was proud to have entered the meat packing profession in 1963 a week out of high school. For 19 years my union job provided myself (later my family) a good income with excellent benefits.

I am sad to see what it was becoming in the 80's and glad I left.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I am proud to say I worked in a beef packing plant in Minnesota for 19 years from 1963-1982. (2 years off for serving my country when drafted)

What was it like ?--- same as today! Hard work ( I loaded trucks ---beef lugger)

We had dental insurance when dentists hadn't even heard about it yet. I worked hard and was rewarded well. Applicants came from many places to get the best paying job in that city of about 35,000--------all legals

When I left in 1982, the "handwriting was on the wall". The 2 packing plants (1800 head per day production) could no longer compete with the packing plants that sprung up in rural Iowa, rural Nebraska, rural Colorado, rural South Dakota.

Packing plants under the guise of moving closer to where the cattle were------were actually moving to areas that had low wages. However, those areas did not have the population to provide enough workers to fill those low wage jobs.

I feel the companies knew that the area they moved to would not have enough workers to fill those low wage jobs and would have to "recruit" outsiders to re-locate.

They should have known legal residents don't re-locate cuz they are attracted by low paying jobs.

IMHO----packing plants had the plan in place 30 + years ago to lower wages and benefits to the point where they felt justification in hiring ILLEGALS .

I was proud to have entered the meat packing profession in 1963 a week out of high school. For 19 years my union job provided myself (later my family) a good income with excellent benefits.

Very eloquent post there, sir.

BTW: back in the so-called 'high wage' days; it seemed that many Americans lived better than today.

Admittedly; our houses were smaller, we did not have $30K SUV's (in today's dollars), etc. but all in all, us blue collars were definitely Middle Class.

I can go on and on but one catches my drift

Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,019,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Thank you.

I come from a family that worked the meat packing plants in Minnesota.
They were willing and able to take on this extremely HARD WORK proving the lie that some tell about Americans not wanting to do hard jobs so the "superior" immigrants take those jobs.....your post explains away THAT bloody LIE!
The truth is that illegal or otherwise these people will work for dirt, work 7 days a week and put up with any kind of abuse....is that what America is all about?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM

559 posts, read 1,180,816 times
Marmac is right meat packing used to be a great job or at least one that a man could provide for a family with.......there were also rules and regulations to protect both the animals and humans, with the take over of these jobs by illegals, all those rules and regulations went out the window. The two slaughter house workers who fed our kids downed animals did so so they wouldn't be fired. They also happened to he Hispanic by their last names, illegal? I don't know but more afraid of losing their jobs then contaminate our food sources what is an illegal willing to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or