U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukanara View Post
Lord the ignorance reigns with you people. Yes there where Mexicans guy the word itself was the original name of the so called aztecs they where actually the Mexica. Ya spanish surnames are euro names, so whats your point so is the name Martin Luther King and Tyrone Jenkins but are the people that own those names of euro extraction even if they most likely also have euro genetically in them?

Nobody ever said the first hispanics where not white. You only keep putting your foot in your mouth it seems you like to only talk. In fact many people reject the label Hispanic because of that implied fact that Hispanic means european and definitely not what we are otherwise everything we have had to go through we never would have.

Besides being such a Non Racist as you claim who gives you the right to decide what another group should want to identify as? who in the world do you think you are to do that? Your chauvanism and ignorance which you have grown into reaks from the centuries of racial white supremacy and subjugation of others.
And what does this have to do with illegal immigration? Bottom line: illegals are criminals and I want those losers gone------------whether they are 'brown' Mexicans or Nordic White Swedes.

As for the word 'Mexican'...........it is based on the Spanish word 'mejica' which means 'mixed'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukanara View Post
In fact many people reject the label Hispanic because of that implied fact that Hispanic means european and definitely not what we are otherwise everything we have had to go through we never would have.
Mestisos (hispanics) aren't indigenous either as they are the result of mixing of indigenous, African and European. Hispanics are the result of the Spanish conquest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Rio Rancho/Albuquerque, NM
4 posts, read 4,828 times
Reputation: 12
How about the 1907 speech by Roosevelt?
[CENTER][CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4] 'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'[/SIZE][/FONT] [/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Theodore Roosevelt 1907
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Rio Rancho/Albuquerque, NM
4 posts, read 4,828 times
Reputation: 12
I live in Albuq., NM, where racism runs high against white people. Latino's, or whatever you want to call them, are constantly screaming that they are the minority. The reality, however, is that the anglo people are the minority in this state. We have the Hispanic cultural center, the African-American cultural center and various others to which there are none for the anglo's. If the idea were to even be brought up there would be major uproar....where is the fairness in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy2469 View Post
I live in Albuq., NM, where racism runs high against white people. Latino's, or whatever you want to call them, are constantly screaming that they are the minority. The reality, however, is that the anglo people are the minority in this state. We have the Hispanic cultural center, the African-American cultural center and various others to which there are none for the anglo's. If the idea were to even be brought up there would be major uproar....where is the fairness in that?
Are you basing this discrimination b/c you don't have an anglo cultural center or personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Rio Rancho/Albuquerque, NM
4 posts, read 4,828 times
Reputation: 12
Solely on personal experiences. I don't care what cultural center we have or don't have. I don't visit any of them anyway. The point I was trying to make is that there are too many Illegal's and the like screaming discrimination and that they're the minority in a state which they are clearly the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Rio Rancho/Albuquerque, NM
4 posts, read 4,828 times
Reputation: 12
In addition, my oldest son is half Mexican and his daughter is 3/4. Her mother is from Chihuahua, Mexico. I am in no way racist in any way, shape or form. I'm just sick of hearing the discrimination card being played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
I fail to see how the OP or any of the entailing discussion has any relation to the link that was posted, which leads to this article:


Translator makes impact with community

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By NoneAdriana Perez
By Rebecca Haines
Carthage Press
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 04:55 PM CST

CARTHAGE, Mo. -
A major issue some parents are facing is a communication barrier with the schools, but one individual is providing that link.

Adriana Perez is a Spanish translator for the Carthage Junior and High Schools. She makes translations of documents parents need to see, and provides other communications for the schools.

“I think we’ve seen a lot of improvement,” Perez said.

Situations vary for each non-English speaking home. One student was telling his parents “F” stood for Fantastic in his grades. Perez said the parents had no way of knowing because their culture has never used letters for grades. Another situation Perez corrected was one of her first assignments as a translator.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the original source instead of copying the text

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2009 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I fail to see how the OP or any of the entailing discussion has any relation to the link that was posted, which leads to this article:


Translator makes impact with community

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By NoneAdriana Perez
By Rebecca Haines
Carthage Press
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 04:55 PM CST

CARTHAGE, Mo. -
A major issue some parents are facing is a communication barrier with the schools, but one individual is providing that link.

Adriana Perez is a Spanish translator for the Carthage Junior and High Schools. She makes translations of documents parents need to see, and provides other communications for the schools.

“I think we’ve seen a lot of improvement,” Perez said.

Situations vary for each non-English speaking home. One student was telling his parents “F” stood for Fantastic in his grades. Perez said the parents had no way of knowing because their culture has never used letters for grades. Another situation Perez corrected was one of her first assignments as a translator.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the original source instead of copying the text
If the parents can't speak English then they must be here illegally. I don't consider this to be a heart warming story under the circumstances.

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2009 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If the parents can't speak English then they must be here illegally.
You can't be serious with this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top