U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You can't be serious with this statement.
Quite serious. How else do you explain why neither the parents nor the kids under this scenario don't speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Quite serious. How else do you explain why neither the parents nor the kids under this scenario don't speak English.
There is unfortunately no need for the parents to do so.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Quote:
Well, it's probably safe to assume they are first generation immigrants. The fact that they don't speak English says absolutely nothing about their immigration status. I know plenty of legally documented immigrants who didn't speak English when they first came to the country, including my wife. Now I'm not saying that the parents in the article are legal, but it is completely unfair to make the assumption that they aren't simply based on their lack of proficiency in the English language. Your ignorance on this subject is pretty shocking.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well, it's probably safe to assume they are first generation immigrants. The fact that they don't speak English says absolutely nothing about their immigration status. I know plenty of legally documented immigrants who didn't speak English when they first came to the country, including my wife. Now I'm not saying that the parents in the article are legal, but it is completely unfair to make the assumption that they aren't simply based on their lack of proficiency in the English language. Your ignorance on this subject is pretty shocking.
No, your ignorance is what is shocking but then again it is more about denial with you rather than actual ignorance. How many legal immigrants do you think come here with their entire immediate families at the same time?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
No, your ignorance is what is shocking but then again it is more about denial with you rather than actual ignorance. How many legal immigrants do you think come here with their entire immediate families at the same time?
Not to mention, arriving in a van with 20 other “immigrants.”

Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, so let me get this straight...I'm in denial because I don't automatically assume that because somebody doesn't speak English than they must be an illegal immigrant?

I'm telling you right now, you can get into alot of trouble for making those assumptions, it's not a smart thing to do.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
If the parents can't speak English then they must be here illegally. I don't consider this to be a heart warming story under the circumstances.
Unless they are a refugee (and there aren't that many) it would appear that most likely they are here Illegally.

Check this out, San Diego just laid off 48 positions called "Liasons". Basically these people were English to Spanish interpreters for Illegal Aliens. Such wise use of tax dollars with a flat broke City.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, so let me get this straight...I'm in denial because I don't automatically assume that because somebody doesn't speak English than they must be an illegal immigrant?

I'm telling you right now, you can get into alot of trouble for making those assumptions, it's not a smart thing to do.
No, try to comprehend what I said, will you? I said if an ENTIRE family doesn't speak Engish it is highy suspect that they are all here illegally.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
No, try to comprehend what I said, will you? I said if an ENTIRE family doesn't speak Engish it is highy suspect that they are all here illegally.
This is what you said, direct quote:

Quote:
If the parents can't speak English then they must be here illegally.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
This is what you said, direct quote:
It was stated in the article already that a translater was being used in the schools which implies that the students were English learners. When you take into account that the parents didn't speak English either I only mentioned the parents at that time. When you take into account that the entire families didn't speak English it puts up a red flag that more than likely the entire family is here illegally. Of course there is also the possibility that these students were anchor babies and their illegal parents only spoke Spanish in the home and their anchors were learning English in school. Is that clear enough for you?

Last edited by chicagonut; 12-10-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or