U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,075,350 times
Reputation: 2049

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If he prospered he would have more than 5 employees .
*scratches head*

dictionary.com is a wonderful resource
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,166,992 times
Reputation: 138
Doesn't inflation have part in this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,075,350 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Doesn't inflation have part in this??
Yes. Underinflated tires are the primary cause of poor gas mileage. Pump up your tires for America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,166,992 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We have the highest minimum wage in the nation. $8.06 an hour!! Whoo hoo 30 years and $6 bucks!!! We are rolling right along now!!!!!!!!!
You do know that $1 back in the 60's is different from $1 today right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,166,992 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yes. Underinflated tires are the primary cause of poor gas mileage. Pump up your tires for America!
Thanks for your advice, I will actually be getting my first car in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,714,249 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
You do know that $1 back in the 60's is different from $1 today right?
Well the dollar has actually LOST value. So not much difference right now!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,965,670 times
Reputation: 5539
Pro, wages are being driven down and it should be painfully obvious. The roofers, the lawn mowers, the construction workers, the landscapers in this area of Texas are working for much less than the average American citizen. And, they are by and large illegal aliens.

They've driven wages down so low that the average American citizen can not do these jobs and make a living wage. And, it's not just those jobs (the ones people like to say "Americans won't do." There are workers in factories, in hotels, and for companies like AT&T that are doing the very same thing.

These were once "middle class" jobs, but no longer. It's simple logic; the government and the corporations want cheap, slave labor to compete with the cheap, slave labor in China and India. What they can't get done here cheaply, they outsource to India or ship the whole kit and kaboodle to China or Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:36 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,166,992 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Pro, wages are being driven down and it should be painfully obvious. The roofers, the lawn mowers, the construction workers, the landscapers in this area of Texas are working for much less than the average American citizen. And, they are by and large illegal aliens.

They've driven wages down so low that the average American citizen can not do these jobs and make a living wage. And, it's not just those jobs (the ones people like to say "Americans won't do." There are workers in factories, in hotels, and for companies like AT&T that are doing the very same thing.

These were once "middle class" jobs, but no longer. It's simple logic; the government and the corporations want cheap, slave labor to compete with the cheap, slave labor in China and India. What they can't get done here cheaply, they outsource to India or ship the whole kit and kaboodle to China or Mexico.
But I thought we liked cheap things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,965,670 times
Reputation: 5539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
But I thought we liked cheap things?
Have you ever heard of the high cost of low prices? Is that supposed to be funny? So there is not argument that wages are being driven down? I can answer a question with a question all day long as well. These kind of obfuscation tactics don't tickle my funny bone so I caution you as to your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,714,249 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
But I thought we liked cheap things?
Cheap doesn't mean better. You get what you pay for. I try to buy better made things that last, other wise I will just have to buy more when the cheap crap breaks. Same with food. I buy better meat, and veggies. I go to farmers markets rather than the big stores. But then again, most of the savings "that are passed to consumers" actually doesn't really exist, it just lines the pockets of the business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top