U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times

Advertisements

Great post. I too get sick of hearing the goof balls that blame everything on the war. As bad as some things have been handled with the war it is not the root of all evil. We could save billons by enforcing our immigration laws. And we could save lifes by keeping out those hardened criminals that exist among the illegal influx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 PM

9,616 posts, read 9,467,492 times
I don't think they are mutually exclusive. Imagine what we could do to improve America if we took it ALL back! No more illegals, no more troops overseas ANYWHERE, no more foreign aid to other countries. We are talking about TRILLIONS of dollars here to improve our own infrastructure and take care of our own people instead of everybody else's for a change.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
I don't think they are mutually exclusive. Imagine what we could do to improve America if we took it ALL back! No more illegals, no more troops overseas ANYWHERE, no more foreign aid to other countries. We are talking about TRILLIONS of dollars here to improve our own infrastructure and take care of our own people instead of everybody else's for a change.
The Government is already thinking of giving the tax payers $600 per single and $300 per child.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 PM

18 posts, read 33,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The law states everyone born in the united states is an american citizen and since we are all about following or enforcing the law, those your refer to as "anchor babies" are real Americans.
It DOES NOT give automatic citizenship to everyone born in the United States. There are certain exceptions, one being enemy forces in occupation of the United States. Personally, I would call having roughly at a miminum 10% of another nation's population living in your country illegally, with no allegiances to your country, an occupation.

It's an archaic law, put in place with one of the intentions being to protect slaves from being denied citizenship. It needs to be reformed, but it seems every attempt to do so dies on the floors of congress.

It states - "All persons born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States". Are illegal aliens subject to the jurisdiction of the United States? If not, then how can their children be? Immigrants are required to support the US constitution and swear allegiance to the United States as part of the process to become a citizen and therefore be subject to "the jusidiction thereof". Since illegal aliens have never done this, they are not subject to the "jurisdiction thereof".....so how can their kids be?

But sadly, this is not how our court system interprets that law and so we continue to award law breakers and encourage further illegal immigration.

In 1866, Senator Jacob Howard wrote, "This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors, or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons." Jacob Howard was also one of the authors of the 14th amendment. Sounds to me like he was attempting to clarify the intention of the new law, but unfortunately such wording never made it into the amendment.

This insanity will only continue until Congress has the courage to clarify the phrase "subject to the jurisdiction of" and deny citizenship to those that are not subject to the jurisdiction of the laws of the US. Clarifying that one little phrase and making it lawful would go a long ways towards curbing the issue of illegal immigration.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 PM

23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
The Government is already thinking of giving the tax payers $600 per single and $300 per child.
$600 is a drop in the bucket for most Americans. If the government really wanted to make a lasting investment they would give money to major cities to fight crime and to rebuild crumbling schools. But with how they treat their backyard of Washington DC why would they care about any other major city? Our cause would be greatly helped if we didnt have to pay all the $ to support illegals.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 9,467,492 times
Quote:
LOL.

You forgot to put in a smiley to show everyone you were joking.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I said it before and I will say it again... Americans are from Canada all the way down to Argentine. So by definition... Mexicans are REAL AMERICANS. Of course I am assuming you are referring to Mexicans.
Then what do you call a citizen of the USA?

Most people including myself refer to the above as 'Americans'-------no adjective in front.

A citizen of Mexico is a Mexican, Canada=Canadian, etc.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 PM

310 posts, read 257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
I go along with this!

And yeah, the OP's thread and the statistics are far more than the LEGAL, AMERICAN CITIZENS should EVER have to swallow!
It IS total BS!

It's total BS that ILLEGALS CAN have babies here that autimatically ARE citizens!

And actually, I personallly, don't even support much further LEGAL immigration here either, as I believe America's population has grown too much, too fast.......and THIS even AFTER America would or could DEPORT EVERY ILLEGAL and reduce the population by 20 MILLION!

Sending BILLIONS in foreign AID..........for WHAT?
WE NEED IT HERE!

IMO........Americans SHOULD be well beyond infuriated at this point and if you are NOT, or wish to defend those here illegally.......then YOU support law-breakers, injustice, increased crime, overpopulation and the absolute WASTE of a LOT of MONEY directly associated with it that sure as hell SHOULD go to far better causes and NEEDS for those HERE LEGALLY!
PUKE on policy and PUKE on those who just continue to allow it to happen!
Yep.......I'm at least as angry about it all as the OP......'ya think?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Then what do you call a citizen of the USA?

Most people including myself refer to the above as 'Americans'-------no adjective in front.

A citizen of Mexico is a Mexican, Canada=Canadian, etc.
Let the Nationality/Ethnicity war begin!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Let the Nationality/Ethnicity war begin!
No war here: I am an American, period--------like you!

I may be of Hungarian, etc. heritage but that means nothing in this discussion

Same analogy using Lawrie Sanchez; he is an Englishman, born and raised, of N Irish/Ecuadorian heritage.

Mr Sanchez is the Northern Ireland football (soccer) coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration