U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yeah - so? Those of us who live in Arizona already know this.

Your post only illustrates, once again, the reason why AZ residents are P/O'd
I wonder how recent that info is............why I wonder is our illegal immigrant population; most of whom are 'Hispanic' obviously---------have definitely becoming thinner on the ground since late last summer. That was when our Employer Sanction Law was passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 04:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,926,091 times
as we go along in the reduction of illegals.. by way of catching them just after sneaking over.. yes we will catch others besides mexican illegals. Others do sneak across the border as well, but the major population of those who sneak across are in fact mexicans.. trying to mix words again.. typical. And, if you didn't have such a loving affection for the illegals in your area.. you would want to know how many are abusing your tax dollars. Americans who do not have a hidden agenda.. DO CARE! They DO care that jobs are being taken away from.. they DO care that thier taxes are going off the charts just so the illegals can be given a FREE RIDE at American tax payers expense. But seeing your position on illegals.. we all can understand why you don't care how many there are!

Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM

608 posts, read 882,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
as we go along in the reduction of illegals.. by way of catching them just after sneaking over.. yes we will catch others besides mexican illegals. Others do sneak across the border as well, but the major population of those who sneak across are in fact mexicans.. trying to mix words again.. typical. And, if you didn't have such a loving affection for the illegals in your area.. you would want to know how many are abusing your tax dollars. Americans who do not have a hidden agenda.. DO CARE! They DO care that jobs are being taken away from.. they DO care that thier taxes are going off the charts just so the illegals can be given a FREE RIDE at American tax payers expense. But seeing your position on illegals.. we all can understand why you don't care how many there are!
I actually do care and would like to see controlled immigration but the reality is that the chances of that happening in my lifetime are pretty bleak and I am pretty young so... I have posted sometime in the past that if we were to realistically deport all we still have a labor gap of more than 8 million workers. No one has ever explained how we would address that without raising the cost of just about everything. So I pay a little now via taxes and deal with it. Now regarding "free loading" true there are those that take advantage. But we also have citizens taking advantage of welfare, unemployment, miss stating tax info for larger returns, etc. So in the 80s we complained about free loaders on welfare and now we complain about illegals taking advantage. Just as the issue of welfare has taken a backseat immigration will to in time as well. I believe immigration taking a backseat to other issues is more realistic than the US actually controlling immigration.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,969,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I think you meant zero illegals right? I keep seeing "illegal is illegal" why is it just Mexican illegal?
I agree. Although the disproportionate number of people in the U.S. illegally are from South of the Border, for the sake of argument can we please just limit it to the term "illegal?" I think inferring illegal aliens are solely from from Mexico does nothing to help the situation and tends to offend our good friends of Mexican descent on this forum.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,226,176 times
You know I would consider moving back to TX, NM or AZ if this invasion was ended. It really is a great part of the country. I lived in TX 20 years. Also lived in NM a short time and my parents lived in AZ for about 10 years. It's a shame to see what has happened to our great SW.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,969,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I actually do care and would like to see controlled immigration but the reality is that the chances of that happening in my lifetime are pretty bleak and I am pretty young so... I have posted sometime in the past that if we were to realistically deport all we still have a labor gap of more than 8 million workers. No one has ever explained how we would address that without raising the cost of just about everything. So I pay a little now via taxes and deal with it. Now regarding "free loading" true there are those that take advantage. But we also have citizens taking advantage of welfare, unemployment, miss stating tax info for larger returns, etc. So in the 80s we complained about free loaders on welfare and now we complain about illegals taking advantage. Just as the issue of welfare has taken a backseat immigration will to in time as well. I believe immigration taking a backseat to other issues is more realistic than the US actually controlling immigration.

Everyone seems to make things more difficult than they really are. I'm not a genius, but let me see - it has taken 15 or 20 years for this problem to grow to what it has. Who said anything about deporting overnight?

We simply enforce our current immigration laws, punish employers for hiring illegal aliens, and cut off any sort of lure such as benefits to those in the illegal alien community.

The result is that these people will mostly self-deport, and if it takes 15 or 20 years, so be it! At least the "trend" over these next 15-20 years will be moving in the right (downward) direction. Also, less and less people will be trying to come here and fill those jobs that "Americans won't do," which is a load of crap perpetrated by none other than our shameful "Dubya" Bush; the biggest mockery of a President than I have ever seen in my lifetime. And I voted for the guy the first time; something I will regret for the rest of my life.

Caving in and saying that "the world is changing" just because you say so is a cop-out and is not in line with the attitude that built this great country.

If we had said, "Nope, can't do it, that is too difficult" when people were moving West it would have never happened.

If we had said, "Going to the moon is too difficult; nobody has ever done that before" it wouldn't have happened (for this country).

There are countless other examples. I find it very interesting that most of the people in favor of illegal immigration and open borders promote these ideas of it being "it is too difficult."

I don't believe this is true; I believe those people with agendas WANT us to look at things as too difficult so their agendas can move forward with the least resistance.

WE are smarter than that.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 PM

Very well said.. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM

608 posts, read 882,124 times
Not sure what invasion you refer to. The issue of immigration exists in Houston but I don't get the impression it is as much an issue as in other parts of the state. Houston has gone through incredible expansion both in housing and infrastructure. Guess what... even companies bidding for city and county contracts hire illegals. They just can't seem to find people to build our highways, streets, roads and sewers. Not to mention the other industries hiring illegals or those with questionable documentation. We have some of the lowest cost of living among large cities so I am not complaining.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM

[quote=HoustonCynic;2625155]Not sure what invasion you refer to. The issue of immigration exists in Houston but I don't get the impression it is as much an issue as in other parts of the state. Houston has gone through incredible expansion both in housing and infrastructure. Guess what... even companies bidding for city and county contracts hire illegals. They just can't seem to find people to build our highways, streets, roads and sewers. Not to mention the other industries hiring illegals or those with questionable documentation. We have some of the lowest cost of living among large cities so I am not complaining

show us this proof.. as you seem to always want when someone else's imput doesn't agree with yours.. so where is your stats to back this all up?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
You know I would consider moving back to TX, NM or AZ if this invasion was ended. It really is a great part of the country. I lived in TX 20 years. Also lived in NM a short time and my parents lived in AZ for about 10 years. It's a shame to see what has happened to our great SW.
I am a Wash DC native who left there 30 years ago for the sunny climes of the West.......despite the illegal immigrant problem here-------Arizona is light years ahead of the DC area IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration