U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You are both right on the money!
Then; move your 'touchas' out here to be with is 'Rednecks' (of all races/ethnicities) who are true American!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I get back to topic at the bottom but I would like to first respond...

All anyone in this forum is doing is complaining and stating that they are not going to vote because nothing will change. I have only seen a select few ideas as to how to tackle the issue of immigration. The other 80% (maybe more) is nothing but grand standing and posting of video clips or articles that one could argue are more hate based than anything else. There are very few discussions of realistic actions to resolve this issue. Why do I come here? I am always curious about how all sides thing and reason. I too believe we need to secure our borders and control immigration so that we are not flooded to the point of high unemployment. However, our current unemployment doesn't support this action from our government as it is not considered a crisis level. Should we wait until crisis levels NO! And since our government is not moving as fast as many people would like, states are taking action. This is how change starts and this IS action although slow. But the US does not like quick action or change as it shocks the system. When we do encounter a shock, we pass laws, regulations and trade restrictions so as to stop future shocks form occurring. We manage panic when we don't have control.

Livable wages? Sorry but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Could you please qualify that? Do you mean above poverty line or do you mean the ability to buy cars, homes and no worries of medical bills? Understanding Poverty in America Now if we actually had millions of people unable to eat and suffering of malnutrition caused by illegal immigration then we have a crisis situation. But we don't.

This is the land of opportunity and we are free to make it what we want. If one does not like their current trade or they have been displaced due to off shoring there are retraining programs and many creative ways to return to school and train for something else. One could argue for those who are not able to change their trade due to age or other disability but I truly believe where there is a will there is a way and people will figure it out. Today this is no longer a pie in the sky ideal. I believe we as citizens of the US would rather complain about a lost job or salaries not increasing because it is easy. You ask "why should I have to retrain I had a good job"? Well it is easier to place blame than to actually be proactive. WE know what is happening with offshoring and that should have been a wake up call. Yet we prefer to sit back, compalin and place blame. Lets face it... the world around us changes never standing still. If we do not suck it up as a nation and evolve with the rest of the world or stay one step ahead then yes we deserve what we get.

Now back to topic. 1 in 10 in Arizona illegal? Seems very high but if this is true then I would be interested to see how things turn out with illegals supposedly self deporting. I would hope those from Arizona will report back on how service (restaurants, cleaning, hotels, fast food, etc.) or other industries with alleged high immigrant workers is affected by illegals leaving the state.
Let me put it this way: I live here in Arizona and I have seen NO negative change in my lifestyle at all.

Admittedly; I am not some 'Yuppie' who has a 3,000 sf McMansion to care for-------if said Yuppies cannot afford paying proper wages for hired help, maybe they need to sell their white elephants and come down (or is that up) to the real world.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:02 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,083,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Should i ask for your permission before i make a thread?
I asked first.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,926,944 times
yep.. showing the real truth by way of actual REAL news videos, REAL stats and the see-for-you-own-eyes reality would be upsetting to pro-illegals as yourself... having to be on the wrong side of the fence (so-to-speak) does have it's downsides!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:16 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,083,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Not sure what invasion you refer to. The issue of immigration exists in Houston but I don't get the impression it is as much an issue as in other parts of the state. Houston has gone through incredible expansion both in housing and infrastructure. Guess what... even companies bidding for city and county contracts hire illegals. They just can't seem to find people to build our highways, streets, roads and sewers. Not to mention the other industries hiring illegals or those with questionable documentation. We have some of the lowest cost of living among large cities so I am not complaining.
Whoe Nellie!

Are you claiming that, outside the Houston area ("...I don't get the impression it is as much an issue as in other parts of the state."), workers can readily be found, but inside Houston, a metropolis of over two million, workers cannot be found?

I'm pondering a response that won't result in a warning, but let's just say, "Pass the pie."

Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 AM

635 posts, read 1,562,771 times
Most of that 10% is in the critical housing construction industry, which employs many Americans who don't directly do the physical labor. Most legal immigrants are foreman or look for other jobs, because they have papers and can easily get a better job. This law could hurt Arizona businesses enormously, it might take a few months until the brunt of the storm comes. Which American is going to work in 100+ weather in the hot sun five months a year in Arizona with physically demanding labor? Or are they going to be more inclined to work in an air conditioned office with relaxation?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Most of that 10% is in the critical housing construction industry, which employs many Americans who don't directly do the physical labor. Most legal immigrants are foreman or look for other jobs, because they have papers and can easily get a better job. This law could hurt Arizona businesses enormously, it might take a few months until the brunt of the storm comes. Which American is going to work in 100+ weather in the hot sun five months a year in Arizona with physically demanding labor? Or are they going to be more inclined to work in an air conditioned office with relaxation?
Guess what?

I worked in an open shop with no effective cooling along the Colorado River in 115F+ heat for well over a year.

As for many of the workers dealing with the extreme heat in the direct sun; many crews start at about 4-5 AM and are done by lunch time.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 AM

635 posts, read 1,562,771 times
Yes I understand some workers will do these jobs. I was saying people will definently prefer less labor with less heat if they can avoid it. I use to do construction and once I found a good office job, I knew I wasn't going back to hard physical tiresome labor again.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,926,944 times
my Sister owns, operates, and works her construction Co. in Arkasas. it gets VERY hot and humid there..
They start at 4 am.. and usually done by 1pm. And guess what.. all are white and Black Americans!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,720,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Yes I understand some workers will do these jobs. I was saying people will definently prefer less labor with less heat if they can avoid it. I use to do construction and once I found a good office job, I knew I wasn't going back to hard physical tiresome labor again.
Well there are alot of people that love the hard work like my husband his friends and myself. Others cant cut it and will take the easy route out. we lived in AZ, we started at 4 am and worked till 1pm. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration