U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
At best, their parents are setting the example they can break the law and not be caught.

Worse...the mentality they learn is they don't have to follow a law if they don't agree with it. They don't agree that they can't just leave Mexico or El Salvador and move here and use fake SSNs and IDs.

So they don't agree with weed being illegal, they don't agree with laws banning illegal guns (I'm talking things like assault rifles not handguns)...or laws against arson, drug posession, rape, murder.....in some ways illegal immigration is a "Gateway" crime....pun intended!
Are you the spokesman for all children of illegal immigrants now? you can sure bet your A** that millions of Americans don't think weed should be illegal. There are a lot of Americans who think automatics assault rifles shouldn't be banned. If immigration is a gateway to crime, what about the immigrants from ellis island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
How did I turn out? I'm a child of recent immigrant parents as well. As George Lopez said, "I'm here ain't I"?
Were your parents illegal or LEGAL immigrants? There's a BIG difference.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Were your parents illegal or LEGAL immigrants? There's a BIG difference.
Dad- Came here at the age of 8 legally on some sort of visa along with his siblings. Moved back to Mexico, then came back to work and became a citizen.

Mother- Was brought here on an immigrant marriage visa. then took the citizenship test and passed.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
ProLogic, your parents are immigrants, but they're not ILLEGALS are they? There's a difference. My parents are legal immigrants and have no sympathy for the illegals.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
ProLogic, your parents are immigrants, but they're not ILLEGALS are they? There's a difference. My parents are legal immigrants and have no sympathy for the illegals.
Even though all of my fathers family here were brought with visas back in the 70's or born here, they have a pro-illegal attitude. I've gotten into it with my grandpa, I regret it. Picture 3 adults including my grandpa telling me I was racist and that I was wrong for wanting closed borders.

We're your parents citizens when you were born?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,156 times
Quote:
Dad- Came here at the age of 8 legally on some sort of visa along with his siblings. Moved back to Mexico, then came back to work and became a citizen.

Mother- Was brought here on an immigrant marriage visa. then took the citizenship test and passed.
Then your parents are citizens. They should be proud they did things the right way, and should feel angry at those who take the easy way instead of becoming citizens. And you are not an anchor baby, you are the child of citizens and are a citizen yourself, an American, and you should consider yourself such.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Then your parents are citizens. They should be proud they did things the right way, and should feel angry at those who take the easy way instead of becoming citizens. And you are not an anchor baby, you are the child of citizens and are a citizen yourself, an American, and you should consider yourself such.

I have since changed my thoughts on the illegals working here. On one hand you have cheap labor and getting things for much cheaper but then you have to think about the American business owner who's done everything correctly and have some other American business owner who contracts illegals and puts the first man out of business because his means of doing so was illegal. I know lifes not fair on many aspects, but this is an aspect that can be changed.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
My mom wasn't a citizen when she had me, she was a resident. On the other hand my dad was which makes me an American citizen-- never mind that anchor baby bull that ArizonaBound tried to pull.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Even though all of my fathers family here were brought with visas back in the 70's or born here, they have a pro-illegal attitude. I've gotten into it with my grandpa, I regret it. Picture 3 adults including my grandpa telling me I was racist and that I was wrong for wanting closed borders.

We're your parents citizens when you were born?
Does your grandfather believe that anyone in the world can just move in here illegally if they so choose? Say a billion Chinese or 90% of Haitians decide they'd prefer to live here?

If someone believes that only one "race" has the right to ignore the laws -- then that would be racist. If someone believes that the whole population of the world has a right to break the immigration laws of the USA then it wouldn't be racist but very impractical.

And there are people in the world who will work for less than Mexicans will -- and there are even people who would agree to be slaves -- not be paid at all if they could only be brought here.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Quote:
Are you the spokesman for all children of illegal immigrants now? you can sure bet your A** that millions of Americans don't think weed should be illegal. There are a lot of Americans who think automatics assault rifles shouldn't be banned. If immigration is a gateway to crime, what about the immigrants from ellis island?
A lot of people think weed should be legal, but most of them don't just go out and get high. A lot of people in Virginia are pressing their state government to allow students to bear arms on campus after the VT tragedy, but they are petitioning their state government, they are not simply arming themselves and bringing guns to campuses. Just because you disagree with a law doesn't mean you ignore it. I think this particular stopsign down the block should not be there but I still stop there. I disagree with laws saying I can't blast my music loud at night but I abide by them.

Imagine what the world will be like if people simply ignored any law they didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or