Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:52 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
I can understand that.

If you look at my posting history, I am not an illegal immigration supporter at all.

I just think that too many people paint illegals as villains. They just happen to be people who are stuck between a rock and a hard place. And if resources were unlimited, then I'd welcome them in. But that's not the reality.
The reality is they come here and parasite off the social system AND when here pump out even more babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 12:29 AM

624 posts, read 379,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most Americans do not call them the scum of the earth but feel free to use those few that do to state your case so you can gain sympathy for them. I've read this kind of nonsense before.
What's your point?

I'm not trying to gain sympathy for them. I'm trying to get people to not be prejudiced.

They gain nothing from sympathy. They still need to go.

But when our side acts treats them as less than human, it doesn't speak well for our character.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
How is it "ethically wrong" to paint them all with the same brush?

Do you think it's wrong to "vilify" and paint other criminals with a broad brush? Do you object to doing so with murderers? drug dealers? thieves? child abusers? Do we owe these criminals "pragmatic discussion"? If the answer to these questions posed to you is "no", then why the double standard for illegals?

Please. Once again, cue the violins. What desperation? These illegal aliens are not starving to death. Do you know why they come? Two reasons---1) they hear what minimum wage is here and think they will be rich; 2) word gets back to those back home as to how easy it is to game the system here and get away with being here illegally.

There is no need for "rational and pragmatic discussion" when it comes to illegals. What is needed is to make life so difficult for them that they leave on their own accord. When AZ got tough on illegals, they left the state in droves. Would you stay someplace if you couldn't find work or access unemployment or welfare benefits? In other words, enforce the law. Period.

I dont think you've comprehended my posts.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
They may not be the scum of the Earth but they still need to go. The border needs to be secured and every single illegal "good" or not needs to be deported. That applies to men, women, children, and the elderly. America needs to grow up and start making grown up decisions instead of allowing the tyranny of feelings and emotions rule the day.
And? Did I ever say they didn't need to go?

People here are so up in arms and upset at the notion of being asked to be decent human beings while enforcing the law.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
I dont think you've comprehended my posts.
I comprehended your posts just fine.

You, however, won't answer the questions I posed to you.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
So are illegal immigrants criminals? Yes. They are criminals in the fact that they broke our immigration laws.

But I don't put them in the same category as common criminals.
Actually, they are not criminals just because they are illegal immigrants. Being an illegal immigration is a civil violation and not a crime.

They did not commit a crime and as a result, we don't actively put them in jail.

However, they are a big problem and we need to keep them out. We should take all humane and practical efforts to deport as many as we can.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Illegal aliens are criminals.
Only those who have committed crimes are criminals. Most are not.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:23 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
What's your point?

I'm not trying to gain sympathy for them. I'm trying to get people to not be prejudiced.

They gain nothing from sympathy. They still need to go.

But when our side acts treats them as less than human, it doesn't speak well for our character.
The point is that you can't control the words of everyone and you are focusing on a minority of people who call illegal aliens the scum of the earth when the majority does not. They are treated as humans by our government but that shouldn't include escaping justice. What some people say about them is irrelevant. Let's stick to the real problems about this issue, shall we?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually, they are not criminals just because they are illegal immigrants. Being an illegal immigration is a civil violation and not a crime.

They did not commit a crime and as a result, we don't actively put them in jail.

However, they are a big problem and we need to keep them out. We should take all humane and practical efforts to deport as many as we can.
1st time an illegal alien's caught then deported, it's a misdemeanor. 2nd time that happens, it's def a felony.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:15 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump wants more than a wall to keep out immigrants living in the country illegally. He also wants to end "birthright citizenship" for their children, he said Sunday. And he would rescind Obama administration executive orders on immigration and toughen deportation, allowing in only "the good ones."

Trump: Deport children of immigrants living illegally in US

Things are starting to get "real", real fast. Even IF Trump does NOT win the repub nomination for POTUS, the winner needs to listen to what the American people want, NOT what illegal aliens want.
I think of this in terms of my dad.
He is over 65 years old, still working every day as a high school math teacher. He went to college on a ROTC scholarship, served in the Air Force during Vietnam. Continued as a military contractor including NATO work. He has lived in the US his entire life; the only Spanish he speaks is what he uses when teaching Spanish speaking students in his classes.
And... he is the child of an illegal alien. So, he would be deported in his late 60s to a country he has never lived in and has very little connection too? This is really what the American people want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration