Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 PM

83 posts, read 271,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Absolutely on target. GREAT analogy, in contrast to the silliness of the previous example. Well-crafted...."America is an AWFUL place, mean, xenophobic, and racist" is a charge made with montonous frequency. But we never get to hear, "meaner than 'who'?.....more xenophobic than 'where'?......racist, in comparison to what OTHER society?".....the answer is usually dead silence... As I've said many times, America may be tough on illegal Mexicans, but it treats them a lot better than Mexico does....
Webster's defines xenophobia as:

fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign.

You are afraid of the "strangers" stealing your jobs and, furthermore, you are afraid of this nation becoming predominately Spanish-speaking. You hate them for keeping their culture and being disrespectful to what you call "American values." If this is not xenophobia, what is it?

btw: I was referring to "you" in the collective sense, not necessarily you macmeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kweens View Post

fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign.

You are afraid of the "strangers" stealing your jobs and, furthermore, you are afraid of this nation becoming predominately Spanish-speaking. You hate them for keeping their culture and being disrespectful to what you call "American values." If this is not xenophobia, what is it?

btw: I was referring to "you" in the collective sense, not necessarily you macmeal.
I'm not 'afraid' of them stealing my job or speaking Spanish, I'm damned PISSED about it. There's no FEAR involved in it. And the term 'hate' can be used in the same sense that I 'hate' ALL criminals who lower the quality of my life.

There's no xenophobia there, pal, just RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:

How about "Anger of invasion". 20 million non US citizens taking jobs, living in the US as if they were still in their homeland and not even making an attempt to learn the language of this country is down right disrespectful. You are confusing anger and frustration with fear, trust me, NO ONE is afraid, and a "phobia" is a fear.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I'm not 'afraid' of them stealing my job or speaking Spanish, I'm damned PISSED about it. There's no FEAR involved in it. And the term 'hate' can be used in the same sense that I 'hate' ALL criminals who lower the quality of my life.

There's no xenophobia there, pal, just RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION.
LOL. Looks like we were on the same page.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
LOL. Looks like we were on the same page.
Yep, and so are about 100 million more of us...

Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Yep, and so are about 100 million more of us...
And; that list is growing..........

It is bad day for La Raza when even self described Bleeding Hearts take a hard right turn concerning illegal immigration.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioncre View Post
giving a better way of life..???? you probably have Moderator cut: personal attack and accepted it like you americans are thought, but somewhere else in the world people like you are treated so they can have a normal way of life. this is the country with most mental issuses. because america dosen t care and keeps fidding them all kind of garbage.

all YOU americans, YOU have the rascism in YOUR vains and the hate for the close ones, but all YOU are just some fake identity. YOU pretend YOU some good people and loving and caring and fare, but all this isn t true. YOU just want to make a nice beautiful picture for the other countries in the world to see, but YOU are just as fake as the smiles YOU put on YOUR face every day. i came legal to america for a better life ,what a mistake because YOUR life is very low ranked. YOU don t know what living life really is!!! i am not hispanic, but without them america's economy will go down. without the immigrants america will fall.
Well then get the F**k out!!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; that list is growing..........

It is bad day for La Raza when even self described Bleeding Hearts take a hard right turn concerning illegal immigration.
Are you referring to NCLR?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:

I understand that....I don't feel you're referring to ME personally doing all that "unkind stuff"--I realize you're talking of America, in general. My "beef" with you is not for "picking on" ME, it's for your "picking on" America. The faults you've enumerated in your post aren't American ---they're characteristic of ALL cultures.

*NO culture wants to see itself overwhelmed. Some gripe and moan about it, as WE do..while others react by shooting, anger, and mob violence. But NOBODY 'likes' it.....

*NOBODY wants "new blood" coming in and lowering the wage-scale---whether it's from another country, another state, or just down the street. Labor strife has ALWAYS been a sure path to discord and violence...

*NO nation on earth wants to "change" its language, or its culture, to accomodate newcomers. Some places DO, because the 'newcomers' bring in huge amounts of tourist dollars. But NOBODY 'likes' it, and when the newcomers bring in not 'dollars', but poverty, overloaded infrastructure, and lowered wages, it gets REALLY unpopular with the 'man in the street"....

*No nation on EARTH wants folks moving in who are seen as "disrespecting the local culture's values". Many people have endured this type of thing, but NORMALLY it starts wars. NOBODY just sits by, smiles, and "likes" it....nowhere on Earth !..

Sounds to ME like your own post shows that the US is no different from any OTHER society in wanting to 'protect' itself--it's just a lot less VIOLENT about resisting 'changes' than MOST nations are.

Change is ALWAYS painful and disruptive. Change that is ALSO accompanied by deteriorating standards of living, and erosion of the middle class, is VERY painful---and VERY disruptive. Lets hope that's ALL it is......and not like in MOST of the world, where it would be more than 'painful', it would be downright VIOLENT...

Old 02-08-2008, 02:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
WHO THE HELL SPEAKS GERMAN??!!
In California, the GOVERNOR does, among others.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration