U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
How about we take a battallion or two of battle-hardened Marines, fresh from Iraq / Afghanistan, confine them to a base somewhere in the Southwestern US---no off-base passes, no cold beer , no hot women---get them good and PO'd. Now let them invade Mexico and we take the country as a spoil of war. The Mexicans are now all Americans (what they want in the first place), all the corporations that ran to Mexico during NAFTA are back on American soil, paying American taxes, we carve the country up into 6 or 8 more states, more tourist dollars, more oil and other natural resources, the southern border has been shrunk immensly, no more illegal immigration.

Although I posted this as pure sarcasm, could it work?
Nuevo Leon through Baja California (both halves) may very well devolve to the USA--------apparently; those relatively wealthy Mexicans are becoming quite pissed at subsidizing the poorer southern Mx states as in Chiapas, Oaxaca, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
 
7 posts, read 13,558 times
Reputation: 12
MacMeal, I understand what you are trying to say, and yes our nation has come a long way, and yes, excluding our relatively few wars in our brief history (compared to Europe) we have a peaceful existence unfortunately the number of wars will likely increase as our foreign policy decreases. In Kant's perpetual peace, he says that for people to follow the moral code (to act as though everyone would follow suit, in a simple explaination of moral code.) People have to not act out of physical want, but out of morality. Note, that morality is not the opposite of want, only when the two contradict morality "wins". People have to follow the moral code not because of the consequunces of the actions, but out of reverence of the moral code. Hope is what drives this process. That is why I say we can do better, if we have no hope then nothing will ever change. In your example of temperature, if it is 50 degrees, but else where it is -5 degrees, you still know that it is possible for it to be warmer, however you don't know how it would feel, having never experience it. The same is true for countries, you can see that you are better than other countries but you can still make it better. It is not good enough to be the best, you can always be better, that we why we have amendments, to allow for the betterment of our country. The hope is what we need to have, hope to make the world better.

As to King of Kweens question, in my view the establishment should be prosecuted, along with the vet. As both broke the law, and therefore both should be punished, whether people consider it a "good" or "bad" act. To "punish one, but not the other would be clearly bias, and show that our nation changes its laws based on the situation. You may say the vet doesn't deserve it, but he should be under the jurisdiction of the law, too, just as any other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
How about we take a battallion or two of battle-hardened Marines, fresh from Iraq / Afghanistan, confine them to a base somewhere in the Southwestern US---no off-base passes, no cold beer , no hot women---get them good and PO'd. Now let them invade Mexico and we take the country as a spoil of war. The Mexicans are now all Americans (what they want in the first place), all the corporations that ran to Mexico during NAFTA are back on American soil, paying American taxes, we carve the country up into 6 or 8 more states, more tourist dollars, more oil and other natural resources, the southern border has been shrunk immensly, no more illegal immigration.

Although I posted this as pure sarcasm, could it work?
Actually, some years ago, somebody "half seriously" proposed that we actually approach the Mexican government and make them an offer...we "write off" their tremendous financial debt to the U.S., and in return, they "give" us Baja California.

Baja has traditionally been an isolated, neglected part of Mexico anyway. (Old timers used to not say, "yo soy Mexicano", they'd say "yo soy de Baja"). For centuries, it was almost a separate country, it was so remote. And most of its 'relations' were with California, not the Mexican mainland.

This "silly" idea got nowhere..the Mexican government wasn't interested., nor were the Americans. Oddly, many of the objections came from right here in Southern Calif. Many people hated the thought of Baja losing its status as a remote frontier. They were sure that the Americans, if we ever 'got' it, would turn it into one big strip mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealariser View Post
Therefore, one can conclude that the primary reason there is such dislike for Mexicans, is that they are a scapegoat someone we can blame our problems on, when we could fix these problems.
I oppose illegal immigration. I oppose it on principle; that being, the sovereignty of a self-governing people. I also oppose it because, quite simply, it's dishonest. It's a scam.

I don't dislike Mexicans.

I blame most of my problems on myself.

Therefore, I can conclude that your conclusion is inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 10:33 AM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I oppose illegal immigration. I oppose it on principle; that being, the sovereignty of a self-governing people. I also oppose it because, quite simply, it's dishonest. It's a scam.

I don't dislike Mexicans.

I blame most of my problems on myself.

Therefore, I can conclude that your conclusion is inaccurate.
I disagree, it really isn't about you. It's about the national attitude towards Mexicans and their stereotypical "illegal immigrant looks". Since we are the majority of illegals, the dirt is thrown on us the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 AM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I disagree, it really isn't about you. It's about the national attitude towards Mexicans and their stereotypical "illegal immigrant looks". Since we are the majority of illegals, the dirt is thrown on us the most.
You are admitting to being illegal, then go back to Mexico now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I disagree, it really isn't about you. It's about the national attitude towards Mexicans and their stereotypical "illegal immigrant looks". Since we are the majority of illegals, the dirt is thrown on us the most.
You disagree with what? Are you claiming I lied about my opinions?

The "national attitude" isn't an independent entity. It is a collection of opinions such as the one I gave. Is my opinion not part of the "national attitude?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
You are admitting to being illegal, then go back to Mexico now.
You're silly, by "we" I think he meant Mexicans...calm down please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 AM
 
65 posts, read 108,587 times
Reputation: 22
if it quacks like a duck, and if it walks like a duck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 705,921 times
Reputation: 104
ooorah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no other flag will ever fly over old glory!!!!!!!!!!!!
good for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top