Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the immigration deal?
I'm all for it, see explanation below 4 10.53%
I see problems down the road, see explanation below 3 7.89%
It's better than illegal status, see explanation below 2 5.26%
It sucks, see explanation below 29 76.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times

Advertisements

I've been following the news on this immigration deal.

I guess the biggest peeve I have with everyone flocking to America is the fact that WE are expected to change. I was naive in my thinking that there was some type of protocol for immigration to our county and for becomming an American citizen.

One thing was our language. Assumed that English was our national language and all who came here would learn it. Now, our schools, hospitals, police force etc, are learning Spanish. Walk into any grocer and look at the labels on products, they are printed in English and Spanish.

What is the deal and how will this change our communities? Our communities surrounding us are just now seeing the influx of immigrants.

Am I missing something everyone else sees, am I being to critical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
I voted it sucks! No explanation needed, The United States has just dropped their pants and bend over.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Many of you are voting, thank you very much for that. And the majority of you are in agreement with one another.

To understand differing views, we need to see explanations, so I am asking, please post your opinion on how/why you voted. This affects us all, from coast to coast.

thank you

Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 PM

243 posts, read 887,427 times
Talking Immagration

My husband is an immagrant from Germany. When he came here he learned the language and became a citizen as soon as he qualified. Why is it the spanish peoples feel they are special and don't have to conform with the American way. When in Rome!!!!!!!! This bill is wrong!!!! We need to know who is here. Not to mention the CRIME they bring!!!!!!!!!!! and, they do bring it. I'm all for building a wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes this country was founded on immagration and we are a mix, but the Europeans want to learn and that makes a difference.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
The town I live in is already turing into a little Mexico city. I can't even walk to the grocery store without being heckled at.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:08 PM

As I am shopping in my local Wal-Mart, I see how my community is changing.

Yes by the different language on labeling, but also:

Mexican people are moving in our area, and when they shop, they usually do it in groups. You have two to four people gathered in isles speaking spanish and as you push your cart down the isle, they start talking and you have no idea what they are saying, but know they are talking about you because they keep looking at you and laughing.

Or, after you have finished shopping, and are putting your bags into your car, here comes a car driving by really slow, loud music and then they shout at you in Spanish. It is scary.

Many people in our community are elderly, I worry about crime, and the local paper lists crimes for the previous week and many mexican people are always listed.

My son was working in a large furniture factory, he said that 90% of his co-workers were mexican, all speaking spanish and most were illegal. That really makes me mad. We have lost a lot of furniture jobs to China and many people are without work because of this. But, they cannot go get a job at this large factory because it is full of illegal Mexicans. It makes me not want to suppport this company at all.

My youngest son had a Mexican girl in his class that could not speak a bit of English, they had to put a Spanish speaking aide in this class for her. Now this really gets me because they are taking MY tax money to do this with. Our school system is so broke that WE have to supplement the classes that our children are in with supplies.

I am angry, very angry that our government cares so little with the Average and Small American person that they just override any of our objections and give these people citizenship.

I have no problem with legal immigration. If someone from another country wants to come to our country the legal way, I will help them. What I dislike is after they come here, they insist on being labeled differently, example (not picking on anyone, just using examples) Asian-American; African-American; Japaneese-American, Latin-American, Mexican-American.

If their country is bad enough for them to want to come to our country and start over, then embrace America as their home and drop the prefix, just become American.

Sorry, I felt the need to vent a bit.

thank you everyone who is taking time to voice your opinions.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I voted it sucks! No explanation needed, The United States has just dropped their pants and bend over.
I agree with her 1000%!!! Enough said...

Old 05-18-2007, 04:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
I voted. It sucks!

California = Northern Mexico

Senate Shamesty bill cost to American taxpayers? 3.2 TRILLION DOLLARS! (Yes, I said, TRILLION)
Illegal alien lack of remorse? Priceless.

Any questions?

Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Call me a B***h but I speak English, I live in the US...if I go into a business and someone can't speak English to me, I make a point of saying I have a problem with that...I have no patience for that.

I would never go to someone elses country and expect them to change their ways to meet my needs...they shouldn't do it too us.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I've been following the news on this immigration deal.

I guess the biggest peeve I have with everyone flocking to America is the fact that WE are expected to change. I was naive in my thinking that there was some type of protocol for immigration to our county and for becomming an American citizen.

One thing was our language. Assumed that English was our national language and all who came here would learn it. Now, our schools, hospitals, police force etc, are learning Spanish. Walk into any grocer and look at the labels on products, they are printed in English and Spanish.

What is the deal and how will this change our communities? Our communities surrounding us are just now seeing the influx of immigrants.

Am I missing something everyone else sees, am I being to critical?
Illegals are here because we let them come here. We saw the same thing after Reagan's amnesty. The Bush Amnesty will attract even more illegals (just like Reagan's did) and it will be a huge burden on our local communities.

In effect, what we don't voluntarily agree to give these criminals, they will take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration