Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times

Advertisements

Yes, he should be deported, but I also think there's more to the story. You said he's an acquaintance not friend or close friend. What you're telling us may be exactly as it was told to you, but he is leaving out some gaps or sanitizing the details to make his case look more innocent than it really is.

Last edited by Kaphawoman; 09-15-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 04:55 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I know he has been a good friend, productive worker for 10 years according to my longtime friends. I know he has been in this country for 35 years, working, paying taxes, making a life. He is a father of a high school American, A student. I know he was arrested for dui, his first arrest, which was a very bad decision. Anyone want to say they never drove drunk?

I think there are some real hard asses here.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-15-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 05:08 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Anyone want to say they never drove drunk?

Are you serious in asking that question? No, I NEVER drove drunk and never will. Period.

"Hard asses"? Why? Because we believe in obeying the laws?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Are you serious in asking that question? No, I NEVER drove drunk and never will. Period.

"Hard asses"? Why? Because we believe in obeying the laws?
I have.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
He doesn't speak Spanish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Story seems to have a few holes.
He came to the US at age 9 (basically a tween) but speaks no Spanish? Then how does he/did communicate with his father? You don't forget how to speak a language just like that.

Sounds to me like he knew full well he was here illegally. I once heard it's common for Mexicans/Mexican-Americans in the Southwest to refuse to speak Spanish so as to not be mistaken for an illegal immigrant.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:17 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
I know he has been a good friend, productive worker for 10 years according to my longtime friends. I know he has been in this country for 35 years, working, paying taxes, making a life. He is a father of a high school American, A student. I know he was arrested for dui, his first arrest, which was a very bad decision. Anyone want to say they never drove drunk?

So he is working a job that American could have had? Yes, there are Americans who have driven drunk but they can't be deported. Illegal aliens can be and should be.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:31 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
An acquaintance, let's call him Felipe, has been in America for 35 years. His father immigrated with him when he was 9. He raised a family, worked, paid his taxes, but never got full paperwork, since he was 9, to prove he is a citizen. His dad became a naturalized citizen 19 years ago.

Felipe was arrested for dui last week. He has no prior record. After the arrest he finds out he has no legal documents, even after being here for 35 years. He doesn't speak Spanish. Has no family in Mexico. He has a son he raises, an American citizen 15 years old, because the former wife died two years ago.

He was drunk when arrested, his dad had died the day before his arrest.

Do you think he should he be deported?
How did he converse with his Parents? The chance of him not knowing Spanish? Zero.

What was he doing for 9 years, using sign language? More lies. No one spends 10 plus years listening, speaking to, a language to forget it. Especially with so many Spanish speakers here.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 09-15-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 05:32 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:

The question should be: Has anyone here ever broken the law and gotten off scott free because of a compelling sob story?

I highly doubt it.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
So much doesn't add up. Felipe has been here illegally for 35 years. The 1986 amnesty was 29 years ago. Since that amnesty, there have been several stealth amnesties. Why wasn't he amnestied at some point?

He didn't find out that he had no legal documents until he was arrested? Questions---How did he get a SSN? How did he get a drivers license?

I find it hard to believe that he didn't discover that he was an illegal alien until he got arrested. Even the odious, vile illegal alien, Jose Antonio Vargas, discovered that he was an illegal when he came of age.

Either you don't have the full story or you are withholding parts of it. Hmmm...

And, yes, he needs to be deported. He is here illegally and never made any effort to get in on one of the amnesties.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 PM

218 posts, read 214,475 times
Quote:
An acquaintance, let's call him Felipe, has been in America for 35 years. His father immigrated with him when he was 9. He raised a family, worked, paid his taxes, but never got full paperwork, since he was 9, to prove he is a citizen. His dad became a naturalized citizen 19 years ago.

Felipe was arrested for dui last week. He has no prior record. After the arrest he finds out he has no legal documents, even after being here for 35 years. He doesn't speak Spanish. Has no family in Mexico. He has a son he raises, an American citizen 15 years old, because the former wife died two years ago.

He was drunk when arrested, his dad had died the day before his arrest.

Do you think he should he be deported?
NO, not even a little bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration