U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 PM

6,540 posts, read 11,616,970 times

Advertisements

I see a big problem in the very fact that this subforum exists. I get the feeling its mainly to discourage talk about illegal immigration in other threads even though its relevent to other topics.

For example a lot of threads that were moved here dealt with specific communities, cities, and states and their illegal alien problems. This problem and its intensity is unqiue to every locale and is a legitimate discussion. Its legitimate to inquire whether a particular area has an illegal alien problem, its no different from saying if theres a drugs problem or a pollution problem or a crime problem. Talking about illegals as a concern in Maryland, for example, should stay on the Maryland forum.

In addition, in the other poltiics it should be okay to post about which candidate is toughest on illegals, or to criticize or praise a candidate for his/her views on the immigration problem. I posted on the NYC thread asking people about GIuliani's record about illegals when he was mayor and that thread got moved here. That was specifically about New York City and what mayor Giuliani did regarding the illegals during his term in office there. Thoguh now I think Romney is the toughest one of illegals. This is the tiebreaker for me between Romney, McCain, and Giuliani. Also, McCain's personal attacks on Romney are starting to turn me off.

I think the existance of this sub-folder really discourages debate on the issue. If I plan to move to a new state, its legitimate to ask which communities have less of an illegal problem and when I discourage people to move to a certain area, illegal immigration should definitely be part of the reason. The problems caused by illegals are part of the way of life in many communities. One cannot in good faith explain why crime and poverty has increased in Gaithersburg, Maryland, for example without pointing out the massive, and I mean MASSIVE influx of illegals and anchor babies into the city, or discuss the poor conditions of schools and hospitals in Greenbelt, Maryland without mentioning what illegals are doing to contribute to these problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,184 times
Good question. I see from your profile you have spent most of your time in the Maryland forum.
I think the general consensus is that if every state thread and every city thread started a immigration thread than before long the entire forum would be taken over with anti immigration threads.

I dont know that for a fact, just makeing an observation

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
McCain also disgusts me------and, I live in Arizona.

This I will say though: barring some loser 'judge' throwing out our Employer Sanctions Law; the effects are already terrifying the illegal immigrants to the point they are bugging out as we speak.

Landlords who rent to illegals are blubbering about having tenants skip out, etc.

Oh well.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,148 times
I see your point. I think they have a seperate forum to try and keep all topics from turning to topics about illegal aliens. You can still talk about Maryland immigration issues, you just have to do it here.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 AM

7,070 posts, read 10,810,797 times
Maybe there is some way we could have separate permanent threads where we could discuss the problem by state?

Illegal immigration in Maryland...

Illegal immigration in Virginia...

I think there is already some for certain states.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,899,825 times
I posted yesterday on the South Dakota thread about foreign investors who are granted permanent residency by investing in huge dairy farms and packing plants in South Dakota. (huge dairy farms and packing plants have a long history of employing illegals)

So far they have allowed my post to remain in the South Dakota thread,but that is probably because the discussion hasn't become heated.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,921,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I posted yesterday on the South Dakota thread about foreign investors who are granted permanent residency by investing in huge dairy farms and packing plants in South Dakota. (huge dairy farms and packing plants have a long history of employing illegals)

So far they have allowed my post to remain in the South Dakota thread,but that is probably because the discussion hasn't become heated.
well that alone in itself should pose some health risk issues.. illegals from south of the border do not have , or were not brought up with same mindset when it comes to cleanliness.. I am NOT trying to be rude.. so don't take it that way.. but it has been shown many many times over the years that illegals from south of the border lack cleanliness. Thier standards, and thier concern for cleanliness is very low. So I would be very concerned when it comes to illegals working in a place where health issues could be at risk simply by the mindset of illegals. If you notice.. mexico still has a huge problem regarding health/cleanliness issues even today.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 AM

5,092 posts, read 9,601,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post

I think the existance of this sub-folder really discourages debate on the issue.
Ya think?

Even look at the name choice. The real topic is ILLEGAL immigration -- but it is dubbed simply "immigration." Who and why would intentionally choose a name that mis-describes the topic? Does this section cover how to get proper Visa entry from Denmark? Hardly.

There is a corporate class that is benefiting hugely from from exploiting ILLEGAL immigrants. It even exists in Real Estate. This is essentially a Real Estate site. How many of the bottom end to middle properties would go totally worthless (and further collapse the market) if 20 million ILLEGALS were not here as occupants, and even many buyers?

It is not by accident. And these folks could not be exploited by the business class if they were not ILLEGAL. Like the old South, this is a corrupt system that serves the upper end. Even then they did not call slavery by its name -- they called it a "peculiar institution." So our business corporate folks wish to drop the ILLEGAL portion are just doing marketing terms, like the old plantations.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Ya think?

Even look at the name choice. The real topic is ILLEGAL immigration -- but it is dubbed simply "immigration." Who and why would intentionally choose a name that mis-describes the topic? Does this section cover how to get proper Visa entry from Denmark? Hardly.

There is a corporate class that is benefiting hugely from from exploiting ILLEGAL immigrants. It even exists in Real Estate. This is essentially a Real Estate site. How many of the bottom end to middle properties would go totally worthless (and further collapse the market) if 20 million ILLEGALS were not here as occupants, and even many buyers?

It is not by accident. And these folks could not be exploited by the business class if they were not ILLEGAL. Like the old South, this is a corrupt system that serves the upper end. Even then they did not call slavery by its name -- they called it a "peculiar institution." So our business corporate folks wish to drop the ILLEGAL portion are just doing marketing terms, like the old plantations.
This 'stole' my OWN point. It's a 'open secret' that the interest of the American public in "immigraton" is virtually nil. Probably not ONE PERCENT of the posts on this forum address the problems people have with immigration. This forum is about ILLEGAL immigration, which is,as I've said MANY times, a very simple, straightforward problem that has been made enormously more complex by the shameless playing of the 'race card', by both pro- and anti-illegals alike.
The very use of the word "immigrant" is, in ITSELF, an attempt to 'regularize' the situation..it's really a euphemism. Illegal "immigrants" are really no more "immigrants",than shoplifters are "shoppers", or "squatters" are "renters". Illegal immigrants are trespassers. But that term has connotations of 'guilt'. Far more forgiving to address the folks as "immigrants"---after all, who can get mad at an immigrant?....some folks will even insist we're ALL immigrants !! (Not true at ALL, but it does SOUND nice)...

Anyone up for some irony? Here's some: The IRONY is that, if these "illegals" ever DID get their 'wish', and become LEGAL, they'd instantly be entitled to many rights, privileges, and protections. This would severely REDUCE their appeal to unscrupulous employers..after all, who wants to hire workers who have rights, privileges, and protections?
If huge numbers of "illegals" ever become legal, they may find themselves losing their jobs to a NEW 'batch' of folks, who are STILL illegal, and willing to work cheaper than the "recently illegal, now legal" group....

Last edited by macmeal; 01-29-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Just rename this forum to illegal immigration, it may not be PC, but is otherwise misleading leaving it as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration