U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I am sorry and shocked to hear about this. I sure hope this person was fired and deported.

ArizonaBear, definitely true about assimilation. To a certain extent, my family follows a few Chinese American traditions but I don't wear my ethnicity on my sleeve and culturally I'm a lot more American. Where I work they recently hired two new girls who are Salvadoran and Colombian. The Salvaodran got mad at me for saying that John McCain is not conservative enough b/c he feels sorry for illegals. She told me that illegals deserve to get drivers licenses, that they deserve to get welfare and in-state tuition at state universities. She's like some members of her family are illegal, so what. She was born in California but still talks with a Spanish accent. Her boyfriend is an African American who is proudly NOT integrated, and says flat out that he hates the United States and that Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas, and Condi Rice and our former black Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele, an honorable patriot who stands up against illegal immigration, terrorism, and supports national seucrity, are all "uncle Toms".

Both her and the Colombian girl think I'm weird when we were talking about music and all the stuff I like is country. THey're like you're not American why do you listen to country. They automatically assume that to be a "good" minority and "True to your culture" you must reject all Americanization and assimilation. So many Mexicans, Central Americans, Iranians, and Indians I know are afraid of "acting white" or better yet "Acting American". Like they would say to me how can you pop your collar, how can you go to Abercrombie, etc etc. Or listen to any music outside foreign stuff and hip hop.

The joke's on them. I have a friend from El Salvador who was an international student who was very fluent in English and educated. His Webshots page had a lot of pictures from his country and he showed us the places where his old buddies would hang out. You're kind of right about the racial thing...most people in the pics were European looking though there are also many mixed people but few if any completely indigenous people. It was a middle-upper class part of their capital city San Salvador and their mall looked straight out of American suburbia complete with Abercrombie and even I think Bennigans and TGI Fridays. They are proud of speaking good English because its a status symbol in much of the rest of the world. A lot of immigrants here purposely reject assimilation while people around the world are trying to emulate America.

Very ironic that this guy straight from his country is more at home with American culture (and he is proud to be Salvadoran too and will return to his country when he finishes school) than any of the illegal migrants I run into every day or their descendents. And he even knows who Rascal Flatts are.
Yep:

My father is an immigrant from Hungary and to his credit is pretty much Americanized.....

That stated: I was at a church function 3 years ago with some Romanians who were ethnic 'Hungarians' from the Transylvania section of that country.

The three of them took some offence to me due to my not knowing their language whereupon those buttheads started jabbering away in Hungarian-------in front of me.

Needless to say: if I had an credible proof that they were here illegally, I would have called ICE on them and had them picked up.

Side note: of the three, one looked like a 'sandbar fish' AKA skinny blue eyed blonde (pre boob job), the second looked like a Mestizo Hispanic (male) and the third resembled an Italian (female). Whereas I look a tad like Thor, the Norse god of war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Not sure if our government has given up on the process which was used to get/become a U.S. citizen... maybe it's still the same, not sure... BUT you use to HAVE to learn English, know American history, and Pledge allegiance to America! So if it is still the same now, and some one you meet, does not know any english.. they could be either here on a temporary visa or here illegally. A few years back a did see a news piece on tv.. where about 30 people were becoming U.S. citizens and they were swearing in by way of the pledge of Allegiance.. and ALL were speaking English. calderon speaks English, but not an American.. He was educated in America though.. ain't that kind of funny? Educated in America, to rule mexico. many mexicans come and get educated in America.. even ex-prez fox. I wonder why????
We just can't help it, with all of the ones in our country who ARE illegal.. you just can not help it when coming across those who don't speak ANY English, you assume they are here illegally automatically.. can't be helped, ONLY because we all know there IS millions who ARE here illegally. If there WAS very very few entering illegally.. then I could see no merit in assuming they were here illegally. There is a good reason why we automatically assume someone is here illegally.. there is merit in that assumption!
Yes, they MUST speak English to take the citizenship test. However, there are scams going on where some tests are given in Spanish! Not in any other language, mind you - only for those who speak Spanish.

So, we can't even assume that those who are naturalized speak English!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or