U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 12:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 883,469 times

Advertisements

UnFNBelievable. Just what the US needs - bringing back illegals who had serious mental disabilities and give them a second chance to stay in the US.

Quote:
Hundreds of mentally disabled immigrant detainees deported after representing themselves in immigration court may return to the United States for a second chance to contest their expulsion, a judge ruled Friday.
U.S. District Court Judge Dolly M. Gee approved a class-action lawsuit settlement, clearing the way for immigrants with "serious mental disabilities" to request their cases be reopened. If approved, the United States will pay for transportation in some cases.
Judge: Mentally disabled immigrants may return to U.S., reopen deportation cases - UPI.com

If they had serious mental disabilities, why were they allowed to represent themselves in the first place? And what changes if they have a lawyer to represent them? They would still have the mental disabilities and should be deported, or is this just an exercise at the taxpayers expense to make sure that they had their "rights" protected? I pray that the justice system doesn't believe that having serious mental disabilities is reason enough to allow them to remain in the US and release them into society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 04:36 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
I'm very confused about what kind of people they are talking about. "Mental disabilities" isn't really any category that I know of. I have a son with developmental disabilities but someone like him really could not have represented themselves in court or crossed the border unassisted. And, then there is the "mentally ill" and I don't know why we would bring them back because we don't adequately fund our own and they end up homeless.

So there are funding shortages for people of ALL disabilities in the US and they are constantly being cut to help fund the anchor babies since they all draw from Medicaid. We certainly don't have space for more and I am guessing that although no one can convince the government to increase funding for our citizens that some pro-illegal group will have these people stepping to the front of the line, rolling out the red carpet and asking "What do you need to make your lives better."

Frankly, how would they even have determined if these people were disabled or ill since it takes at a minimum a psychological exam and generally other medical records to make such a determination. As we have seen in the past, our citizens who are mentally disabled go to jail anyway when they commit a crime!!!

Old 09-26-2015, 04:40 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
UnFNBelievable. Just what the US needs - bringing back illegals who had serious mental disabilities and give them a second chance to stay in the US.

Judge: Mentally disabled immigrants may return to U.S., reopen deportation cases - UPI.com

If they had serious mental disabilities, why were they allowed to represent themselves in the first place? And what changes if they have a lawyer to represent them? They would still have the mental disabilities and should be deported, or is this just an exercise at the taxpayers expense to make sure that they had their "rights" protected? I pray that the justice system doesn't believe that having serious mental disabilities is reason enough to allow them to remain in the US and release them into society.
The answer is NO! We have lots of Americans with metal problems already.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:20 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Tsk, tsk. They might as well fly over (at our expense, natch) Mexico's criminals. That is about the only group that hasn't been given a pass by the U.S.

Where are they going to be housed? Who is paying for their care? As has been said above, we have so many suffering people (including veterans) already who aren't getting much care. Reagan closed down California's mental facilities (except for Napa) back in the 1970s and we have more mentally ill than ever now.

SF is hosting the 50th Annual Super Bowl early next year and the city fathers are worried about what to do with the homeless population, a full 75% of whom are mentally ill. I know SF isn't the only city with major problems. We already are paying for the devastating fires and major repairs to the new Oakland-Bay Bridge due to shoddy materials.

Too bad the pro-illegals crowd does not bother to keep up with what is going on around them. I used to be a Democrat, but changed to Will Not Disclose (or whatever) when Jerry Brown started going off his rocker. But I have NEVER been for illegals.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:16 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
Many of the homeless in this country have mental health issues. We can't seem to take care of them....why in the world would we want to import more?

All these class action lawsuits on behalf of illegals make my blood boil. Demanding to remain in a country you entered illegally is the height of audacity.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,441,107 times
"Mental disability" is the new euphemism (that i personally detest) for "mentally retarded."

Which begs the question: if they were "mentally disabled" and yet still able to get here, then what makes them significantly different from any other immigrant?

As for "why they were able to represent themselves in the first place?" There is no public defender assigned for immigration hearings.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:05 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
"Mental disability" is the new euphemism (that i personally detest) for "mentally retarded."

Which begs the question: if they were "mentally disabled" and yet still able to get here, then what makes them significantly different from any other immigrant?

As for "why they were able to represent themselves in the first place?" There is no public defender assigned for immigration hearings.
Well, see it is not cut and dried. I have a son with Down syndrome. I was looking at what social security considerd "mental disorder", and I am sure if these people come in they'll want to grant them immediate access to money/services, and it includes all sorts of things from personality disorders which is often very subjective when it comes to diagnosis to mentally disabled: 12.00-Mental Disorders-Adult

As has been stated, we can't even take care of our own citizens. And, yes, Utopian Slums you are right as to how any of these people so "disabled" in any way could carry out a plan to come here on their own, get the funds together..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration