U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,043,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well see you have angst towards Mexicans now, you have responded to some of the racists with racism. So you see that is how this all became what it is now.

Again I don't care who started it, but you're not making it any less a racist topic by saying "the majority of mexicans are ___".

That is very offensive to me as a Mexican person, you see that is how it works. By saying "they started it by raising the flag" doesn't make your racist response any more justified, and IMO you elevated it by saying we are by majority this and that.

Didn't we learn that in Elementary School something about "2 wrongs"?
I think you misunderstood my point, as also you haven't read the TOS which restricts you from calling people racist.

If I said that I hate all Mexicans, then I would be a racist. However, I said no such thing, that was you incorrect assumption and interpretation. I have many friends who are Mexican, many of them very good friends. Saying that the majority of illegals are Mexican is a FACT. Saying that the way the protesters in May of 2006 portrayed the SOB illegals in a way that angered many Americans is a FACT. To say that many of the Mexicans in my town stare me down and blast Mariachi music constantly at all hours is a FACT. I never ONCE said I dislike Mexicans or any race for that matter nor do I have anything against any entire race, I do however have problems with individuals of that race and all races for that matter, all races have bad apples. I have nothing against anyone, I give everyone of every race, creed or color a chance, and I don't believe myself to be racist. I have predjudices that are wrong like everyone else, but I am not racist. If that's what you'd like to believe than that's your own problem, I could care less what you think. Sounds to me like you have a complex against white people personally, and that you need to seperate the FACTS from your own predjudices.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I think you misunderstood my point, as also you haven't read the TOS which restricts you from calling people racist.

If I said that I hate all Mexicans, then I would be a racist. However, I said no such thing, that was you incorrect assumption and interpretation. I have many friends who are Mexican, many of them very good friends. Saying that the majority of illegals are Mexican is a FACT. Saying that the way the protesters in May of 2006 portrayed the SOB illegals in a way that angered many Americans is a FACT. To say that many of the Mexicans in my town stare me down and blast Mariachi music constantly at all hours is a FACT. I never ONCE said I dislike Mexicans or any race for that matter nor do I have anything against any entire race, I do however have problems with individuals of that race and all races for that matter, all races have bad apples. I have nothing against anyone, I give everyone of every race, creed or color a chance, and I don't believe myself to be racist. I have predjudices that are wrong like everyone else, but I am not racist. If that's what you'd like to believe than that's your own problem, I could care less what you think. Sounds to me like you have a complex against white people personally, and that you need to seperate the FACTS from your own predjudices.
Mach50 admitted that his mother was an illegal from Mexico; his father was an 'Anglo' American of Irish heritage.

Mach50 is as 'Mexican' as Mitt Romney-------George Romney was born/raised in Chihuahua, Mx for about 10-12 years.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Default My Prediction

I read all this with amazement. It's quite a forum, and like a lot of others, I've been 'with it' for a while now. I don't know what the future holds for America (20 years ago, I couldn't have IMAGINED 'this')....will we still "be" America? Will all the illegals' children and grandchildren be 'assimilated' (even though they weren't 'pushed' into it like other groups?). Will America be a 'free' country, or an angry, balkanized collection of mutually-hostile groups, none of whom much 'like' each other? Will America speak English? Spanish? Both? or SEVERAL languages?

Quite frankly, I DON"T KNOW. There is evidence that just about ANYTHING could happen. I know I have little faith in 'multiculturalism', though lots of folks seem happy with that idea. I will, however, make ONE PREDICTION, and here it is:

I predict that sooner or later, whether the 'current' illegals stay or go, whether or NOT the current nasty mood of 'racism' abates, or gets WORSE, America will "decide" ONE THING.... Like any country in the WORLD which takes itself seriously, whether we ever have a Hispanic majority or not, America, at some point , will decide that it no longer "HAS" to take in Illegal immigrants-in fact it won't "have" to take in ANYONE. For one reason or another (perhaps in reaction to a serious internal crisis) America will INEVITABLY come to see that it should admit the immigrants IT NEEDS, and WANTS.....that America (no matter what its ethnic makeup) has not only the RIGHT, but the DUTY to monitor its 'entrants'.....to admit only those who will BENEFIT America, and to DENY entrance at such times as we can no longer 'provide' for newcomers. Perhaps we'll "CLOSE" the welcome sign for a year or so, on occasion. We'll insist on KNOWING who's coming, and they'll need our 'say so". We'll no longer feel the obligation to "provide" for the whole human race. We've TRIED that, and, frankly, there hasn't been a lot of 'gratitude' or appreciation. Eventually, like ANY COUNTRY MUST, we'll see our "duty" as being to ourselves, not to un-named, vaguely-defined 'others'. We'll get "out of the business" of "open house", and get down to the reality of trying to run a country for US--on OUR terms---for the people who LIVE here. (this is HARDLY a 'revolutionary' idea--it's just new for "US"..The Military once admitted all sorts of low-lifes, jailbirds, and losers. Those days are LONG GONE. No longer is the Military 'required' to provide for folks---they want only recruits who will be an ASSET to the service. What used to be a 'dumping ground', has now become a 'prestige assignment'. Only 'good folks' get into the military now, and many are rejected).

Whether that makes us "mean" or "selfish" or anything else, I think, will be very doubtful. Few people will 'buy' into that old guilt-trip. No matter what our ethnic makeup, or even our language, sometime in the next century, I predict my 'scenario' will come true. America will 'mature' to the reality of a harsh world, in which we will HAVE to keep OUR interests in first place, for it will be obvious that no one ELSE will 'take care of us'. We'll HAVE to consider our own needs first, not the "needs" of the world's dissatisfied masses.

Let's all meet in 100 years and see if I'm right...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,921,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
Ok if theres one thing that really annoys me when people talk about illegal immigration it's the racism comments.

Anti-Illegal Immigration has nothing to do with racism. ZERO.

In fact, whoever is calling others 'racist' is in fact the racist himself. He is implying that all illegal immigrants must be hispanic. Thats a racist stereotype.

Take these examples. Imagine if someone said "I hate people who are good at math" and someone shouted "Racist! you hate asians!". Or "I hate people who listen to hick country music" and someone shouted "racist! you hate white people!". You get the point..

The person calling racist is obviously stereotyping the hispanic race to be all illegal immigrants.

I have hispanic friends who are citizens. I get along with them just like everyone else. Why am I anti-illegal immgrant? No its not racism, thats stupid. There are countless reasons. The obvious ones - stealing jobs, tax evasion, free medical. Also the not so obvious ones. I look at it as modern slavery. Someone being paid $2 for hard labor?? Are you kidding?? Thats enough money to put food on the table and thats it. Everything about it is wrong.

amen............

Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yes, really.

One's personal opinions on race have no effect on the law.

¿Comprendes?
I think the correct response is "No Nintendo".

Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 AM

310 posts, read 257,807 times
Racism NEVER had to be an issue regarding America's problem with ILLEGAL immigration........but you know it is and always has to a degree.

But the fact is.......the MAJORITY of those in America ILLEGALLY.........ARE HERE from just South of our border with Mexico.

Not saying ALL illegals are Mexican........only saying that it would appear the vast majority of illegals originated from within Mexico and other countries further South from there.

Sure......there are others here in America ILLEGALLY and from a lot of other countries around the world too.........its just the vast MAJORITY are from a considerable distance closer to our southern border and its also directly in correlation with the simple fact that nearly EVERY country SOUTH of the US-Mexico border.......is far more impoverished than not and many of there residents only seek opportunity.
Same holds true with MANY other countries and an extreme desire of many to just GET into America and try to "better" themselves.......or take what they can get!
Opportunity is so readily available in the US!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,922,878 times
Absolutely.. the only reason.. illegal criminals travel north, is they DON"T GIVE anything for FREE if they were to go south.. no free auto anchor baby, no free welfare, no free foodstamps, and so-on...

Do you see mexicans EVER going SOUTH.. of course not.. No Free-B's!
Do you EVER hear of mexicans complaining about how guatemala use to belong to mexico and they want it back.. yeh right!
They Don't ever complain about guatemala is because it's also a wasteland.
They only want America because it's full of FREE stuff.
Over and over again.. you hear the same thing.. well, this USE to belong to mexico.. well SO DID guatemala.. we don't hear ya wanting to go there!
What.. NOT ENOUGH FREE STUFF!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,899,679 times
Calling out "racism" is merely the PC game of the day. Instead of thinking "devastating", why not think, "who cares"? Common sense is dead, the threats and eternal fear of being called racist are very much alive. What a waste of energy. Using such a foul term without using common sense makes it null and void. Since so many of our Founding Fathers now have inherited the title RACIST, why not wear it with grace and distinction along with them in a world gone mad?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:05 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I concur; this should not be a racial issue. After all, we have illegal aliens from many countries and ethnicities. However, when the largest group of illegals (Mexicans) have the unmitigated gall to spit in our faces, and refuse to show a modicum of gratitude for the generosity of U.S. taxpayers; what on earth should one expect? Only a sicko masochist derives pleasure from being used and abused. Call is racism if you choose; but we have simply had enough.

Other illegals have not marched in our streets waving foreign flags while desecrating the U.S. flag. Nor do they have an arrogant sense of entitlement. Most are simply happy to be here, and maintain a low profile. Remember – the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

The illegal Mexicans have created this problem for themselves through their arrogance and total disdain for legal citizens of this country. The Mexican government exacerbates the problem with the incessant meddling in U.S. affairs, and the brazen demands. We owe Mexico and its citizenry absolutely nothing.
Excellent post - you hit it right on the head.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I think the correct response is "No Nintendo".
(sigh) These new-fangled modern wonders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration