U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM

170 posts, read 908,596 times

Advertisements

Ok if theres one thing that really annoys me when people talk about illegal immigration it's the racism comments.

Anti-Illegal Immigration has nothing to do with racism. ZERO.

In fact, whoever is calling others 'racist' is in fact the racist himself. He is implying that all illegal immigrants must be hispanic. Thats a racist stereotype.

Take these examples. Imagine if someone said "I hate people who are good at math" and someone shouted "Racist! you hate asians!". Or "I hate people who listen to hick country music" and someone shouted "racist! you hate white people!". You get the point..

The person calling racist is obviously stereotyping the hispanic race to be all illegal immigrants.

I have hispanic friends who are citizens. I get along with them just like everyone else. Why am I anti-illegal immgrant? No its not racism, thats stupid. There are countless reasons. The obvious ones - stealing jobs, tax evasion, free medical. Also the not so obvious ones. I look at it as modern slavery. Someone being paid $2 for hard labor?? Are you kidding?? Thats enough money to put food on the table and thats it. Everything about it is wrong.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
I agree, and its the Pro-illegal Hispanics themselves who are calling anyone who thinks different of their beliefs on the issue racists. I have been called a racist myself, by my own people just for the fact that I believe in closed borders. If Mexico can have a harsh immigration policy and a closed border, then we should be able too.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
re: the race card - being an accuser means never having to say you are sorry?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I agree, and its the Pro-illegal Hispanics themselves who are calling anyone who thinks different of their beliefs on the issue racists. I have been called a racist myself, by my own people just for the fact that I believe in closed borders. If Mexico can have a harsh immigration policy and a closed border, then we should be able too.
Excellent point there, PL.

And the hypocrisy of MEChA, etc. astounds me------most of 'em are mixed race as it is and hang onto the White Man's language, Spanish.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
The problem is, as it's always been. The illegal immigration debacle is a legal controvesy, involving trespass and violation of borders. It can (and SHOULD) be addressed on this level. Unfortunately, it's also an issue of intense interest to racists (racists of MANY descriptions), and it's a fact of modern life that MOST racists will 'disguise' their racism under a 'cover story'.
For example, a person who hates Hispanics MAY profess to only object to "illegal immigrants"....when the reality is he dislikes ALL Hispanics. At the same time, some folks who profess to be sympathetic to the plight of the 'hard-working' illegals may REALLY only want their cheap labor--- or may have NO interest in 'poor' people, only in Mexicans being allowed free access into the US. (ever hear of anyone 'agitating' for the rights of illegal Russians, or Afghans, or Chinese?)

It's impossible to be sure what ANYBODY'S true motives are. The good and the bad, the reasonable and the most virulent race-baiters, ALL have something to say, and I defy anyone to sort them all out.

In present-day America, if ANY controversy has (or can be made to APPEAR to have), any sort of a 'racial' component, a 'racial issue' is what it will become. That's true in ANY controversy, only one of which is illegal immigration. Islamic terrorism, too, has a certain racial or 'ethnic' component, as well....and many people refuse to admit there's any other angle to the 'terrorist' question, beyond simple racism. The same holds true with illegal immigration.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
macmeal you always make a lot of sense - I always enjoy reading your posts.

I went to great public schools with people of all races, the largest group at my high school was hispanics -- I graduated in 1976. I don't think much about race, I have friends of all colors. It's hard for me to believe here in the 21st century in America that we have that many racist people -- but you have to look at suburbs, exurbs - etc and it would seem a lot of white people are trying to avoid minorities. Of course I have known many minorities with grudges against whites, etc. I have known some minorities don't like other minorities, etc..seems silly to me.

I think much of the problem here is not only the lawlessness with which the illegals enter, it's the lawless, third-world way many live which has no regard for their neighbors. I don't care who you are or where you are from or what your color is, how much you make, if you are causing me problems I don't like it! If you can't follow the law and act like an American, then leave!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
macmeal you always make a lot of sense - I always enjoy reading your posts.

I went to great public schools with people of all races, the largest group at my high school was hispanics -- I graduated in 1976. I don't think much about race, I have friends of all colors. It's hard for me to believe here in the 21st century in America that we have that many racist people -- but you have to look at suburbs, exurbs - etc and it would seem a lot of white people are trying to avoid minorities. Of course I have known many minorities with grudges against whites, etc. I have known some minorities don't like other minorities, etc..seems silly to me.

I think much of the problem here is not only the lawlessness with which the illegals enter, it's the lawless, third-world way many live which has no regard for their neighbors. I don't care who you are or where you are from or what your color is, how much you make, if you are causing me problems I don't like it! If you can't follow the law and act like an American, then leave!
It's mostly the behavior of the illegals that gets to most people. But, I think that most people are "racist" to some degree, depending on how they were brought up. Obviously, there's some kind of problem, because we always have to work on it. And, I don't think it's necessarily a "fringe" problem. It can be in any one of us.

If somebody says I'm a racist, that's OK with me. Maybe I am - I'm not afraid of that title. Whoever says it probably is a racist in some way, too. This is something that most of us have to work on our whole lives.

But, it is not relevant to the illegal immigration issue.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP, but there is a more basic point to be made.

Even if someone opposes illegal immigration on racial grounds, IT DOESN'T MATTER. A Jewish burglar does not get exonerated if he breaks into a Nation of Islam member's home. A black carjacker cannot be acquitted of crimes against KKK members because of his race.

Racism is irrelevant to illegal immigration. Follow the rules or get out/stay home.

Additionally, it is perfectly legal to excude foreigners based on race, if we so choose (see: Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882).

Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP, but there is a more basic point to be made.

Even if someone opposes illegal immigration on racial grounds, IT DOESN'T MATTER. A Jewish burglar does not get exonerated if he breaks into a Nation of Islam member's home. A black carjacker cannot be acquitted of crimes against KKK members because of his race.

Racism is irrelevant to illegal immigration. Follow the rules or get out/stay home.

Additionally, it is perfectly legal to excude foreigners based on race, if we so choose (see: Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882).
Really?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Really?
Yes, really.

One's personal opinions on race have no effect on the law.

¿Comprendes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration