Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 AM

599 posts, read 401,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Annex Mexico, problems solved.
It's definitely possible and white reasonable since Mexico in my opinion is in a state of anarchy not to mention filled with corruption from the Drug Cartels influence. We should also end the Drug War why we're at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:59 AM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Contractor Conundrum: licensing not required in Texas | KXAN.com When you live in Texas, and if you're smart, you make sure your contractor is licensed (and bonded) because it is not required. Plenty of contractors tend to pick up the day laborers you mentioned in another post in this thread. There's a reason why those guys are hanging out in parking lots waiting for a job, and that's because it works. They do get picked up for jobs.
Well that's news to me. Why would Texas be an exception? Um, I think we know that illegals hang out in parking lots of stores to get picked up for work. It happens here in Calif. also but the point is that both those who hire them and the illegals know they are breaking the law and just plain don't care. If I were ever to have work done on my own property I would make sure that the contractor were licensed and that their workers were legal. I would never cruise parking lots looking for day laborers. That can create all kinds of problems such as liabilities not to mention breaking the law if they are illegal but then that's just me I guess. I'm not Joe cheapskate I am a law abiding American.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:33 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
It's definitely possible and white reasonable since Mexico in my opinion is in a state of anarchy not to mention filled with corruption from the Drug Cartels influence. We should also end the Drug War why we're at it.
We do NOT need to annex Mexico! We have enough problems here in the US as it is.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:55 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well that's news to me. Why would Texas be an exception? Um, I think we know that illegals hang out in parking lots of stores to get picked up for work. It happens here in Calif. also but the point is that both those who hire them and the illegals know they are breaking the law and just plain don't care. If I were ever to have work done on my own property I would make sure that the contractor were licensed and that their workers were legal. I would never cruise parking lots looking for day laborers. That can create all kinds of problems such as liabilities not to mention breaking the law if they are illegal but then that's just me I guess. I'm not Joe cheapskate I am a law abiding American.
It is not a matter of guys hanging out in parking lots here. Most production builders have used illegals for years. They still do. The process is to hire a contractor to do the framing, painting, drywall. That contractor can hire whomever they please. The builder of off the hook for the I 9's for anybody but the contractor.

Plumbers and electricians need to be licensed.

Another problem is counties cannot make ordinances without special permission from the legislature. Much of the population, thus building,is in unincorporated parts of the county. Hence, no building codes. The state says that any work done on electric or plumbing must be done by a licensed contractor. There is no permit nor inspection required. If the house burns to the ground or floods, the insurance does not have to pay if you used anyone but a licensed person. Most folks don't know that. The buyers from out of state are so enchanted by granite and stainless steel and the cheaper prices than back home, they don't even question what is inside the walls.

We bought a newer house and discovered the outside light fixture wiring was not even in a box. They just picked up a wire from a plug inside the house, drilled a hole through the wall and ran a wire to the outside light fixture. No one soul found that odd.

That is why housing in Houston is cheaper than other places.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It is not a matter of guys hanging out in parking lots here. Most production builders have used illegals for years. They still do. The process is to hire a contractor to do the framing, painting, drywall. That contractor can hire whomever they please. The builder of off the hook for the I 9's for anybody but the contractor.

Plumbers and electricians need to be licensed.

Another problem is counties cannot make ordinances without special permission from the legislature. Much of the population, thus building,is in unincorporated parts of the county. Hence, no building codes. The state says that any work done on electric or plumbing must be done by a licensed contractor. There is no permit nor inspection required. If the house burns to the ground or floods, the insurance does not have to pay if you used anyone but a licensed person. Most folks don't know that. The buyers from out of state are so enchanted by granite and stainless steel and the cheaper prices than back home, they don't even question what is inside the walls.

We bought a newer house and discovered the outside light fixture wiring was not even in a box. They just picked up a wire from a plug inside the house, drilled a hole through the wall and ran a wire to the outside light fixture. No one soul found that odd.

That is why housing in Houston is cheaper than other places.
No, according to "federal" law a contractor cannot lawfully hire anyone they want aka illegal aliens including the state of Texas.

Illegal aliens do not make prices cheaper no matter what you think. Home buyers might think they are getting a less expensive house but in reality they are paying through the nose in many other ways wiping out any so-called savings. As you pointed out defectiveness in the workmanship is only one of the prices they pay. There is a tract of homes across the street from me that was built with illegal alien labor. The prices weren't any cheaper and the workmanship was deplorable. Many of the owners up and moved out after their homes started to fall apart. The contractor/builder just pocketed the profits from his illegal workforce.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 AM

They are all breaking the law with the help of our lawmakers. While he lived, the builder most guilty of hiring illegals was also one of the largest contributors to a political party in Texas

IMO, it will only stop when the employers serve jail time. I do not see that happening in my lifetime. Fines are just a cost of doing business.

The only thing a citizen can do is vote with their shopping dollars.

Taking a page from Howard Beale is not working.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
They are all breaking the law with the help of our lawmakers. While he lived, the builder most guilty of hiring illegals was also one of the largest contributors to a political party in Texas

IMO, it will only stop when the employers serve jail time. I do not see that happening in my lifetime. Fines are just a cost of doing business.

The only thing a citizen can do is vote with their shopping dollars.

Taking a page from Howard Beale is not working.
An employer has to be convicted of "knowlingly" hiring illegal aliens. Illegal aliens produce pretty authentic looking ID's to work that of course does not include employers who hire them under the table though. E-verify needs to be implemented across the board so that it puts and end to illegal aliens gaining employment. It's not only jobs that bring them here though. Benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids do also. The House GOP just framed a bill for e-verify and birthright citizenship.

Only if the public knows that a business hires or hired illegal aliens can they vote with their shopping dollars. In many cases there is no way of knowing.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 AM

There were many bills in the Texas lege supporting e verify. None made it out of committee. One gave citizens who knew of illegals working at a place the opportunity to file a complaint. That one didn't' stand a chance in this 20 years of heavily Republican controlled state government.

Any thing aimed at stopping the employment of illegals is smoke and mirrors. Business owners want cheap labor. Bleeding hearts want to save the world.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM

30,997 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
What an absolutely asinine comparison....

Honestly the ILLEGALS that are now receiving handouts &
freebies on the taxpayers dime are laughing at all of the stupid Americans...
This country is a joke, to the world

^^^^This. Lets get to the US for a free ride! Doesn't really matter where they come from "Illegal is Illegal". I don't want to pay for Illegals from Mexico, Russia, Syria, Somalia, Australia or any other place

Old 10-13-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
There were many bills in the Texas lege supporting e verify. None made it out of committee. One gave citizens who knew of illegals working at a place the opportunity to file a complaint. That one didn't' stand a chance in this 20 years of heavily Republican controlled state government.

Any thing aimed at stopping the employment of illegals is smoke and mirrors. Business owners want cheap labor. Bleeding hearts want to save the world.
If you want to talk parties on the other hand the Democrats are the ones pandering to Hispanics on illegal immigration by promising to let them remain here and retain American jobs. It was Obama that gave millions of them a stay of deportation also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration