U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM

9,957 posts, read 7,780,125 times

Advertisements

Not laying this off on either party.

What I was attempting to convey, badly, was that one would believe today solving this should have been a no brainer with all the Rs controlling the state. The grass roots want illegals stopped. Those who control want cheap labor.

I haven't seen any anti illegals anything from the Dems. Except maybe Sanders. Roy Beck doesn't show anything higher than 37% for any Dem. I figured them for a lost cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 PM

32,223 posts, read 14,876,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Not laying this off on either party.

What I was attempting to convey, badly, was that one would believe today solving this should have been a no brainer with all the Rs controlling the state. The grass roots want illegals stopped. Those who control want cheap labor.

I haven't seen any anti illegals anything from the Dems. Except maybe Sanders. Roy Beck doesn't show anything higher than 37% for any Dem. I figured them for a lost cause.
You had mentioned the Republican party specifically in the post I replied to and you are doing it again now. States can't solve the illegal immigration problem because it is a federal issue. Don't you recall when Arizona tried it (by a Republican governor) and Obama intervened? It is businesses and congressmen of both parties that want the cheap labor. You won't find one Dem candidate that doesn't support amnesty.....not one. They not only want the cheap labor but they want a path to citizenship so that they will have a larger voting bloc.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:56 PM

9,957 posts, read 7,780,125 times
I responded to a post on an Internet forum where no one knows the level of another's knowledge. It was not my intention to make it a career.

All I can add is that the unintended consequences of hiring illegals and expecting them to remain single and celibate is expensive, no matter who is calling the shots.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 PM

11,689 posts, read 5,630,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's hard to tell who uses illegal aliens in the restaurant business though. It isn't our place to question the employees that is up to their employers. It is also up to the contractors to see that their employees are legal workers also. However, there are those home owners that pick up illegal aliens in front of hardware stores, etc. and give them work. They then are the guilty ones and yes that should stop.
^Exactly!

If any of us were to ask a restaurant owner if s/he hires illegals, of course s/he will answer "no". They're not going to admit it if they do use illegals.

It always amazes me that the same people who would never pick up hitchhikers think nothing about picking up day laborers standing around on a street corner, 7-Eleven or Home Depot. They are picking up total strangers and not only do they not know if they possess the skills to do the work, they also don't know if they are dangerous. People have been killed by illegals they (or the company they hired) picked up at a gathering site.

I always say that if a business is hiring illegals or caters to them, that's a diseased business and needs to die.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 PM

32,223 posts, read 14,876,314 times
Quote:
I responded to a post on an Internet forum where no one knows the level of another's knowledge. It was not my intention to make it a career.

All I can add is that the unintended consequences of hiring illegals and expecting them to remain single and celibate is expensive, no matter who is calling the shots.
Not sure what you mean in your last sentence.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 PM

8,905 posts, read 10,411,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well that's news to me. Why would Texas be an exception? Um, I think we know that illegals hang out in parking lots of stores to get picked up for work. It happens here in Calif. also but the point is that both those who hire them and the illegals know they are breaking the law and just plain don't care. If I were ever to have work done on my own property I would make sure that the contractor were licensed and that their workers were legal. I would never cruise parking lots looking for day laborers. That can create all kinds of problems such as liabilities not to mention breaking the law if they are illegal but then that's just me I guess. I'm not Joe cheapskate I am a law abiding American.
No, you're not a cheapskate. You're smart. This is absolutely why I said many of us make sure the contractor is licensed and bonded. I do not want to get sued because some guy, legal or not, slips off of my roof or takes a spill in my driveway. I don't understand why Texas is different. Even many of the big custom home builder companies (huge building boom here) use illegal labor. My guess is it's political and that they lobby for it, because they can build 5000 square foot homes for the least amount of $$$. There has been debate about that situation here in Texas for years.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
They are all breaking the law with the help of our lawmakers. While he lived, the builder most guilty of hiring illegals was also one of the largest contributors to a political party in Texas
Quote:
IMO, it will only stop when the employers serve jail time. I do not see that happening in my lifetime. Fines are just a cost of doing business.

The only thing a citizen can do is vote with their shopping dollars.

Taking a page from Howard Beale is not working.

Yep!!!

Meant to bold your comment about that particular builder.

Last edited by TXNGL; 10-13-2015 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Meant to bold, not chop up post.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
There were many bills in the Texas lege supporting e verify. None made it out of committee. One gave citizens who knew of illegals working at a place the opportunity to file a complaint. That one didn't' stand a chance in this 20 years of heavily Republican controlled state government.

Any thing aimed at stopping the employment of illegals is smoke and mirrors. Business owners want cheap labor. Bleeding hearts want to save the world.
Precisely! Both "sides" are guilty, at least how it pertains to illegal hiring by contractors here in Texas.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:23 AM

3,542 posts, read 2,199,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Precisely! Both "sides" are guilty, at least how it pertains to illegal hiring by contractors here in Texas.
And Governor Brown of CA has been promoting and it may have passed a law wherin it is outright illegal for an employer to use e-verify.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:03 AM

20,930 posts, read 15,672,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Consider the paddy wagon. From the mid-19th century through the mid-20th, this was the common term for the vehicles in which police hauled convicts and arrestees to jails, courts and prisons. Consider, now, the origin of the term. The “paddies” were Irish immigrants, who were flocking to the United States in the 1840s and ’50s, fleeing the great famine that had descended on Ireland. And the Irish, some right-thinking Protestant Americans believed, were inherently a criminal bunch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f92_story.html

Wash Post: can someone say a FAIL here?! The Irish mostly came to the US legally; so QUIT trying to blur the lines between legal and illegal aliens, Ok?

If there are any Irish people in the US illegally in 2015, their kind still need to leave. Period.
What part of "illegal immigrant" do you not comprehend? It's not just for Mexicans...why are you being so racist? Deport ALL illegal immigrants who are here, right now.

Sorry that we don't have a time machine for you to use to go back and deport all the Irish that you hate, but I'd like to welcome you to 2015. We have an illegal immigration problem. It's more than Mexicans. There's people from Europe, people from Canada, people from all across the globe that are not here legally. Why did you feel the need to single out Mexicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or