U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 PM
 
1,614 posts, read 1,124,255 times
Reputation: 2635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
And this is why too many Americans are soft on illegal immigration today. They have never set foot in California or Florida or other areas being overrun by illegals, yet when they hear talk of enforcing immigration law they think 'gosh my ancestors would've been turned away, and I wouldn't be an American today.' Uh no--we are living in completely different times than 1840. I can't even read people like this author anymore who blur the lines between legal and illegal, ignore that the fact that were was no welfare state back then, and make no mention of the fact that one-third of immigrants who couldn't cut it back then went home! Nobody goes home now.

And at least the Irish speak English!
You can understand now why this country is in the mess its in when millions of its citizens dont get the difference between illegal aliens and those who have entered legally, and to make matters worse they are voting. If all who exist in this nation today were considered illegal by these nitwits we would have no citizens left due to being sent back to nation of origin and of course the nitwits would be gone also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
You can understand now why this country is in the mess its in when millions of its citizens dont get the difference between illegal aliens and those who have entered legally, and to make matters worse they are voting. If all who exist in this nation today were considered illegal by these nitwits we would have no citizens left due to being sent back to nation of origin and of course the nitwits would be gone also.
Agreed. Even most of the American Indians would need to "leave", too. Word was the AI's arrived in different "waves" so; wave number 2 on out would need to leave IF depotations were carried out. Then there's a "small" problem here: if ANY of the people here in the US legally tried to back to where their ancestors came from withOUT permission from the old countries, they'd be deported real fast or maybe jailed.

Like I'm of Irish family; but, IF I TRIED to go "back" to Ireland, I'd be clapped in jail real fast then deported since I'm NOT an Irish national.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 PM
 
156 posts, read 111,904 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
And this is why too many Americans are soft on illegal immigration today. They have never set foot in California or Florida or other areas being overrun by illegals, yet when they hear talk of enforcing immigration law they think 'gosh my ancestors would've been turned away, and I wouldn't be an American today.' Uh no--we are living in completely different times than 1840. I can't even read people like this author anymore who blur the lines between legal and illegal, ignore that the fact that were was no welfare state back then, and make no mention of the fact that one-third of immigrants who couldn't cut it back then went home! Nobody goes home now.

And at least the Irish speak English!
You're right about that! Some people do think that way. What they aren't thinking is that their ancestors came according to the laws on the books at the time they came.

While my ancestors had to come through Ellis island and undergo processing, 100 years before that immigrants didn't have to go through that procedure. So what? Things were different in 1910 than they were in 1810. By the same token, the circumstances in this country are different now than they were 100 years ago. I just don't understand why people can't think this through logically.

My ancestors a,so came to a completely different country in the early 20th century than the ones who came 100 or 200 years before. As circumstances change, rules change (or should) when it comes to immigration to adapt to the current circumstances. This isn't hard to grasp.

Last edited by majesticat; 10-08-2015 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 PM
 
156 posts, read 111,904 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, you're right. Not only does the author of this article blur the lines between legal and illegal but many Americans do also. They think they're all immigrants when that simply isn't true. Those who come here illegally aren't immigrants they are illegal aliens. There are good reasons why immigration has to be regulated today compared to the past. I guess they use no common sense they are just ruled by their emotions. Those who came here in the past did not steal jobs, taxes and resources from Americans either.
Well, actually--and I'm being 100% honest here--the same "powers-that-be" used waves of immigrants as cheap labor to undercut the American workers who came before them; although those immigrants were coming legally for the most part. At least that's what I've read. It wasn't until WW1 when immigration slowed down and then the 1920s when the immigration restriction act passed that business wasn't able to take advantage of the cheap immigrant labor any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2015, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,858 posts, read 10,318,535 times
Reputation: 9268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Consider the paddy wagon. From the mid-19th century through the mid-20th, this was the common term for the vehicles in which police hauled convicts and arrestees to jails, courts and prisons. Consider, now, the origin of the term. The “paddies” were Irish immigrants, who were flocking to the United States in the 1840s and ’50s, fleeing the great famine that had descended on Ireland. And the Irish, some right-thinking Protestant Americans believed, were inherently a criminal bunch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f92_story.html

Wash Post: can someone say a FAIL here?! The Irish mostly came to the US legally; so QUIT trying to blur the lines between legal and illegal aliens, Ok?

If there are any Irish people in the US illegally in 2015, their kind still need to leave. Period.
Fascinating article about the Know Nothing Party. I wrote a paper about them in grad school. It's a fine line, I admit, but the Irish arriving at that time did not "come here legally". They just showed up and were processed. Same with the Germans arriving at the same time, equally despised by the protestant Know Nothings. They felt they drank too much (the Irish with their whiskey and the Germans with their beer), had too much allegiance to the Pope, did not assimilate (sound familiar?), and were generally undesirable. Is it the same story as dozens of illegals found in the back of a semi (story from yesterday in Texas)? No, but it's also not a case of an Irish family in Ireland filling out paper work and hoping to get in line. They showed up and were either accepted or sent back. Common to see on the East Coast at the time, "Irish need not apply."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2015, 01:30 AM
 
11,506 posts, read 5,515,070 times
Reputation: 9876
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Fascinating article about the Know Nothing Party. I wrote a paper about them in grad school. It's a fine line, I admit, but the Irish arriving at that time did not "come here legally". They just showed up and were processed.
Yet, they did NOT come here illegally as per the laws of that time period. Not everybody who was processed was allowed to stay. Many were put right back on the boat that brought them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2015, 03:14 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
8,839 posts, read 8,971,330 times
Reputation: 9082
I've seen Español written on countless signs here in SoCal, though I do not recall ever going into a place such as Home Depot and seeing signs written in Gaelic.

The elitist author needs to climb down out of his ivory tower and see the Reconquista first hand before he spews any more of his tripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2015, 03:18 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
8,839 posts, read 8,971,330 times
Reputation: 9082
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It's a fine line, I admit, but the Irish arriving at that time did not "come here legally". They just showed up and were processed.
What laws did they break by showing up and being processed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 AM
 
31,542 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8398
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Fascinating article about the Know Nothing Party. I wrote a paper about them in grad school. It's a fine line, I admit, but the Irish arriving at that time did not "come here legally". They just showed up and were processed. Same with the Germans arriving at the same time, equally despised by the protestant Know Nothings. They felt they drank too much (the Irish with their whiskey and the Germans with their beer), had too much allegiance to the Pope, did not assimilate (sound familiar?), and were generally undesirable. Is it the same story as dozens of illegals found in the back of a semi (story from yesterday in Texas)? No, but it's also not a case of an Irish family in Ireland filling out paper work and hoping to get in line. They showed up and were either accepted or sent back. Common to see on the East Coast at the time, "Irish need not apply."
If they came illegally then they wouldn't have been "processed". The rules were different back then because we were a sparsely populated country with plenty of jobs and resources for immigrants. That's not so today so we have had to implement quotas for legal immigration and deny illegal entry. The issue of illegal immigration today has nothing to do with how immigrant groups were perceived long ago. This is about our laws not the quirks of the ethnic groups coming here illegally. It's gets tiresome reading posts where the past is used to justify the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2015, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,189 posts, read 14,074,451 times
Reputation: 18141
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
You're right about that! Some people do think that way. What they aren't thinking is that their ancestors came according to the laws on the books at the time they came.

While my ancestors had to come through Ellis island and undergo processing, 100 years before that immigrants didn't have to go through that procedure. So what? Things were different in 1910 than they were in 1810. By the same token, the circumstances in this country are different now than they were 100 years ago. I just don't understand why people can't think this through logically.

My ancestors a,so came to a completely different country in the early 20th century than the ones who came 100 or 200 years before. As circumstances change, rules change (or should) when it comes to immigration to adapt to the current circumstances. This isn't hard to grasp.
Do you think they are just illegals speaking that did not learn about the history of our nation? That is my hope because, otherwise, we have some people here whose education leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I've seen Español written on countless signs here in SoCal, though I do not recall ever going into a place such as Home Depot and seeing signs written in Gaelic.

The elitist author needs to climb down out of his ivory tower and see the Reconquista first hand before he spews any more of his tripe.
Exactly. When I was a child, South Bend, IN probably had people from SO many countries, it made for a fascinating place at the time, I never saw any signage in anything but English to include their own little shops or when they held ethnic celebrations. These people were proud to be Americans and did not come to change our country but to enrich it.

I think the illegals, had they not been producing anchor babies for profit and making so many demands for rights that they should never be entitled to including their use of our medical system for free, that there would not be the huge issue. They are trying to colonize the US. How many times have we sent US troops to foreign lands to stop that sort of thing? Many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top