Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yet, they did NOT come here illegally as per the laws of that time period. Not everybody who was processed was allowed to stay. Many were put right back on the boat that brought them here.
Yes, I think I mentioned that. :-) My point is many people of Irish and German decent (Italian, too) are the first to make the claim that their ancestors came here "legally" COMPARING their experience to what is happening now, and there really is no comparison. It's apples and grapefruits. And I imagine, if they were able to communicate with the original ancestor whom arrived on these shores, they'd get a very different story from them than what they imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Consider the paddy wagon. From the mid-19th century through the mid-20th, this was the common term for the vehicles in which police hauled convicts and arrestees to jails, courts and prisons. Consider, now, the origin of the term. The “paddies” were Irish immigrants, who were flocking to the United States in the 1840s and ’50s, fleeing the great famine that had descended on Ireland. And the Irish, some right-thinking Protestant Americans believed, were inherently a criminal bunch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f92_story.html

Wash Post: can someone say a FAIL here?! The Irish mostly came to the US legally; so QUIT trying to blur the lines between legal and illegal aliens, Ok?

If there are any Irish people in the US illegally in 2015, their kind still need to leave. Period.
Since it's not the 1800's any longer and if the 2015 illegal Irish start demanding stupid…they can hop a ride out with their fellow illegals from every other country.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:07 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
I believe there are some people posting in this thread who believe the film Gangs of New York is a documentary, which it is not.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:12 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
wow-- read what I posted-- the FACTS of our history

1- history just shows how we go to this problem- IT IS NOT new- it has been a problem for many years, and one we have NOT corrected it- but allowed to get worse.
Even today the lawmakers wont talk about it, that's why we need reform!

2- today there maybe laws on the books for employers and corps- NOT to hire illegals -but they carry NO real penalties- they wont use E-verify and many employers fail their I-9 inspections, because illegals continue to have JOBS!

YES -OLD GLORY--STOP THEM FROM GETTING JOBS! you gonna picket the companies and fruit farms ?? demand the Corps to stop? let me know when you accomplish this. I am 100% behind you- really I am- do not misconstrue that I am for the rule of laws- with being kind to all human beings and have compassion for their suffering.

3-Outsourced jobs cost us taxpayers a lot of money too!! U.S. workers who were directly displaced by trade with China lost a collective $37 billion in wages = no money- no spending - no taxes collected
------------

quote -
The indian ancestors of the Mexicans never settled within our borders. The descendants of the tribes who did are all full fledged citizens of this country and rightly so. We need reform for what? Since when have only white men been made citizens of this country? Since when haven't women been made citizens of this country?

read the history --
in the beginning ONLY white men were made citizens. Women and civil rights movements changed all that later. We must force lawmakers to bring changes to the immigration problem -they keep hiding under the rug-- our ancestors changed laws all the time, why can't we deal with it in 2015?

Last edited by tinytrump; 10-10-2015 at 06:57 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 06:39 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

1- history just shows how we go to this problem- IT IS NOT new- it has been a problem for many years, and one we have NOT corrected it- but allowed to get worse. Even today the lawmakers wont talk about it. `

2- today there maybe laws on the books for employers and corps- NOT to hire illegals -but they carry NO real penalties-
wont use E-verify and many employers fail their I-9 inspections, because illegals have JOBS!

YES -OLD GLORY--STOP THEM FROM GETTING JOBS! you gonna picket them? demand the Corps to stop? let me know when you accomplish this. I am 100% behind you- but outsourced jobs cost us- taxpayers a lot of money too!!

Many Us citizens born here have Indian blood but will not admit to that- that's what the article stated.
What difference does it make how this problem became accelerated? What we need to do is implement the solutions. The House GOP just wrote a bill to mandate e-verify across the board and to end birthright citizenship for their kids. If that's not doing something then I don't know what is. Think the Democrats will sign this bill? Yeah, right. It's not up to citizens to picket any businesses but how does one know if they hire illegal or not? E-verify will weed them out.

What does any citizens having indian blood or denying that they do have to do with this forum? This forum is about illegal immigration.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, I think I mentioned that. :-) My point is many people of Irish and German decent (Italian, too) are the first to make the claim that their ancestors came here "legally" COMPARING their experience to what is happening now, and there really is no comparison. It's apples and grapefruits. And I imagine, if they were able to communicate with the original ancestor whom arrived on these shores, they'd get a very different story from them than what they imagine.
And just why can't they make that claim based on the fact that most of our ancestors did come here legally? Why keep bringing up the past anyway? Are you saying that because some of our ancestors "may" have come here illegally in the past that justifies illegal immigration today? Since when are we responsible for what our ancestors did or didn't do anyway? We aren't them and they aren't us. Those of us alive "today" are obligated to respect the immigration laws on the books "today".

Old 10-10-2015, 06:58 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:

1- history just shows how we go to this problem- IT IS NOT new- it has been a problem for many years, and one we have NOT corrected it- but allowed to get worse. Even today the lawmakers wont talk about it. `

2- today there maybe laws on the books for employers and corps- NOT to hire illegals -but they carry NO real penalties-
wont use E-verify and many employers fail their I-9 inspections, because illegals have JOBS!

YES -OLD GLORY--STOP THEM FROM GETTING JOBS! you gonna picket them? demand the Corps to stop? let me know when you accomplish this. I am 100% behind you- but outsourced jobs cost us- taxpayers a lot of money too!!

Many Us citizens born here have Indian blood but will not admit to that- that's what the article stated.
Once Trump puts the tariffs on incoming goods to level the playing field for US produced items, like it used to be, outsourcing won't be a problem. With Obama not letting immigration law be enforced, it will take some time to catch up.

This can be done. It will be done and must be done to save our country. We are being devoured by a 3rd world population. How embarrassing.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And just why can't they make that claim based on the fact that most of our ancestors did come here legally? Why keep bringing up the past anyway? Are you saying that because some of our ancestors "may" have come here illegally in the past that justifies illegal immigration today? Since when are we responsible for what our ancestors did or didn't do anyway? We aren't them and they aren't us. Those of us alive "today" are obligated to respect the immigration laws on the books "today".
exactly why we should NOT bring them up -- we don't know if they were legal or NOT- so stop saying it as part of the debate of what needs to be done-

there is a lot of talk- in congress and Lord we know by T Cruz 24 hr speech of green eggs it means NOTHING
they have NOT accepted the responsibility to take action for some time now. why?? you tell me why? if you will not accept that the politicians are bought and paid for -- on both sides -- and until we change that- we can argue for a lifetime

Old 10-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
exactly why we should NOT bring them up -- we don't know if they were legal or NOT- so stop saying it as part of the debate of what needs to be done-

there is a lot of talk- in congress and Lord we know by T Cruz 24 hr speech of green eggs it means NOTHING
they have NOT accepted the responsibility to take action for some time now. why?? you tell me why? if you will not accept that the politicians are bought and paid for -- on both sides -- and until we change that- we can argue for a lifetime
Where did any of us in here state that our politicians aren't bought and paid for? Please point those posts out. I'll wait. What's to argue about if you want this nonsense to end also and are taking steps like we are to see that it does? Why have a deafest attitude or maybe it's something else?

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-10-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 09:07 AM

[quote=Oldglory;41509811]Where did any of us in here state that our politicians aren't bought and paid for? Please point those posts out. I'll wait. What's to argue about if you want this nonsense to end also and are taking steps like we are to see that it does? Or do you have a deafest attitude or maybe......hmm.

You fail to see I agree with you- what I don't see -is what steps are being taken to correct it. We have taken step to handle things in our past-- why not now?
Every time they talk about fixing the mess- it just "poof" disappears. I do NOT listen to candidates promises- let's see what happens when you wear the HAT!

I am not a defeatist or would not vote or serve my country- my hubby's casket was draped with the American flag - I have full commitment to my country- but will not lie about it- cover it up stuff or twist the facts- at least among ourselves.
We opened our doors to the world-- we did not learn how to close them PROPERLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration